main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Dark Jedi" and "Sith": a blunder on the EU's part

Discussion in 'Literature' started by purplerain, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    He knew he was going to die at some point. Hence the Telos Holocron.

2. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    Uum..yeah man. That's exactly what it reads. You honestly think he compiled an omnibus of Sith knowledge for the intentions of it to never be seen/heard/read?

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Absolutely.

jSarek and Skywalker Thing like this.
  4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The one in SWTOR.

Edit: And Palpatine wrote a bunch of self-indulgent books. His holocron was probably created to lord over Luke the same as the books. Palpatine likes to gloat about how smart he is.

5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I thought the war in SWTOR is the Great Galactic War.

6. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That's the war before SWTOR.

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Oh

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Like many words, it changes over the years. When you're playing KOTOR everyone is calling the bad guys "Sith" when they clearly aren't all Sith Lords, Force users, or members of the Sith religion. So when someone is called "The Sith" in the rule of two period, it carries all that baggage and history with it. Which stretches all the way back to Xar Kun getting his enslave on over in Tales of the Jedi.

As for the Dark Jedi / Sith split, it fits nicely when you talk about the PT. Ventress is a Dark Jedi (or Darkside user to pull out an older term) but only Dooku and Palpy are the real "Sith" at that time. (Palpy stripped Maul of his Sith title whilst blasting him with force lightning just so he got the point)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Considering Maul was around when both Plagueis and Tyranus were around, I don't see the Rule of Two as a disqualifier as to who can be accurately identified as a Sith, Banite or not. Especially when one considers that all the while there's an entire planet of Sith.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    OK man deny logic. lol Turned out he did die. Turned out he didn't live forever. Weird huh?

11. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    I bet he also had the Death Star built with the intention of never firing it lol

12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    DigitalMessiah, I wonder what "Sith" meant in the Kun, Revan, and Kreia eras.

13. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Not a big fan of Palpatine in The Essential Guide to the Force tbh. Several of his holocron entries felt pretty out of character.

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've found that's typically the case in the prose those guides contain in general.

But Sidious wrote a bunch of books too, like Rommel. And Luke read them, like Patton. I don't doubt that the holocron was intended for a similar function, so when Palpatine doesn't feel like gloating about his genius to Luke, the gatekeeper of the holocron can fulfill that role.

15. Nom von Anor

Nom von Anor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2012
    In that same Holocron, he explains that although he has no intention of dying, he's willing to share some of his thoughts and experiences regarding the dark side. It's on page 178 in The Essential Guide to the Force.

16. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

So he didn't want to die, but was prepared to die and had the Holocron as a backup. What's the issue here? :confused:

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Why is it assumed that people make holocrons under the assumption that they won't be used until they die? People write books they expect people to read while they're still alive. Vodo-Siosk Baas added himself to the Tedryn holocron and Exar Kun used it while Vodo-Siosk was still alive.

18. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    It goes both ways. It can be used during life and it remains behind long after the creator's life has expired.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    He made a plan for after he died. And then he died,

20. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Planet o Sith aside (They're all Sith but might as well be in Carbon Freeze at that point) I personally view it as Maul lost the privilege of being called a Sith when Obi-Wan lopped him in half. Now that's a demotion! Brings new meaning to the phrase "downsizing" (ba-dum-dum-ching). Palpy lording it over him whilst zapping him just made it official.

Gamiel and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In Bane of the Sith, however, Bane doesn't come up with the Rule of Two until he's being attacked by the orbalisks- at least, that's the impression I get from sources that refer to it.

So- if the Rule of Two notion is retconned to occurring to him further back- then it's not a big leap from that, to Bane sending Kaan the thought bomb ritual "offscreen".

22. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Bane is an insane guy who wears a suit of insects ;) I would not give to much on anything he says.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Then it still wouldn't be something that is established in the comic, just a speculative interpretation of the comic.

24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Jerec was once one of the most talked-about and publicized darksiders in the EU. I feel like he's lost his prominence due to not being a "Sith".

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Ah I am sure Tremayne, Mara, Jerec and Brandl had a lot of great talks about how they are more fun then the Sith. ;)

Skywalker Thing and purplerain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.