main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Respect For George Lucas

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Anakin's Daddy, Nov 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    In this thread, how about we talk about things we LIKE about George Lucas, the man that started it all.

Why? Well, ever since the Special Editions, and then Episode 1, many people were angry at George Lucas. Over the years there has been so much disrespect towards him all over the web and personally I find it awful. I mean I really feel bad for the guy. Here we have a man with an incredible imagination that gave us the best films of ALL TIME, and everyone is still whining and complaining that he couldn't live up to his standards. Just look at what he was up against.

A quote from George Lucas about making more movies after the prequels:
    "Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?"

Source: http://entertainment.msn.com/beacon/editorial12.aspx?ptid=c4db07f3-d88a-4d47-8df7-4557e17d344f

...That's pretty sad if you ask me. As much as I dislike Jar Jar, I simply don't think he deserves the disrespect.

Personally I think it was an incredibly brave move for him to make the Prequels so different than the originals. Making them like the originals would have been the easy way out, however, he pushed the envelope and did something new. And now, he's been paying the price ever since. Sure the prequels have some flaws, but as a whole they are actually fantastic movies, despite what anyone says. They're a heck of a lot better than a lot of movies coming out today. Also, because the prequels were so different, the Star Wars universe became so much more diverse, which is a great thing.

So, Basically what Im trying to say is that for Star Wars fans, we owe George Lucas EVERYTHING and as hardcore Star Wars fans (I consider most people on this site to be a hard core Star Wars fans, because you're on a freakin' forum) we need to remember that. And we also need to remember that the new trilogy is coming out because of HIM. He still created it and set the framework for the new trilogy. He understands that they need to be made by someone else and he is still doing what he thinks is best for Star Wars like he always has, even when we feel he didn't get is quite right.

I have all the respect in the world for the man and no matter how you look at it, he made the best movies of all time wether you like the prequels or not.

Here's to my hero, George Lucas.

2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  4. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    (I consider most people on this site to be a hard core Star Wars fans, because you're on a freakin' forum)
    -------------

you assume too much.

Anyway: the man has great vision and knew how to get that vision on screen, he knew what he wanted and put it there.

That takes guts.

5. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    If there was anything I ever respected about Lucas that made it through him selling SW to Disney, it's his stance on the EU. "There's MY universe, then there's that universe."

6. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    I respect him for creating this wonderful universe that we all love arguing about.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    You cant begrudge him selling it to Disney. After all the years he put into his franchise, he had every right to walk away. That man has suffered more stress and grief that we will ever know. I am amazed he survived it with his health relatively intact, to be perfectly honest.

I love George Lucas for transforming the movie industry and giving us a story that has crossed generations.

8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I like his flannelette shirts.

-Jedi Joe- and Pensivia like this.
  9. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    As far as I'm concerned,

Hating fans kicked him out of the business.

Lucas bashers don't deserve to enjoy Star Wars.

George Lucas needs respect, as the thread creator stated.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Darkslayer like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Good words? Jar Jar?

Does not compute...

12. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
  13. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    With the OP, I agree wholeheartedly, although I feel there's more to it than that. Even I've been critical of my fair share of what I perceive to be flaws in the PT, and the re-mastered OT, but that doesn't mean that I have any less respect for Lucas as a person or as a genius mastermind behind one of--if not THE--greatest franchises of all time. There's a difference between fan devotion to a product that you love, and passion bordering on obsession. A typical fan devotee to Star Wars--myself included--admittedly, will tear apart anything that they perceive to be flawed because we care so strongly about Star Wars, and we all have our preferences as to what makes us fans. Heck, we even say stuff we don't mean sometimes in the heat of a debate or whatever. Now, the latter (obsession) drives a "die-hard" fan to take things too far, such as when threats are made toward Lucas or his family, and even personal attacks are made toward his character. Thankfully that doesn't seem to happen on this website. The key is not to be detrimental or demeaning, and in large part I'd like to think that most, if not everyone on these forums are just devoted fans that wish the best for a product that they grew to care about through George Lucas' genius.

...and rest assured, Lucas is having a good laugh at our expense due to the lack of Star Wars news at the moment, so it all balances itself out.

14. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Loving the positivity in this thread!:)

15. Ananta Chetan

Ananta Chetan Force Ghost star 5

Aug 11, 2013
    I posted this a few days ago in a thread in the In-Depth forum and it seemed relevant here as well...

I want to emphasize that by sharing this that I am not condoning or encouraging criticizing GL by any means...but more as a way that I have found that helps me to be compassionate and understand (or at least try to) why some fans act as they do to someone and something that is obviously so important to them in their lives.

16. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    George Lucas has very strong camera work and editing behind him. Throughout the trilogy, multiple shots in the films are breathtaking and it's pasted together artistically and with a lot of love.

17. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    This is a good point. And Ananta (above) made a similar one. I have torn apart TPM and AOTC myself. Do I wish they were better films? Absolutely. Heck I think there are even some things that could have been better in the OT. We want to do this because we love Star Wars so much.

18. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    I am sure George Lucas is laughing all the way to the bank and cares very little about what pee-ons think about his work. Sure it's easy to be critical of his films, but it makes very little difference. He has stated in numerous articles that he was making the movies that he wanted to make, which is why he allows the EU stories, because those are what the critical fans should be reading. Better yet, let's see critical fans write their own books, It won't have near the impact of what George Lucas has created. If I had ten seconds of George Lucas time, I I would only say this... "Thank you for letting us (the fans) have the 'E-Ticket' on your Magic Carpet." Then I would lower my head in respect and go about my business.

19. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    I am sure George Lucas is laughing all the way to the bank and cares very little about what pee-ons think about his work. Sure it's easy to be critical of his films, but it makes very little difference

you see this is what I knew this thread would become, making remarks about people that are critical about his work (as if it's against decency to have an opposing view). And by that same token it makes very little difference to him to those that like his work if "he's laughing all the way to the bank"

He has stated in numerous articles that he was making the movies that he wanted to make

he also stated at the lifetime achievement awards in his speech that he wants people to enjoy his movies, otherwise there would be no point in making them.

Better yet, let's see critical fans write their own books, It won't have near the impact of what George Lucas has created.

reverse logic, for all you know Tolkien, Rowling, King or even Shakespeare could have been/are critical of Star Wars, what would you say to these successful people?

Edit: I don't mean to be argumentative of your point, I too (believe it or not) respect the work and world creating of Lucas, I think AOTC is a marvellous film and would probably put it in my top ten, I just don't like when fans of any franchise call others out on not liking the same things they do.

20. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    All things are matters of opinion.

Interesting how you left this little bit of my comment...

If I had ten seconds of George Lucas time, I I would only say this... "Thank you for letting us (the fans) have the 'E-Ticket' on your Magic Carpet." Then I would lower my head in respect and go about my business.

In the end, it makes little difference, George Lucas has achieved more than his detractors, critics and haters.

Peace, JKOB1

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Sith-Mullet like this.
  21. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    If I had ten seconds of George Lucas time, I I would only say this... "Thank you for letting us (the fans) have the 'E-Ticket' on your Magic Carpet." Then I would lower my head in respect and go about my business.

that's because I agreed :p

22. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I am going to agree that George Lucas is pretty much a bad ass, and none of us would even know about Star Wars, if not for his vision. Sure, people are going to love him or hate him, but I agree, he made the films that he wanted to make. He became a Billionaire may times over in the process. Good day to Mr Lucas.

23. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Fans complain about all actors and directors, as Lucas is not the only one. Go ask Ben Affleck what fans think of him playing Batman in the Batman/Superman movie in 2015. Go ask Francis Ford Coppola what fans thought of Godfather III and what they thought of his own daughter playing in the movie too. Go ask Brett Ratner what fans thought X Men: The Final Stand and how they thought he ruined the franchise after taking over as director.

I don't condone this type of stuff, but the internet (Twitter, Facebook, Movie Forums) has given a microphone to ALL fans to voice their opinion unfiltered. I feel for Lucas, but every person in Hollywood gets grief from the fans if they don't like something they do, as thats the trade off for being millionaires. As the old saying goes, "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

24. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

I'm sure Lucas doesn't lose much sleep or dwells too much on it

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Carbon1985 like this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He's given a lot of money to public education.

JediKnightOB1 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.