main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Ignorance is Bias: The Diversity Manifesto

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Sep 2, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    While it might be a little on the strict side, it does seem to be having the desired effect of increasing awareness of the issue.

Contessa likes this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Just want to say that they took up the problems with the Bechdel test on the news when they introduced it and it is not any of our large "national" cinema groups that has begun to use it (jet?) and it is just there to increasing awareness of the issue not to say that the non-A films are bad

3. JediFreac

JediFreac Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002

I still don't buy this. People say that our world is colorblind, too, but "saying" it doesn't make it so. It's still a fundamental issue where authors need to show and not tell. It is completely "unrealistic" that people with darker skin in universe haven't noticed this disparity when readers out of universe have. That doesn't mean that it must be a salient plot point. I'm just saying Luke Skywalker hasn't admitted very many humans with dark skin in his Jedi Academy. And Jacen and Jaina have no friends darker than a paper bag.

4. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    The problem with the Bechdel test is that it is constructed with an inherent bias towards certain plot structures - particularly large ensemble casts - and towards having the protagonist be female.

The latter is particularly important since a movie with a female protagonist will almost certainly pass the Bechdel test (unless all conversation in said film is about men) but it doesn't mean that movie will be featuring strong depictions of women. I believe most if not all of the Twilight films pass the test, and those are practically anti-feminist movies.

Many movies are structures in such a fashion that almost all of the conversations consist of the protagonist talking to someone or otherwise characters simply declaiming things into the air - the Captain America movie is a good example, sure it could have had more female characters but the dialogue in that film consists almost entirely of Cap talking to other people and on the villain side the Red Skull doing the same thing. Increasing the number of female background characters would not have made the movie pass the test. Heck even something like Agents of SHIELD probably has episodes that don't pass the test, even though it has a 50/50 gender split in the main cast, simply because the plotline does not necessarily call for those people to talk to each other in any given episode.

So I dislike this ratings system, because it is a 'teach to test' approach to social progress. Assuming it becomes popular you will see changes made to films to include brief conversations between two women so they garner an 'A' rating rather than make more substantial changes.

The universe as a whole contains almost as many persons of color as it does white people so I'm not sure what it is unrealistic for people in-universe to have noticed.

Yes for some reason in a certain historical time and place there seems to have been an anomaly where white persons predominated for a time for some as yet unexplained reason. The franchise is gradually correcting itself over time.

And what people say about the real world versus what people say about fantasy worlds are not the same thing. There are plenty of nonsense things about the Star Wars universe that have been declared to be true by fiat - the size of the Death Star II for one, and we have to live with those.

There is no active evidence of racial prejudice by any Human character to another Human character anywhere in any Star Wars product I am aware exists. Taking a disparity in appearance rates by certain ethnic groups that is traceable primarily to the composition of the Original Trilogy and holding it over the franchise effectively forever is not reasonable.

5. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    [​IMG]

Casting call for Star Wars Episode VII. The first role, for a woman character, is open to all ethnicities. The second role for the man doesn’t specify, which in Hollywood implicitly communicates to casting directors, agents, and actors that they want a white actor.

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    You sure this is for SW? Sounds like it could be for one of those Disney Musicals [face_dunno]

7. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Fun little diversity tidbit: Marvel is launching a new Ms. Marvel series, starring a teenage Muslim girl. I don't have anything resembling a encyclopedic knowledge of super heroes, but this is at least the first mainstream Muslim super hero that I can think of.

8. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Depends what's considered "mainstream" when it comes to comics. Marvel's had a few, with the members of their Iraqi superhero team Desert Sword presumably among them. Dust from X-Men comes to mind, as well. On DC's side, their newest human Green Lantern, Simon Baz, is Muslim, as is Nightrunner, Iron Butterfly, Amon and Adriana Tomaz prior to (and possibly after) getting their Egyptian god-based powers, and Naif al-Sheikh. Damian "Ibn al-Xu'ffasch" Wayne, as the son of Talia al Ghul is likely, though I don't remember if it was ever canonically confirmed.

Regardless, Kamala Khan seems like an interesting character, and a step in the overall right direction for comic protagonists.

Contessa likes this.
  9. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Ah, seems there's quite a bit more than I realized. I should have at least remembered Simon Baz.

10. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Look based on the facts in Star Wars you either have to assume a correlation between pale skin and force sensitivity or you have to assume Luke Skywalker is a racist when looking at the NJO. Also lol I would add Ben to the list of no friends darker then a paper bag but that would be pointless because he has no friends.

Contessa likes this.
  11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do they actually describe the skin colour of all the human students in JA? If not which once is it that get a description?

12. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    While the NJO Jedi Council may be entirely white, which is certainly awkward, it does not force anyone to assume anything. It's not a sample size of any significance!

The NJO High council contains/contained the following Humans: Luke Skywalker, Kenth Hamner, Kyp Durron, Corran Horn, Mara Jade Skywalker, Kyle Katarn, Octa Ramis, Jaina Solo Fel, Kam Solusar, and Tionne Solusar. That's ten people, just ten. Out of those eight are absolutely white - a case could be made for Octa Ramis as mixed race (her existing images are low resolution), and for Tionne as just odd, possibly even having some Near-Human ancestry. Regardless, it's ten people.

The entire NJO, as a whole, of all species, is only ~200 individuals, and that includes a large number of characters from Legacy.

A case can be made for racism in Star Wars in the Original Trilogy. Outside of that specific context - and of products that primarily derive their characters from the OT that case doesn't function.

13. JediFreac

Mar 7, 2002
    The same can be said about the US Supreme Court and the US Presidency. 9 at a time or 44 out of a history of a country of millions is not a "statistically significant sample size." But these real life entities, and the NJO Jedi Council, are NOT derived from "random" sampling.

Contessa likes this.
  14. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    The Bechdel test isn't, afaik, intended to be useful for judging the feminist merits of any single work; the fact that Red Sonja hits all three points says pretty much everything that needs to be said about its utility for that purpose. What is revealing is the proportion of works that fail it, regardless of the particulars of why each fails.

Next up, Karen Traviss retcons midichlorian count to be tied to the genes for skin color, so that she can prove the Jedi are basically Nazis.

Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    No, that would be just about every other Star Wars author writing Jedi over the past twenty years.

Contessa, Robimus and Skaddix like this.
  16. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Contessa, jSarek and Mia Mesharad like this.
  17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    So it turns out that the http://clubjade.net/?p=55502]Tiny[/url] Death Star game has a high diversity score. Not only is it chock full of aliens, but your little Imperial bitizens come with various skintones. They also come with various hilarious little outfits, and mash-up names (for instance, I just had an "Anya Lemelisk.") You can also sometimes find (or buy, using in-game money) VIPs such as Luke, Shadowtroopers, Lando, Admiral Ackbar ( AdmiralNick22 ), etc.

The best of all is that you work for His Imperial Majesty, who gives you missions and who just looks the cutest in a little 8-bit pixel format [face_love]

And you can add different levels, from cantinas and music halls to a series of Imperial facilities :D

Best.phone.game.ever.

edit:

[​IMG]

omg!!!!!

edit: It also has an in-game encyclopedia, which rejects racism:

"Toydarian: Small, winged aliens who prefer fluttering to walking, Toydarians are the galaxy's consummate merchants. Some are unfairly seen as corrupt; others are fairly corrupt."

Gorefiend and CooperTFN like this.
  18. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Diversity Score: one million.

19. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    When did E.T. seize control of the Empire?

20. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Also look just because a the absolute number is small does not mean an office like the presidency tells you nothing based on that fact that all presidents except one are white dudes and all presidents are males. Now what it tells you is tricky but it means something so yes the fact that Luke's NJO council is basically all white dudes is kinda relevant especially when u compare it against the OJO that had 1 White Dude on it, 2 if you want to count Anakin but really he was a Palpatine plant and did not have the rank of master.

Contessa likes this.
  21. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Can you name me one human Jedi in the NJO that has been confirmed to have a skin color other than white?

Contessa likes this.
  22. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Tionne, I think?

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Negatory. Possible, not confirmed.

24. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
  25. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    Something good came from Fate of the Jedi? I'd say stranger things have happened, but...