main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wasn't that a change from in the pre-Special edition version, where it was Biggs not Wedge that saved Luke?

2. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    I'm not aware of it being a change. All I'm aware of is them adding the Luke and Biggs scene.

3. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought Luke's line "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" was changed to "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?"

4. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    I'm pretty sure "Blast it Biggs, where are you ?" Is still in the film at least in the 04 DVD release. Did it change in the blu-rays ? Didn't Luke saved Biggs during the battle, I'm currently rewatching the saga, but have yet to go back to Episode 4

5. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

Nope. It's always been Biggs. Then Wedge swoops in and vapes the TIE. "Thanks, Wedge." "Good shooting Wedge."

kataja and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Confirmed: the line in the blu ray is still there

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    This site said otherwise:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076759/alternateversions

There are a few noticeable differences between the version shown on ITV on British television during the 1980s and early, pre-'remastered' video releases:
    • The sound quality of the voices heard over intercoms and radios during the Battle of Yavin is very different.
    • On TV, Luke says "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?" On the video he says, "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?"
    • On TV, Porkins' final dying scream is drowned out.
    • On TV, a stormtrooper searching for the droids on Tatooine says, "This one's secure, move onto the next one". On the video he says 'locked' instead of secure.
    The 1981 re-issue contains three dialogue differences from the original. First is the appearance of the "close the blast doors" line that was silenced in the 1981 version. The 1977 version has Aunt Beru's line "All his friends have gone" places emphasis on "friends" rather than "gone" in the 1981 version. Finally, Luke shouts "Blast it, Wedge, where are you?" rather than "Blast it, Biggs, where are you?" Because Luke's head is turned to the side, it's impossible to tell which is the on-set name used. The redubbing makes Wedge's rescue of Luke more unexpected.

EDIT: Wookieepedia also confirms this:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

8. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Okay. I rephrase my statement then.

In every version of the movie I've seen it's been "Blast it, Biggs."

Jedi Ben and MasterSkywalker86 like this.
  9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Anywho, doesn't Luke save Biggs from a tie fighter in ANH ?

10. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    In the new SW, Luke's "visions" will turn out to be the product of shrooms on Tattooine, he never left, he's a moisture farmer and Porkins is the hero!

Yes, of course, you trust this information, don't you? ;)

11. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Psh, I don't see Disney making more minor "additions" to their films. Now answer my question you old coot :p jk

12. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Been ages since I watched it and besides, memory gets more unreliable with age kid!

13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Time for a rewatch me thinks ;)

14. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Revanfan1:
    The thing is though that Luke was always the first Rogue Leader in all of the other stories. Then Luke transferred leadership to Wedge when he felt he needed to concentrate on all things Jedi.

Iron_lord:
    That does absolutely nothing for me! I hate it when heroes are turned into villains or near-villains. I've never been a fan of the "anti-hero" either. I also feel that one Skywalker going to the dark side is more than enough, thank you! Luke was willing to die TWICE rather than join the darkside. Why would he be willing to do it years later? And since Luke didn't commit evil acts on Byss, I don't see how anyone could think of him as a darksider anyway.

Sheesh! I hate that comic book! Too many people are all too happy to believe that Luke would fall to the dark side because of it!

And why wouldn't Luke believe that Kyp could be redeemed????? He believed his father, who had done terrible evil for 20 years could be redeemed and he turned out to be right about that.

kataja:
    First of all, this is a fantasy story where 14 year old girls can be ELECTED queens of a planet and 16 year old girls can be the oh--so-skillful-and-perfect Emperor's secret assassin. In that kind of a universe, an 18 or 19 year old leading a squadron isn't so far-fetched. Sometimes thinking too logically about something in a SW film ruins some of the fun and excitement. ;)

Secondly, the Rebel Alliance is supposed to be a "ragtag" outfit. They would probably be thrilled to have someone who shows leadership qualities and great piloting skills. They're not going to care how old that person is! Grab him and USE HIM!! :p

But how much more experienced was Wedge really? He isn't that much older than Luke, and he seemed less calm than Luke in the Death star battle.

The thing is though that THIS seems to BE the new canon! :(

And I think he does. He comes off sort of jerky at one point, and he seems more immature and irresponsible than he was three months earlier in ANH. That's regression in a characterization; not growth.

Nobody145:
    Hi, N!!! I didn't even like Luke's characterization from the beginning in the Wood comics.

Since it *is* so busy, they shouldn't be trying to stick other stories in it. This was also covered in Marvel, and, I think, some earlier Dark Horse comics too. What we don't have enough of is stories about Luke and his Jedi on missions.

Do you mean post Bespin?

I agree. Those stories have been done before... and better too!

EXACTLY!!! And I still don't "buy" Leia as an X-wing pilot... especially not as the leader of the group. Not only does it not seem logical that Leia is an X-wing pilot, but if she was, why didn't she join the Death Star battle when, as Luke told Han, every pilot was needed??? They were literally fighting for survival. But I also don't "buy" this particular story, because I very much doubt that the Alliance would have allowed Leia, their symbol, to risk her life flying in an X-wing. She was too valuable to them as a Rebel leader and the last Princess of Alderaan.

15. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Just passing through, but I felt this warranted some comment...

The major problem is that Star Wars, as a series of movies and as an overall franchise, is severely lacking LGBT+ representation. This is a glaring issue that deserves legitimate attention, and featuring a non-straight character or characters in the new movies would be more than a welcome step in the right direction. That said, insisting that Luke should be revealed as gay is not the best course of action. It would be powerful due to his high profile status as a symbol of Star Wars, but it would be largely in conflict with the character as established. In the films alone we see that he is attracted to women, followed by the later addition of a number of other female love interests, before finally marrying a woman. That's...there now. It's in his character. Could it be revealed that he's bisexual? Sure. It's not even all that uncommon; Da Vinci himself was a bisexual man who appears to have favored women in his youth and men as he aged. But his heterosexuality is a long established part of his character and, through his relationship with Mara, fathering of Ben, and continuing the Skywalker lineage down to Kol and Cade, it's an important part.

A newly introduced, well-written, visible, and canonically non-straight character is vastly preferable to a late-to-the-game alteration to Luke Skywalker. People deserve representation in the fictional universe they love, but it should be done complimentary to the ongoing story, not in conflict with it.

The situation is vastly different than both Harry Potter and Halo, insofar as both of these tales are explicitly bound to Earth, and with it, all of our world's history and prejudice. Star Wars, however, has no such shackles it's forced to acknowledge and has the ability to step beyond those boundaries in new, more naturally inclusive ways.

In A Practical Man, when we were first introduced to the character of Goran Beviin, the character of Medrit was referred to in a manner entirely consistent with the way in which every other character would casually refer to their spouse. Their home, their life together, and even the thought of adopting children was discussed. When Sacrifice rolled around, yes, we're shown that Medrit is in fact a man. And yet they continue to live together, and are shown to have raised their adopted daughter together, as well as being remarked upon as a family. The same situation is present in Revelation, and if it were not already clear enough, The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia spells it out in no uncertain terms, one of the benefits of contributing to a shared, unified universe. The people who missed it, as you point out, likely did so because of the overwhelming heteronormative nature present in Star Wars prior to that point, wherein the only canon character to be previously established as gay was Juhani—a character, I might add, whose orientation was also revealed through her actions and context, rather than a flashing neon sign. It was a long overdue swipe against the grain, and so many simply wrote it off because it was unusual and not Star Wars and that just doesn't show up here...except it did.

Part of the reason characters like Juhani and Goran and Medrit are considered "subtle" is because, as I said earlier, there's this expectation from an Earth-bound perspective that anything that isn't cisgendered heterosexual is going to be othered and poke out of the narrative as not normal. In Star Wars, there's just no context for such a mindset. Humans have long outgrown classical racism, if it ever existed at all among the human populous of the Star Wars galaxy, and with all signs pointing to homophobia being on its way out in the real world, such sensibilities only make sense to have been left behind with racism in Star Wars. In the Mandalorian culture, we see that all beings from all walks of life are equally accepted. For a Mandalorian to comment on Goran and Medrit's relationship as though it were anymore unusual than any other married couple would reflect poorly by comparison on Mandalorian society. For Jaina or any other outsider to comment on it as though it were unusual, it would reflect equally poorly on the larger galactic society. Instead, like Mace or Lando's place among their white peers, it's so normal as to be above reproach and beneath the need to comment. It just...is. And that's how it should be.

16. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    LGBT have no place in Star Wars as far as I am concerned...

17. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Care to elaborate?

18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Well that's something you're bringing to the table, and really isn't Star Wars' problem. It's also something you're going to have to learn to deal with, since canon non-straight characters are already here, they definitively exist, and if TOR multimedia is anything to go by, the trend of their inclusion in the narrative is only going to proliferate in response to the changing tides of fandom. All people deserve representation—deserve to see a reflection of themselves—in the fiction they love.

19. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There is no point in elaborating, because if I say anymore I am liable to anger a lot of people.

20. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Any thoughts on this picture?

[​IMG]

I can't recall where it's from - possibly The Essential Readers Companion. But it shows Luke clutching what looks like Sith Lightning rather than Emerald Lightning, and it shows a Palpatine in the outfit he wears prior to Luke's assassination attempt on him (and also looking like he does prior to his transition into a younger body).

21. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Can we please change the topic ? this isn't really relating to the character in any way but more a focus on the social issue and Star
    Wars as a whole.

Iron_lord, that's easy for starters that was the cover for the 3rd edition of the DE tpb. You'll also recall Luke wields lighting on the cover of Dark Nest:TSW but never does so in the story, the same is true of DE. In order words covers lie

kataja and ChildOfWinds like this.
  22. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    ^^Indeed, cool cover though. Had it as my screensaver for a while.

And I agree drop the LGBT issue. This is a Luke Skywalker thread and it's already been agreed that has no bearing on his character past, present, or future.

23. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Guess what was just on the box?

And yeah, it's Wedge that saves Luke from a TIE.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I like the idea that Luke calls for Biggs but Wedge comes instead. Not because it makes Biggs unreliable but because it starts the bond between Luke and Wedge we see later on. Oh, and then there is the fact that Wedge saves Luke first, and then Luke repays him by telling him to leave the trench.

kataja likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.