main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    I thought the pointed tip sabers looked a little weird, I kind of like the shape of the OT sabers a bit better. However, the lightsaber effect looks MUCH, MUCH better in the PT. And I'm surprised at how subsequent versions of the OT releases didn't really improve on the quality of the blade effect. I'm sure they changed the tones and stuff, but I can't really tell much difference

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "Detach thread"!
    [​IMG]
    "Thread detached"!

3. Solent

Solent Jedi Master star 2

Aug 4, 2001
    Remember when they got referenced in KotoR? Did they send scouts through intergalactic space, or did they wait around 4000 years to invade?

Ryus and purplerain like this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Scouts.

5. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I agree. I have enjoyed the post-RotJ EU (particularly NJO and beyond) but I look forward to a reboot.

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Maybe one the reasons we may not see the solo kids is because most of them where killed off, except for jaina.

7. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I really doubt anything that happened in the novels will affect episode 7.

8. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Basically, I'm predicting the Next Generation of Skywalkers and Solo offspring to be the star of the films without any sort of mention of the offspring in the novels. They might use a name, if only because "Ben" is a great name for the kid of Luke Skywalker. But I expect, for the purposes of the film, Jania/Jacen/Anakin & Ben will have never existed. And then come a mountain of retcons!

9. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Really? I always thought "Ben Skywalker" was a horrible idea for Luke's child's name...

10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Ben is a character Lucas wasn't informed of according to an LFL employee (but her name is escaping me atm, her exact quote was something like Lucas was told Luke was getting married but not about the resulting kid... if true it implies Lucas may at the time not seen a conflict with Luke getting married in the EU and his own plot direction for ep VII... EDIT: wookieepedia (on Ben's page) identified her as Sue Rostoni http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sue_Rostoni). So we have no idea what Georges opinion here is as to a son or the name Ben. Though there have been leaks over the years stating future gen 'Skywalkers' be this due to his originally planned Luke's sisters kids (not Leia) or Luke's kids and tied into Lucas's old quote from the late 80's saying Luke would get a female love interest in the sequal trilogy is pure conjecture... but valid conjecture.

That said Mark Hamill was interviewed on Ben and stated Pablo told him about Ben recently, then added his full support here about the characters creation stating basically Lucas informed him of the general direction he wanted to take Luke and him passing down the torch to a new gen, and in his own opinion Ben was the most logical choice. We know Lucas did ask Hamill many times in RotJ his opinion on what Luke should do.

Now I'm willing to bet Pablo is heavily involved in VII and Hamill has been interviewed about returning as Luke. Not sure if this will lead to 'Ben Skywalker' or at least a convo about his adaption but the odds of it do jump up a bit imho.

To me Ben just made too much sense and I loved the father and son thermatic theme continuing.

11. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Assuming there are multiple Solo children, it's possible we'll see the death of one or more of them somewhere in VII/VIII/IX.

12. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    ok last try to get an answer is anything in the wookiepedia timeline GL sanctioned apart from the movies?

13. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Here what bob iger said last year on what disney has plans for the Star wars Expanded universe, even thou the sequel trilogy wont be based on it but will touch a part in universe that has not been touched before.

Timothy zahn and others have talked about how there novels can coexists with there works and maybe have an x-wing series based in the the expanded universe. So if we do get Expanded universe stuff, it would most likely be animated movies and animated series.

But I am not saying this is going to happen or not. Like this thread and me Are only have thoughts of speculations. We still don't know the fate of Star wars. But we do know is theres going to be alot of movies and TV shows is in the future!

14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Just Plageuis, the new Brian wood comics, Maul Lockdown,, Kenobi, The Dark times comics, the new OT Mini series coming out from Hark Horse
    The empire, and Rebellion series from Sel Rey, and Pre Plageuis material

that's it

http://lightsaberrattling.com/?p=26

@stern_man More than 140 chars allow. Nutshell: story group is about ensuring future storytelling meshes better far more than in past
    — Pablo Hidalgo (Infinata) July 29, 2013

Pablo Hidalgo ?Infinata 12 Sep
    @StarWarsJedinyt Hadn't heard that before. The heart of the canon is Episodes I-VI and TCW.

MaGnUs ?@lordmagnusen 19 Oct
    Infinata Hey, are you doing any work for "Rebels"?
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ?Infinata 19 Oct
    @lordmagnusen Yeah, I'm lucky to be part of that team.
    Hide conversation

SW Beyond the Films ?@SWBeyondFilms 15 Sep
    So these Standalone Origin movies.... changes won't be limited to POST-ROTJ EU Folks.
    Expand
    Pablood Hidalghoul ?Infinata 15 Sep
    @SWBeyondFilms turns out 'beyond films' will be an interesting spot to be in a future dominated BY films :)

15. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Wookiepedia is a fan site. Nothing more. Sanctioned has nothing to do with it.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  16. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    And the good news for myself and clone wars fans is we are not just getting random bonus material of season six, we are acuatally getting season six and have it end by its own terms instead of leaving season five in the middle of nowhere.

And heres the proof right here. http://www.imdb.com/news/ni56294721/

Star war rebels will have more seasons then the clones did.

Anyways back to the fate of the post-return of the jedi EU.

17. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    im glad i never read an EU book, think i would be a bit upset if I had

18. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    Wookiepedia, is a purely fan site, when anyone at Lucasfilm has a question, they go to Leland Chee, and his Holocron database, or Pablo Hidalgo.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  19. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Well, even non canon information is presented but they put up a warning to such sections.

20. darthfettus2015

Nov 15, 2012
    is there an official timeline on Starwars.com or is it basically the films and thats it? - thanks i think thats my answer, tho it does seem a massive conincidence if EP7 is set 45 years or so later

21. newdawn12

Feb 9, 2013
    No timeline, you find coverage of newly released books, and comics, but it's basically Movies 1 to 6, TCW, and Rebels development.
    And the only thing post ROTJ that get coverage, is the Sequel Trilogy

22. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    You know what's curious? Apparently, in a recently released excerpt from Maul: Lockdown, Maul fights with a Yuuzhan Vong. Assuming this novel will be a part of the supposedly "new" continuity henceforth, that would mean that the Vong are indeed going to be a part of the "new" canon. What do you think of this?

I'm not sure you can take this article at full face value. AFAIK, Filoni never explicitly stated in his FB message that there would be a full Season 6 of 22 episodes, and in fact, based on what information we TCW fans have gathered from various sources like interviews and writer tweets, I believe there will be at least 11-15 episodes with possibly some additional episodes containing unfinished animation---but no word yet on exactly how many episodes we are getting.

Also, where did you get that Rebels will have more seasons than TCW did? Five seasons for an animated show is already considered a lot, and we can't predict the future. Who knows if Rebels will also fall victim to a sudden cancellation? Given Greg Weisman's track record, unfortunately this may not be too unlikely... But I would be hopeful that Rebels will last many seasons, regardless! What I've seen so far is very promising.

23. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    As someone who's ambivalent about the EU (I love some of it, hate some of it), I don't have a problem with a new post-ROTJ continuity. We saw something very similar with earlier EU; Marvel's original comics and the ANH novelization were retconned when we learned that Darth Vader was Anakin and that the Emperor was a Sith and not just one of many distant emperors. Comic books have often rebooted their continuities with new volumes, and, admittedly, sometimes this distances fans (not me, usually), but it also often results in some fresh content and ideas.

I'm not the kind of fan who gets annoyed when the story doesn't remain the same forever, or who demands that authors have their story 100% perfect before releasing it. I think ideas improve over time and they grow from fan reaction and critical feedback. And sometimes authors change their minds, or what wasn't clear to them at one point crystallizes. So I'm all for embracing a new EU continuity, and I hope that some of the better elements of the previous EU are retained while others are detached.

I'd rather have Lucas, JJ, Arndt, Kasdan, and etc. in control of the new continuity than some of the EU creators, who, as well-meaning as they might have been, aren't necessarily the cream of the creative community.

24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    This is going to be exactly like how it always worked, the filmmakers are not, and should not, be beholden to what has been laid out in spin-off materiel. It's the job of publishing to somehow make it fit together into a cohesive single continuity. The retcon backflips should be interesting to watch. Or, the lazier, not as fun way, some random webpost saying "all post ROTJ-EU now Not Canon. Follow us on twitter! Kthanxsbye."

purplerain likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, I'd say there's a genuine difference: in the "old" EU, even the spin-off material itself wasn't really that cohesive or centrally-planned. Everything we've heard suggests that's no longer going to be the case.

...Also, since you're apparently unable to let the idea go, I'm going to reiterate that obliterating the old EU (post-ROTJ or otherwise) in-continuity is pretty much the only conceivable thing L&D could do that I actually would take as - to use the phrasing of hyperbolic EU fans - "a slap in the face". Possibly enough of one to make me more-or-less boycott non-film products, in fact.

Circular Logic and purplerain like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.