main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga If introducing someone new to SW. Which trilogy would you have them watch first?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Jcuk, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed! It doesn't help that there is two Binary sunsets within 30 minutes give or take 5 minutes of each other.

JediWheelz likes this.
  2. Anakin's Daddy

Anakin's Daddy Force Ghost star 4

Aug 13, 2002
    True! And to me, Episode 3 is much more enjoyable when you know what is to come. ...seeing baby Luke at that binary sunset is a perfect example.

By the way, once 7, 8 & 9 are out we'll all be talking about the viewing order again! 4-5-6, 1-2-3, 7-8-9? Plus what about the spin off films? It's about to get much more complicated! :p

JediWheelz likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Well, let me ask you this, are you a parent? See, this is about a bonding experience between a parent and their child. About sharing a positive experience with your children with something that meant quite a bit to you, back when you were younger. I didn't see ANH until I was about four and it was only a result of my family popping the tape in the VCR and letting me watch it, in an effort to get me to watch something that they had seen and enjoyed. It was the same way with other films that my mom and step father had seen a lot in their youth, but for myself and my siblings, we were only getting to enjoy now that we were at that age. Classic cinema. It extends beyond just cinema and includes literature, sports and certain types of outdoor activities like fishing and camping.
    Why? What's wrong with having two of them?

4. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Ending with ROTS is more rewarding to me because we see the story evolve over the years. The Force, the lightsaber duels, the galaxy etc.
    4-6, 1-3, 7-9
    1-9
    4-9, 1-3
    4-6 through Dagobah, 1-3, rest of 6, 7-9.
    The possibilities are endless.

Why? What's wrong with having two of them?[/quote]

Watching the movies 1-6 will have a Binary Sunset at the end of ROTS and shortly thereafter in ANH. Not sure how far into ANH the binary sunset is but that is 20-25 minutes in so that long apart between the two. Ruins the mood of both having them so close together. ANH 20 minutes in, ESB, ROTJ, TPM, AOTC and binary sunset at the end of ROTS. Heroes journey beginning and the end of the saga as we know it. No oversaturation of the scene. Both are more poingant that way.

Sarge likes this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    W t f is a binary sunset? I've never hear Lucas mention it. Is this a fan made term for that scene? Anyway Id show them Ep 2-5 as a trilogy & then 1 & 6 as a bonus.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Binary sunset, Force Theme same thing.

7. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    How is that?

Tatooine has two suns. Tatoo I and Tatoo II. Both suns "rise" and "set" at the same time, only a bit a part space wise. Since we live in a solar system with only one sun, we call it a sunset. But if you have two suns, then it becomes a binary sunset.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just feels redundant having the Binary Sunset twice so close to each other. That moment needs meaning imo and having it so close ruins something.

Sarge likes this.
  9. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I don't know if I commented on this but 1-6 beginning middle and end (and before anyone tries to correct me yes I am aware its 1-9 now but they're not made yet :p)

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I'd probably recommend that they watch the OT first because Lucas made the films in that order, but it's difficult to gauge as to whether or not that would be the right choice as I've read many fans liked watching the PT first...so, I honestly wouldn't know, and I'd direct that someone to someone else who might know. That way I don't have to deal with it.

11. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

But what is that something?

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    If we had Christmas everyday how would you feel? Something like that.

13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Not comparable, really. We have sunsets every day. They're common place. With Christmas, if you're rich, every day is Christmas.

14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The Binary Sunset scenes in ROTS and ANH aren't your everyday sunsets. They have meaning to the story.
    You mean you get and give presents from your parents and relatives and to them everyday and share memories? You might be able to buy gifts everyday but would it be as special as it is at Christmas?

15. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    And the meaning isn't diminished having them close to each other, since they both take on different meanings. In ROTS, it is the uncertain future of whether or not the galaxy can bounce back. In ANH, it is Luke yearning for a life less ordinary and with purpose.

Why should it be more special for one day, versus the other 364 days out of the year?

16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Still way too close to each other to have almost the same exact scene. Different reasons for both perhaps but it lessens the importance of both to me with them so close.
    Christmas is time for family. End of the year, getting ready for the new year. There are other dates out there that are that are important but there is something extra special about Christmas. Can't explain it.

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Actually, I think I'll change my answer to in the order in which they were made.

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm actually introducing my 7 year old stepdaughter to Star Wars right now, and since I never watch the movies in any order other than 1-6, I didn't even consider showing them to her any other way. Preserving any surprises for her is very difficult anyway because she asks a LOT of questions and had seen ANH once when she was younger, so she knew who Darth Vader was and was really curious about how Anakin became Vader and how everything and everyone was connected. So I had to pretty much tell her what happens before we even started so that she would want to watch them at all. I will say that she found Episode I a little dull and described it as a movie where all that happens is that a bunch of people meet each other, but I think she was a bit overwhelmed by it as well, and Qui-Gon's death had a big impact on her. Episode II caught her interest a little more with the love story and action set pieces, but Episode III was the one she really wanted to see, and after debating whether she could handle it, I finally showed it to her last night. Well she LOVED it. Immediately after it was over, she made me promise to watch Episode IV with her today, and when that ended she said she wants to see Episode V tomorrow. All in all I'm glad I did it this way, as it gave her a much stronger foundation for understanding and appreciating the complexities of the story, and now I'm really looking forward to seeing how she reacts to the end of Episode VI, which is the one surprise I've managed to keep from her.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    See, that's why Lucas said you can view it either way and while there are different responses, they still get the point across.

FRAGWAGON and Valairy Scot like this.
  20. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

Oh man I hope I can do this with my niece one day, I got her mom into star wars and she absolutely loved it (it was even her idea to watch them all in one go). I also like to get my cousin into them soon, she's skeptical that it would happen, but that's the same thing my sister said :D

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  21. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I like this idea but prefer it to be 4-6 end of Dagobah, 1-3, rest of 6.

23. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    1-6 would also be nice, as the whole Sidious thing is more of a surprise; but then Vader isn't a surprise. In my opinion is more pivotal to the saga than Palpatine, so I guess it all comes down to opinion on which builds more suspense.

24. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013

which surprise though :p

25. CommanderDrenn

Oct 19, 2013
    Haha, I mean Vader's

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.