main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit SOS: Save Our Skywalker, Luke Skywalker (v3)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi Ben, Mar 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mat Skywalker

Mat Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    No argument bout Wedge saving Luke but I seem to remember Luke saving Biggs in one scene as well

kataja likes this.
  2. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Kids today, just can't think straight! :D

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I think you are correct.

MasterSkywalker86 likes this.
  4. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Well ADD doesn't help :D

5. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, do try to keep up, I'm pretty certain that term's been revised!

6. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Also I believe u haven't answered my question while Revanfan1 has done so :p

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    As a famous or infamous politician said: I don't recall. ;)

Didn't see any scene that had Biggs explicitly saving Luke in the way that Wedge did, unless you count him dying first to stop Vader shooting Luke's X-Wing in the trench.

kataja likes this.
  8. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No, it goes like this: Luke saves Biggs, Wedge saves Luke, and Luke (indirectly) saved Wedge by letting him leave the trench.

9. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Revanfan1 , then Han saves Luke(who was evading the experienced Vader pretty well and I'm thinking Vader did not "I have you now" as he claims since he starts firing while his reticle is on Luke but misses completely) and Luke saves everybody by blowing up the Death Star....win win for everybody :D

Revanfan1, ChildOfWinds and kataja like this.
  10. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    That's Star Wars to me! Hero's save each other and everybody's happy :D

Revanfan1 and ChildOfWinds like this.
  11. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    Iron_lord:
    As MS said, it was from a cover of the comic book. Covers are often made specifically to sell the comics issue, and an image of Luke and lightning would likely cause enough curiosity to sell some issues. As MS also said, there was an image of Luke and Force lightning on the cover of The Swarm War, and this never happened inside the pages of the novel at all. I would say it was an attention-getter, as Luke doesn't use Force lightning in DE either.

DarthJenari:
    Exactly!

Revanfan1:
    I like that, R! As you said, a bond is pretty much forever-forged between two guys who have saved one another's lives! It makes sense that they would remain lifelong friends.

Iron_lord:
    Yes, I do think it should be changed. Most of it is okay, but a couple of places need to be edited, especially, "Holding the Jedi at bladepoint, Palpatine completed Luke's turn to the dark side, reducing him to a subservient watchdog." Luke was never completely turned to the dark side. Luke "nearly" fell; he didn't actually fall. Wookeepedia can easily be wrong, as it isn't written by continuity experts, but by fans who can have their own agendas.

Revanfan1:
    Sounds about right!

MasterSkywalker86:
    Definitely!!!! AND, as Kataja says, that's Star Wars! The heroes save one another and everyone is happy. I LOVE happy endings! I hope that's what we'll get in the ST too!

Speaking of which, I'm becoming more concerned about the new films. The two new lead actors that they seem to be looking for don't seem to be related to Luke. I will be SO disappointed if Luke doesn't have a son or daughter or both in the ST! :(:mad:

12. The Compeer

The Compeer Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 12, 2013
    Considering J.J. Abrams is directing, Luke's legacy seems like the least of ours worries at the moment; he pretty well butchered that last Star Trek movie.

Nobody145 and VanishingReality like this.
  13. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    Funny, the first thing I said after watching the two Trek films was "I miss Star Wars". Those two films borrow a good bit of stuff from SW.

kataja likes this.
  14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Everyone keeps saying the Abrams Trek movies are more like Star Wars than Star Trek, but after having only seeing the first one, I just couldn't help but think, "Why aren't they undoing this timeline mess like they always do?" Though the first one did seem reminiscent of Star Wars to certain extent.

15. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    People tend to see Trek as the idealistic, perfect universe story and Wars as the used, imperfect universe story. The problem with such a demarcation is it wasn't really so, the original series had the Klingons and Romulans, Scotty was forever fixing the Enterprise and so forth. If the perfect vibe comes from anywhere it's probably the start of TNG, but over time even that broke down, and DSN broke with it completely.

If there is a big difference between the two, it isn't premised on a perfect world but of optimism vs pessimism, Trek thinks we can and will do better, Wars isn't anywhere near so convinced.

16. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    The Compeer:
    The Compeer, Yesterday at 5:58 PM Report

I actually enjoyed the last Star Trek film.

I really am not going to be pleased if we don't get Skywalker/Solo kids in the Sequel trilogy. I really don't want the focus to be on some random character that shows up out of nowhere. I thought this was supposed to be the continuation of the Skywalker Saga. It would be disappointing if there were no Skywalker/Solos to follow into the future. I really, really, REALLY wanted to see Luke have at least one child.

Jedi Ben:
    I don't know if I agree with that, JB. I think the SW Story to this point ended on a very optimistic and happy note, as did ANH . Sadly, I think the EU isn't convinced that things can get better and that people can make a difference. LotF and FotJ, in particular, as well as the Legacy comics, have everything in the galaxy on a downer. Having thousands of Sith and a creature like Abeloth make it seem as though the galaxy can never have a truly happy ending. They have all damaged or destroyed Luke's Legacy too.

17. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    I'm looking past that though COW, had the OT been the only trilogy then yes, that was more optimistic, however the PT and its pessimism has spread across SW like a particularly aggressive cancer. With it has followed the attitude that democracy is practically unworkable and authoritarian government so much better. Even if there is some progress, the galaxy will invariably kark it up completely. Yes, the galaxy will be prevented from falling into a dark side abyss represented by the likes of Sidious and Krayt, but that's about it.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It does sometimes seem like the Fel Empire as of the start of the second Legacy series (the one with Ania Solo), is the closest thing to a "happy ending" the galaxy is going to get.

19. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    And I don't think much of the Felpire.

kataja likes this.
  20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    To be fair, the PT had no choice but to be pessimistic because we knew from the start it had to end with the Jedi destroyed, the Empire ascendant, and the Sith ruling the galaxy. That at least was basically the conclusion already having been written and the rest of the story just catching up.

21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    There was no requirement to inject that particular cocktail into the late post-ROTJ era, nor with the virulence level it was set at though.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  22. ChildOfWinds

Apr 7, 2001
    Jedi Ben:
    As DJ said though, the prequel trilogy's story of necessity had to be dark and pessimistic. HOWEVER, it leads to the happy. optimistic ending that we get in RotJ. It's true that the EU that has come out since then HAS been negatively affected by the PT. Unfortunately, too many of the authors latched onto the darker, more pessimistic, less positive feel and themes of the PT instead of remembering that that was the BEGINNING of the story; not the ending. That has really turned the post-VotF EU into a total "downer" that I find extremely unsatisfying. The recent series like LotF and FotJ don't even END. They just leave the reader with an unhappy and disappointed feeling that nothing good will ever happen to the characters or the galaxy.

I don't know what to say about how the new ST is going to affect all of this. If it follows the EU, it will also be part of the toxic mess that we've seen In DN, LotF, and FotJ. Then, for sure, it will probably be pessimistic too. However, If instead, they overwrite the EU, I would hope that we would find that progress has been made in the galaxy and with the characters: that Luke has restored the Jedi Order and that the New Republic has been restored and is fairly stable. I would hope that even though I'm sure there will be some sort of crisis, that the story will end on a very satisfying, happy note.

I really do hope that we can go back to the optimistic feel that SW used to have... before the dark times: before the PT and Denning.

By the way, I don't think much of the Felpire either!

23. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

True enough, I wouldn't blame it on the PT though. That I blame on Denning and his cabal.

ChildOfWinds likes this.
  24. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

it will not follow the eu. The eu as we know it will be called "The Visions of Luke Skywalker" and be infinities, basically. There is no Jacen, Jaina , or Ben. It take place 20 years fater ROTJ.

25. Mat Skywalker

May 8, 2005
    There have been several casting calls for different roles, so I wouldn't jump the gun yet. Also we have no guarantee that Jacen, Jaina, or Ben will be used in an TCWish type of way in ST. Basically ignore what came before.

Really wish we had some synopsis right about now

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.