main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    A sneaky one. :p

Seriously, though, it would have to be some underhanded means by which Nomi inadvertently joins his cause without even really know it, by doing something to help someone else, who was working for someone else, who as working for a group who worked for Kun.

A rambly, twisting, turning plan that winds around all sorts of corners so that Nomi can't readily see who's behind it all.

2. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I think such scheme doesn't fit Exar Kun's style. He prefers more direct approach usually.

Ulic or Vima, which one would more likely drive Nomi into fear and anger when they are in danger?

3. Master Elaine Nega

Master Elaine Nega Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2013
    So... I' m writing a moment in my TPM AU where the characters meet Boss Nass in Otoh Gunga( right before the scene in TPM when Qui - Gon and Obi - Wan have already told Boss Nass about the Federation, but it' s skipped in the movie' s storyline) . What do you think could be Boss Nass' reaction to Jar Jar? I also thought about making some kind of a comic moment of it, but I don' t really know what to write because of writers block, and because that scene isn' t the one I used to spin in my head numerous times. What sould I write there? Or should I just split the chapter in two and skip that moment?

4. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I take it in this version, Jar Jar was exiled, too? If so, Boss Nass would be furious. Jar Jar, to him, is a criminal. He had done something to be exiled, and that act, and himself are objects to be reviled. Nass would sooner order Jar Jar arrested, thrown in a holding cell, and then taken out somewhere and dumped off--or shot, if that's the angle you want to go. Either way, Jar Jar's presence is not welcomed, and Nass would treat it the same as bringing in a felon.

5. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    Yep, Jar Jar is exiled there too. Unlike the prequel haters, I decided not to skip him from the story. And thanks for an advice, but I' m not going to execute Jar Jar( he' s going to be saved by Qui - Gon like in canon) .
    Also, I started writing a dialogue scene from another chapter between the protagonist and Qui - Gon Jinn. It is supposed to be a heartwarming moment, yet no matter how I try to write it, it always sounds like a UST, which is not supposed to be there( it' s a Gen fic) .Maybe it' s because of writer' s block I' m going crazy. Just how keep it heartwarming and free from romantic context? In other words, how to comfort someone of an opposite gender who is not your relative, padawan or long time friend, with no romantic context in it? Just I know romance is impossible between these two, besides they both know their places and would never let themselves do anything like that. Or maybe I' m just crazy and see romance in any kind of interaction.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am planning to use a character that makes click sounds with his mouth (he is human like) and was wondering if anybody know any good way to represent this?

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    He clucks, clicks his tongue, makes clicking sounds, clicks, and clacks. He can snap his tongue against the roof of his mouth, too.

8. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    You can either put it in the narrative, like Trak did above, or use it in the dialogue like this: "Click I have a, click, bad feeling about this."

Personally, I find it better to put it into the narrative. Putting it in the dialogue can be distracting, but it does bring more attention to it.

9. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    I've got a question that is kind of specific to formatting/reading on these boards. If I want to include a large number of illustrations (say seven or eight in one post), would that work okay formatting-wise or would it be better to have them as offsite hyperlinks (just the URL, not displaying the picture in the forums)? If possible, it would be nice to have them display in with the text, but not if it's going to make loading on others' computers an issue or mess up the post in some way.

10. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    If each image is fairly small, I'd say just put them in as normal images. Otherwise, you can put them in as spoilers, so they can be open and closed - like they do in FanArt. Personally, I am not a fan of offsite linking if it can be avoided.

11. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think you can display them with wrap around text, so I would say keep the images small so people don't have to scroll down past a one page image before they get to the bottom. Also if you want to post three images I don't think they will be posted side-by-side, but in a vertical stack. When I have had three drawings I want to post at once I put them into one image side by side in PS and then posted that combined image. I think Tarsier's suggestion of putting the images into a spoiler link may keep the flow of the story going better.

12. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    You actually can put images side by side, like this:

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

The trick is to make sure that there are no line breaks between the images; in other words, all of the code for all of the images must be on the same line. You can hit "reply" on this post and switch the editor to BBCode mode (the button with two "A"s in the upper right corner) to see what I did here.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    If the image host you're using also uses thumbnails, include those in the post. I use thumbnails in my art thread.

As for incorporating them into the text, just have a paragraph break. Works fine. If you want to link the image to the text in some way, a small italicized caption beneath it will work.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's nice to know jcgoble3. That makes things easier.

15. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Thanks for the information, everyone! That's very helpful.

16. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    So, I got past my writer' s block. The only problem I' ve got with my fanfic is the comic relief aspect. I need it, since the protagonist is very dark and brooding, and most of her BG is rather dramatic. The story is told from her POV, so of course this will affect the amount of darkness in the fanfic( and it gets darker as the story progresses) . So, I need the comic relief aspect to keep the readers sane make it easier to comprehend. But when I try to add a comical moment, I find myself sitting hours in front of a computer with a deadpan expression trying to make up a joke. How do I get over it. How to get the humorous inspiration? Or maybe you could make examples of some stories which are dark, but still have comic relief in them?

17. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    What Shakespeare often did, and I see it all the time today, is have a comedic sub-plot to break up all the dark scenes. This might be hard given your POV. All of my dark stories have had at least one witty/sarcastic character, that provides comedic relief, not in a HAHA kind of way, but they'll often say or do something to break the tension. Comedic relief is not so much about getting a laugh or telling a joke, but giving the reader a brief break from the dark tension.

And never sit in front of a computer for hours if your stuck. It never helps. Inspiration often comes when you're not looking for it.

18. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    Well, it' s been months since I updated. I need to continue writing if I don' t want the idea to die.

19. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Jim Butcher do it by having the main characters inner dialogue being sarcastic and snappy, Lucas do it with side characters - Jar Jar and 3PO & R2 - that are not as serious as the main story

20. Master Elaine Nega

Mar 30, 2013
    Well, I guess the protagonist herself isn' t prone to humor( besides, Obi - Wan is the main snarker) , so I went with Lucas' way. But that' s not the problem. The problem is that no matter how hard I try to add comic relief, I can' t think up anything funny.

21. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Elaine, the lighter note doesn't have to come via chuckly type humor. It can come through 1. a memory/flashback of the character(s) of a happier time. They couldn't have unbroken days of misery after all. [face_thinking] 2. Or through conversations or activities that are interesting or need to be discussed or that the characters would ordinarily be doing.

~~~~

Example of 1. AzureAngel2's "Human Heritage" -- her main character is steeped in darkness. Yet there are moments with his dad and step-sister that are lighter and "normal."

~~~~

Example of 2 could be a teasing sparring match between Jedi with sabers or pilots in simulators, when they're not involved in a battle, but it is something the characters would naturally be doing. :D

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am doing a story with a Noghri as one of the characters and they have a very strong sense of smell which should be an important part of how she see the world, and I was wondering what people think she would perceive with her sense of smell?

23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Probably that humans wear way too much body spray or perfume. She would probably be confused as to why they are always trying to change their scent. I would also think they could sense much like a dog can on earth. I was told dogs could sense fear. I assume it has something to do with nervous sweat. She probably could sense when one person has the scent of another person on them. She probably would be quick to figure out who is sleeping with whom. Maybe she could smell illness.

Gamiel likes this.
  24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    JL is right on the money. Service dogs and even pets have been able to do such with their owners ... LOL on the body spray. ;)

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    You just made me realise that I should have Florence Ambrose/Freefall as a model for her, why did I not think of that :oops:
    What do people think she would think about body odour? Should she prefer that people washed less or more?