main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A Cynical Walk Through the NJO

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Cynical_Ben, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    [​IMG]

DurararaFTW and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Touche Jedi Ben. Another option.
    Give us a couple centuries (maybe less) we might get to make them ourselves.

3. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Well, if we don't end up creating this first....

[​IMG]

4. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have some problems with how powerful their gravity control is and I can not work my head around how their armour works of we go by the illustrations; I think we see to little vegetable based items and I remember that when I read the guides some of the tech felt a bit unimaginative.
    Also: some of the things the Vong do with their technology feels to me more like magic, something the Vong should not have since magic equivalence the Force in the SW.

Outside of that, I would say that I like the idea and it is an excellent addition to the SW universe, at least in the Legacy-era

5. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    It's hard to explain how a lot of the technology works without posting massive quotes from the books where the NR scientists dissect them. Things like the crab armor I don't have a problem with, it's just super heat resistant armor that's able to withstand a lightsaber but is not immune to it. And things like the lambent crystal that Anakin bonds with are cool little touches that keep it from being too outlandish.

As for their gravity control, I don't have much issue with that, either. The yammosk, the dovin basals, the cognition hood and even the villips IIRC, all of those either manipulate or utilize one of the universal constant forces of physics to operate. What other forces are there that could be operated for, say, propulsion by a civilization that is entirely biologically based in terms of technology? They can't exactly build an ion engine out of living parts (well, they probably could but that would require things like fuel and heat shielding, and would be unimaginative from a narrative standpoint as well), and they've spent years floating out in the empty void of space between galaxies, in places where gravity might be the only resource they have available.

Since the established races of Star Wars already manipulate gravity via internal compensators and repulsorlifts, it's not too outlandish to assume that the Yuuzhan Vong can make more advanced and specialized versions of much the same technologies. Honestly, I'd have more of an issue with it if the YV somehow manipulated light or sound for their technology to operate. Gravity, at least from a basic scientific perspective, makes sense.

6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I used the wrong words/was unclear: what I mean is that the illustrations of the Vongs armour makes it hard for me to work my head around how they work; I don't have any problems with the concept, well except that I am little irritated that they are lightsabre proof, but, well...

Do we know what the Vong had to face to breed such powerful armour?

7. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    It's only a matter of time before we get a book about Revan's Sith invading the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy.

Gorefiend likes this.
  8. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The Yuuzhan Vong biotechnology started off as ordinary life forms from Yuuzhan'tar which were subsequently genetically engineered to suit their technological needs. I'm guessing that something which is resistant to a lightsaber is equally resistant to, say, blasters, which may have been what was wielded by the machine life in the Yuuzhan Vong galaxy which they fought prior to the Cremlevian War.

9. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Is that what's going on with amphistaffs, too? I always scratched my head at how those things worked.

10. stung4ever

stung4ever Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    From Traitor:

So they're kind of electric eels, except instead of zapping stuff, they produce a force field.

11. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

I will explain why I need some drinks after I-) and [face_coffee]

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Okey, I am awake and sober now and I have had time to think this over so I guess that it is possible in the SW universe that there are creatures that can create the energy needed to create a force field but that that they are the size of amphistaffs makes it hard for me to get my head around it. Also how in Korriban's all sith do you breed such an creature, especially with all the extra functions? And what do you fed it?

We need a full book explaining the Vong’s biotech and how it works with lots of illustrations and technobabble

Do we know how the armour can be (more-or-less) as resistant as blaster doors and look so, relatively, thin? Is it some super resistant material in the shells? Do they have a way greater density then "normal" armour? Are the vong actually just very thin and most of their bulk comes from their tick shelled armour?

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    According to the source which invented the Potentium, it doesn't say that evil doesn't exist at all, just that it is not represented in the Force:

Advocates of the concept had believed that the Force could not push one into evil, that the universe was inflitrated by a benevolent field of life energy whose instructions were inevitably good. - Rogue Planet, p267

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    That doesn't contradict what I said. The Potentium can't push someone into evil if evil doesn't exist. Just because that particular sentence doesn't express that particular tenet of the Potentium doesn't mean it's not part of it.

"I later learned that they had been taught a version of Jedi doctrine, though far from an orthodox one. They were believers in the Potentium, the doctrine that the Force is light only and that evil and the dark side are a kind of illusion." - Destiny's Way

"Jabitha's father's understanding of the Force was flawed. I know that now. He thought that everything was one in the Potentium, a teaching that has survived among the Ferroans to this day. But the Jedi showed me that evil does exist, and I know that the Far Outsiders stand outside the Force." - Reunion

I'm cool with the premise that the earliest source is correct and subsequent ones are wrong, and all that entails, though. :cool:

Revanfan1 likes this.
  15. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Last monday was the 10th anniversary of the release of The Unifying Force. [face_party][face_dancing]

Zeta1127 likes this.
  16. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    So in other words, 10 years back...

One section of the board was: It's over! No, what am I gonna read now? :_|

Another: Yay! It's done! So when does the better new Vong-less stories turn up?[face_dancing]

Sadly, both sections would be roundly done over by The Joiner King....

Me? Kind of in the middle as, not a fan of NJO, but liked a lot of what TUF did so, of course, when TJK casually threw that out the window.....

[​IMG]

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Yeah I was feeling pretty optimistic about the future of the Expanded Universe in November 2003.

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Sucker

19. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

:(

Revanfan1 and Gamiel like this.
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Should have jumped to the Legacy era comic time period after that with some changes. The Post NJO books haven't been the best they could be but a lot of the other eras have had some good entries.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Seconded.

EDIT: It is also, I think, time for that experiment I posted some time back - time to reread TUF.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I'd join you, except I have to chug my way through the Force Heretic books, first.

23. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    I look forward to this.

Ah what an interesting trilogy that was.

24. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    DON'T! Really. It'll lull you in with a great first book before collapsing totally in book 3.

25. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    The only part of Force Heretic that never bored me was Nom Anor's storyline. But then again, Nom Anor is always fun.