main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Star Wars Wedding - The Event!!

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by ShortForceLover, Nov 7, 2013.

1. ShortForceLover

ShortForceLover Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2013
    Our fearless leader made an awesome suggestion, that I post a thread to keep everyone abreast of our upcoming wedding. This will be the thread for any ideas, suggestions, observations, anything you want to say, as it will be most welcome!!

So my wedding started out as a fun Star Wars Themed, since we are both big fans. We have assigned everyone their "roles" and we were looking for a venue to have it at, where we could decorate and where it wouldn't overlap with any Easter activities, as we picked our date, not realizing it was Easter Sunday this year. I happened to be in Mile High Comics main warehouse off I-70 and Pecos one Saturday morning, and noticed a giant Star Wars banner hanging on the wall, and had the crazy idea to ask if we could rent part of the warehouse for the wedding ceremony. Chuck, the owner, said yes and said he would not charge us if he could film the wedding for an upcoming promo that they needed for the stores. We agreed, and he also wanted to know, since we wanted everyone to show up in costume, if he could invite people from his mailing list, who would love to attend an event like this. His mailing list is 6,000 strong, but said about 1/2 lived out of state. In addition, he knows some people in NY, and may have a way to have David Prowse attend. So needless to say, this is becoming quite a production. We are wanting to build an Xwing and a TIE fighter out of cardboard, plywood, chicken wire and paper mache. We also have some giant canvases, which a friend is painting with columns and vines, to simulate the throne room scene from IV, which is the costumes we want to wear as well. We are also wanting to employ some of our fellow RMFF friends to help us with the costumes for the wedding party. (Leia, Han, Chewie, Luke, Darth, and Obi Wan) We, of course, want everyone to attend both the wedding and reception and help us celebrate our special day in style! We also may need some help scripting the event as well, since it is going to be filmed, and we are going to have cordless microphones on everyone in the wedding party as well. We have some sound effects, courtesy of some Canadian friends of mine who bought the book, Sounds of Star Wars, and will send me via blackberry any sounds I need prior to the wedding, and will be here with the book the week before the wedding.

So never having done anything even close to something like this, I need all the help, advise, etc. that all of you are willing to give. I travel for my job, so unfortunately am gone 2-3 weeks a month so it's hard to do this without lots of help and mostly encouragement!

I will keep this updated and thank you all!!

Lynn and James

2. SITH__CHICK

SITH__CHICK Former RMFF CR star 7

Mar 25, 2002
    Sounds like you have a really good grasp on the whole thing. I know people that dress in those costumes and I think a personal invite would work best, I'm sure no one will just barge in on your wedding plans unless asked. I don't make any of those costumes myself so I wouldn't be of much use to you.
    Keep us updated ;)

3. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    Sounds like fun! Are you looking to borrow the costumes or make them? I'm assuming you want decent costumes for people already picked for your wedding party. I don't know if anyone can help you make those costumes in a short time, but there are lots of people in the Star Wars community who might be able to let you borrow their costumes. My only real suggestion in all of this is you definitely need an R2 ring bearer! If you want one I'll see what I can do. No promises since it's Easter Sunday (and I know I have to work that day), but I'll do my best. If not then an R2 cake would be awesome!!

4. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    Jake,
    We would like to try to make my dress and we can put together Han's and Luke's, but possibly borrowing a Darth and Chewie costume would rock! I have a life size R2D2 carved out of a piece of solid wood that I want to refinish and would love him to be part of the wedding! Just not sure how to propel him, he has wheels, but is solid wood and a bit heavy to wheel around, any suggestions??
    Thanks!
    Lynn

5. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    I have no idea how to use a solid wood R2. He can stand there and look pretty, but even with wheels you would need to dig out most of the center to add batteries, motor controllors, foot motors, etc. R2's are typically hollow inside to cut weight and add all the electronics. Even if you attempted to do that it still wouldn't roll without a pull cord (like a giant wooden toy). R2's have an extreme sensitivity to balance for rolling, and I doubt yours has the correct leg angle for that balance. Maybe your wooden one can be a door greeter since it's basically a display statue. Again, if you want an R2 to roll down the aisle I'll try to get you a real operating one for you. Let me know...

As far as a Darth and Chewie, I only know of the ones in the 501st, and those costumes cost thousands of dollars. So, it might be best checking out a costume rental shop. As always, you can request 501st characters for an appearance (mg501.com) at your wedding (no cost), but again being Easter Sunday it might be a little hard to get someone to volunteer to come with their costume. You can always try by requesting at their website, though.

6. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    If you want the 501st/Rebel Legion, you definitely want to ask earlier rather later. We have a very limited number of Chewbaccas --two, and maybe only 3 active Vaders here in Colorado. There are a couple few remote control R2s that are mobile. Chances are slim that they would loan out the Chewies... one is on stilts and requires some experience to walk correctly. The other is built for a tall guy 6'3+.

It may be far easier to get stormtroopers and other costumed folk to attend, but being Easter Sunday, it's hard to say. But it never hurts to ask.

7. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    Seasons greetings everyone! Thanks for all the above suggestions! I did contact the 501st, but haven't gotten a reply. Does anyone know the direct email? Also Jabba Jake, I would love to borrow an R2D2 for the wedding if possible, otherwise I have a couple of volunteers to wear a costume and carry the rings! Does anyone have any experience working with large paper mache sculptures? Thanks!

8. DieWompRatDie

DieWompRatDie Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 2, 2008

I believe SITH__CHICK and darth_hair made an R2 paper mache pinata way back in the day.
    And the Artoo wrangler is JawaJaka.

9. JawaJaka

May 24, 2011
    I'll see what I can do about getting you an R2 for an Easter wedding. Please email me details (where, when, time for droid to be there, parking situation, etc). We now have a new website at www.msr2droids.com. Please try out our request form (we've never used it, so let's see if it works!), but email me the info at lynellephi at yahoo dot com anyway in case it doesn't work. The faster I can post this on our website with as much detail as possible, the more chances of getting a working droid. Unfortunately, I'm working all day Easter sunday or I would have AL there for you.

10. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    Thanks to everyone who has offered to be at the wedding in costume! It means so much to us!! I will post a formal invitation on here to everyone as soon as they are printed, running a bit behind! I posted a plea for help on the meeting notes board, but if anyone has any blue prints, designs, dimensions, advice, wants to help, with construction of my version of the Xwing and TIE fighter, it is VERY MUCH appreciated! Contact me here for my phone number and details!! Thanks again!!!

11. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    So no wedding is complete without at least one hitch, right? Well my god-daughter who first offered to don a Yoda costume, feels she can't stay in character so now I am in need of having someone who is willing to not only wear the costume, but become Yoda for the day for my wedding? Please contact me as soon as possible!! Thank you!

12. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    Ok under 4 weeks til the wedding. I am needing to get in touch with our Storm Trooper Legion, to see if they are still able to attend for about an hour, 2-3pm on Easter Sunday at Mile High Comics for the wedding. Please have someone contact me on here. Thank you.

13. Dark Crafty

Dark Crafty Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 21, 2013
  14. ShortForceLover

Sep 30, 2013
    I had submitted a request, but not sure if it was on there or not. Thank you so much for the link, I have now! :)

15. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001