main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit What are the most original and interesting inventions of the post-ROTJ EU?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Ghost, Jun 23, 2013.

1. madmanslitany

madmanslitany Jedi Master

Aug 17, 2006
    I agree with those who are saying the Ssi-ruu were pretty good. I actually might have stuck with the NJO had it been them, or something like them, rather than the Yuuzhan Vong. They were foreign and threatening without feeling as out of place as the YV grimdark vibe, at least to me.

DarthJenari and Iron_lord like this.
  2. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    CT-867-5309 likes this.
  3. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
  4. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

Which they usually don't, whereas the Ssi-ruu have entenchment as the norm.

Reaper63 likes this.
  5. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I'm not sure if the makers of the G.I.JOE animated movie were the first ones that had come up with the idea of a culture based on biotechnology, but isn't the Yuuzhan Vong (terrible name, by the way) a ripoff of the Cobra-La society?

Reaper63 likes this.
  6. THE EVIL CLIFFIE

THE EVIL CLIFFIE Jedi Master star 2

Jul 11, 2008

It's a melange of a lot of stuff in other sci-fi - a lot of 40K stuff bears passing resemblance, and many people at the time pointed out similarities to various ST species. Really, slinging 'rip-off' at anything is unhelpful, since everything is derivative of everything else in to a greater or lesser degree, especially in SF.

Originality isn't coming up with something new; it's splicing old stuff together in an interesting fashion, and I think the Vong did that. And really, silly names are a Star Wars tradition.

7. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
  8. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

[​IMG]

Many people aren't aware of this, but the reason the Cron Cluster exploded wasn't because of Alema controlling Naga Sadow's ship, it was due to the ripples through time caused by Kyle scratching his beard.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I've been replaying the Dark Forces games in reverse order for some reason, completing Jedi Academy and Outcast, I've been on Jedi Knight: Dark Forces 2, and it's making me nostalgic for the live action cutscenes with campy acting that was endemic to mid to late nineties video games. The game itself was damn good for the time. I'm a big fan of the Dark Forces saga, and it's a shame that Jedi Academy wasn't followed up on. I remember a lot of people wanted a Yuuzhan Vong War game starring Kyle back in the day.

Barriss_Coffee and CT-867-5309 like this.
  10. Reaper63

Reaper63 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    There is a lot of good in the After Jedi EU, at least till Survivor's Quest when I cut my interest. That said, there is a lot I'd like to see changed a little. the Wookie states that Mara and Luke were never ment to end up together, that decision was made after the character became insanely popular. I believe Callista Ming was going to be the Woman Luke ended up with. The dynamic of a Classicly trained Jedi Master, who had no connection to the Force, paired with a quickly trained (and incomplete training at that) Jedi master would add to the frustration and interaction between the couple. I do like Luke having a Son and naming him Ben though, that felt right when I found out about it.

As for the Solo kids, I would LOVE for one of the kids to be a Jedi FAILURE! Give han a kid who can NOT identify more with Uncle Luke and Mom then Good old Dad. The one kid, who although can't move things with his or her mind, but can be the best Officer or pilot or just pain normal person that the Galaxy can see. Han's scarcasm with Leia's diplomacy. a quick draw with a Blaster or the comeback. Han deserves this in his kids. Although I admit to not reading anything after Survivor's Quest, Han just feeles left out of all the Jedi Love that is everywhere.

And ion that note, have Regular people there!! It's not all about the Jedi. Rogue Squadron had a great mix.You had Corran Horn, but the rest of the Rogues were normal people., even better, you had Tyria Sarkin who could access the force, but would never be a Jedi. (Maybe limit the odd Solo Kid to this level of Force protential)

Thrawn was extremely well done. no super powers (ok the art thing was close) just pure brain power. the different Imperial Remnants made sense, cause although Palpatine didn't expect combat between military leaders, he did keep a sense of tension between them, with him controlling it. without him the tension increased to the point of combat.

11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yeah, I thought that was one of many fantastic things about Wraith Squadron, especially as contrasted with Rogue Squadron: it was another squadron-with-a-Jedi, but the Jedi was never the central character. (In Wraith Squadron it was Kell, in Iron Fist it was Face, in Solo Command it was... I can't remember, but not Tyria). Just another part of the team.

Lazy K, Force Smuggler and Reaper63 like this.
  12. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Crimson Empire. Showing a hero and true warrior who was a good man, yet fanatically loyal to an evil Emperor...was a great piece of fiction.

Kenobi098 likes this.
  13. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Why is he the most original and interesting inventions of the post-ROTJ EU?

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It's axiomatic.

Jeff_Ferguson likes this.
  15. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    the answer starts with a b and ends with a d

also, in response to the thread title, Luke embracing the beliefs of the potentium at the end of TUF

16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Luke doesn't embrace the beliefs of the Potentium.

17. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Despite Denning's best efforts to convince people of that in DN, in TUF, Luke doesn't, he rejects the conclusions of both Vergere and the Potentium, but also takes points of value from each and weaves them into a new understanding of the Force. At least that's my recollection now, years later.

Ghost likes this.
  18. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    The Potentium is never considered viable by anyone in the NJO ever. I mean, it's not even taken seriously enough to be rejected.

19. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Pretty much this. It's a combination of the Potentium, The Unifying Force, and Gray Jedi. Post-NJO Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus practiced the Potentium straight up though. Didn't follow Vergere's teachings, but you know....Denning.

20. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Even Caedus didn't follow the Potentium because he acknowledged that evil existed. He was trying to avert it, after all.

21. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    True. He flip flopped between a mostly Potentium belief, and a more tradition Dark Side/Light Side belief. Part of what made DNT-LOTF all the more confusing.

22. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There's a distinction between the Potentium and the idea that "there's no dark side." The Potentium believes that evil does not exist. Jacen would have no reason to become Caedus if he followed the Potentium belief. No living Force user has ever been depicted as a believer in the Potentium.

Ghost and The Supreme Chancellor like this.
  23. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011
    Which is why I said mostly Potentium, along with flip flopping towards the end where it was blurred.

No Dark Side.
    Inherently good Force.
    All actions could lead to good outcomes.
    Intent is what matters.

24. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So if the Force is fully good why is it quicker and easier to use it with your negative emotions?

25. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I guess Muslims are mostly Christian. They believe in Jesus, but he was just a prophet and not the son of God.

The Potentium is an erroneous worldview created by a bunch of rich core world would-be Jedi.