main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The US Politics discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, Dec 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Even's pretty much right -- especially about the first part, that he's just some guy calling himself a Whig. Doesn't mean much of anything -- I could call myself a Federalist but we wouldn't talk about the Federalist voting patterns in 2013, would we?

Anyway, Even, you're being a little unfair to the Whigs -- the very fact that they collapsed over the issue of slavery does show that a significant number of them were against slavery. The abolitionist Whigs didn't paper over their differences, the damn thing fell to pieces. You, Mr. Ziegler, should probably see that as a good thing, a triumph of principle over pragmatism :p

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    MI: GOP rigging the courts

---
    I spoke out against Senate Bill 652 last week as they jammed it through the Senate without giving any proper hearing on the bill, and today, Republicans in the House took the next step by passing it out of their chamber as well. This bill would take the Court of Claims, the court the people of Michigan rely on to file suit against the actions taken by their Government, and put it under the direct control of partisan judges and political appointees.
    The impact of this move cannot be understated. It would make it far more difficult, if not outright impossible, for the public to challenge the laws being rushed through by Republicans as the judges that would now be in charge of hearing those cases could be those put on the bench by the very same Republicans. It is nothing short of a subversion of the checks and balances between the three branches of government and a power grab to stack the courts in favor of their own party. This bill has been fast tracked through the Legislature, introduced less than two weeks ago, and if past experience has taught us anything, when Republicans ram through legislation the outcome is never good for the people.---

This is the sort of thing I never understood about state vs federal items. Why can't the federal government look at this and charge the state reps doing this with what is obviously not right? MI reps are on tape passing laws without counting the votes in the room.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    If wishes were horses the Supreme Court would be looking into our tolling situation instead of tolls being a 'state matter' and going into effect Feb. 1st.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    McCain doesn't take Gohmert's statement personally, because the man "has no intelligence" :D
    http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/10/...-dont-view-it-as-being-a-malicious-statement/

Also, a list of interesting trend changes:

http://www.theatlantic.com/business...omic-trends-that-rule-the-world-today/280107/

1. Old Trend: Expensive solar, surviving only on subsidies.
    New Trend: Cheap solar, disrupting old industries.

2. Old Trend: The Latinization of America.
    New Trend: The Asiafication of America.

3. Old Trend: The Chinese population bomb.
    New Trend: The Chinese population bust.

4. Old Trend: Soaring U.S. CO2 emissions.
    New Trend: Plummeting U.S. CO2 emissions.

5. Old Trend: College is becoming more and more important.
    New Trend: College is no more important than before.

6. Old Trend: Americans drive more and more.
    New Trend: Americans drive less and less.

7. Old Trend: Skyrocketing health care costs, skyrocketing deficits.
    New Trend: Creeping health care costs, creeping deficits.

8. Old Trend: The BRICs are conquering the world.
    New Trend: China is the only BRIC in the wall.

9. Old Trend: Active management rules the finance universe.
    New Trend: Passive investment rules the finance universe.

10. Old Trend: China is buying up all our debt.
    New Trend: China is selling off our debt.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Really? Really?

6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Yeah, I'm not a fan of stuff like that. There's plenty of dirt on Chris Christie that they could use, but it won't generate buzz like name-calling will.

7. Chewbacca89

Chewbacca89 Jedi Master star 5

Oct 25, 2012
    Yea cuz the Tea Party did that. Good job.

8. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    imo canada is fielding much more enthralling fat idiots at the moment than the us. we need to step our game up

Chewbacca89 likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Oh I get it. It's funny cuz he's fat!

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  10. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    Yep. Liberals have no problem calling a fat person an elephant but the minute someone feels bullied in school the whole fracking world comes to an end.

11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well nobody's perfect.

12. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Time Magazine cover ≠ Liberals

13. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    LOL you don't think Time Magazine is Liberal?

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

[​IMG]

15. Chewbacca89

Oct 25, 2012
    I doubt anyone cares about Time Magazine.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    oh boy.

To save everyone's foreheads: Chewbacca, he's saying that you shouldn't use a singular publication as the representation of the views of millions of people.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Time Magazine cover ≠ Liberals

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Who reads Time anymore anyway? I get all my news from Facebook.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I get all my news from the homeless probably schizophrenic man who hangs around outside the local supermarket, so it's more or less like getting my news from Facebook.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The Republican party's symbol is the elephant. I think that's what they meant.

21. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Yeah, this is all Thomas Nast's fault!

22. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    what?!? you don't want tolls?

23. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I'm kind of torn about the issue, to be quite honest (though I'm sure I'd feel differently if I was having to take the tunnels about to be tolled back and forth to work and the like). On the one hand, I can understand why the people that are opposing the tolls oppose them. It's very likely people will avoid going from Southside Va, to the Penisula and vice - versa once the tolls kick in. On the other, if tolls weren't in place, then quite frankly the only other option to pay for the new bridges and tunnels we desperately need is the raise taxes exponetially, including potentially resurrecting the car tax that Kaine killed (about one of the only good things he did as Gov, IMO), and quite frankly the issue of raising taxes is partly what killed so many potential transportation bills before this one with the tolls got finally got passed. And our new Gov. - elect, Terry McAullife was one of the ones who helped push it through the General Assembly, so it's unlikely that a way out of tolls would be through him.

Like I said, I am a bit torn. Tolls or taxes? Either way it's mostly a lose - lose short - term in the effort to solve our current transporation mess.

24. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    mcauliffe will likely toll and tax the crap out of us, so it's no longer an either/or thing, but a when thing. rat bastard.

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION

heels1785 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.