main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney Signed a 3 Year Deal to Shoot Star Wars in New Mexico.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Randwulf Crescentmoon, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    eht13 likes this.
  2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I suppose the most obvious one right off the bat would be Tatooine.

SkywalkerSquadron likes this.
  3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Interesting. Yes, Tatooine is the first thing that obviously comes to mind, but it can be some other similarly flavored planet.
    A quick google search and I'll share some interesting environments if I find em :p

4. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    New Mexico is a great place, but seems a tad unimaginative. I neither want to see Tatooine or another desert type planet in a Star Wars film.

5. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah, that would be my guess as well if this story is true. It's dirt cheap to shoot in New Mexico, North Carolina and South Carolina right now. Good business decision.

6. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Brushland springs to mind if they wanted to doing something less obvious than desert... but they'd have to be careful that it doesn't look too much like Bonanza or Little House on the Prairie. ;)

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'd like to see Korriban. Anyone familiar with New Mexico who can think of any particular area that would fit the bill?

Rawne, Apophis_, Taalon and 1 other person like this.
  8. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Breaking Bad crossover confirmed
    [​IMG]
    :p

9. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    Interesting that this rumor pops up again.

10. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd love to see something like Korriban, but the problem is (for me anyhow) New Mexico's geography is already quite iconic and recognisable.

11. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Well, here we go.
    First off, here's White Sands, New Mexico.
    While it certainly is a desert, it has a distinctly different flavor from the Tunisian Tatooine one.

WARNING: Spoiler tags are VERY Image heavy.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

There are, of course, tons of stuff that look pretty much like Tatooine or maybe even Geonosis. Dare I say Korriban?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And then there's stuff that can be anywhere in between. New environment, perhaps.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

That's about it, for the interesting stuff I could find in a quick search. Being from another part of the world, I'm obviously no expert, but hopefully this'll be helpful to other folks outside of US :p

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    To be honest, I don't have any real appreciation for how the area looks today.

My mental image is still of the New Mexico territory, c. the Lincoln County War. :D

edit: I was ninja'd with Hellhammer's great images.

13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thanks The Hellhammer. Those are some beautiful imagery. I actually hope it's not Tatooine or any planet we've seen so they can really go out and use any environment they want. The images in the last one are probably my favorite and I can definitely see it as a location for an interesting new planet.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  14. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    My thoughts exactly. I thought they had debunked this a while ago and now, here it is, rearing its head again. Interesting.

15. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    If they'd want to create a naturally unique enviroment, they should go filming in Socotra, Yemen, which is said to be one of the most alien looking place on Earth.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Tatooine was the first planet to come to my mind also, when I read the New Mexico rumor.

The photos that were provided in the links though, show more of a dust bowl environment in contrast with the sandy desert enviro. of Tatooine though, so I'm not so sure. It almost has a boondocks feel to it, but it could just as well be Tatooine 30-40 years after ROTJ. *shrugs*

Darth PJ mentioned Korriban, and from what was shown in KOTOR, the enviro. is somewhat reminiscent of that dusty locale too. Personally, for me Korriban is a place that I've always wanted the movies to explore, so it'd be great if the setting has something to do with that, and from what I've read a lot of fans would like to see a more in-depth look at Sith training...so yeah, Korriban would fit rather nicely in the new saga imo.

Darth PJ and SkywalkerSquadron like this.
  17. SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP

SHARKY_CHOMPCHOMP Jedi Master star 1

Feb 26, 2001
    I go on road trips almost every summer...Been all over New Mexico plenty.
    Although its true that most of that State is desert New Mexico possesses very unique rock environments...
    I can't believe how many times ive seen certain parts of that area in recent movies...Lone Ranger is one...and i do believe transformers.
    Look up shiprock for an example...New Mexico can be used in MANY ways It can be pulled off to look like (Although simular) another planet besides Tatooine.

18. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    Let's not forget Yuma, Arizona. ROTJ was filmed there.

19. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Tatooine is the most obvious one that comes to mind for me. The only other desert planet in the films I can think of is Geonosis. But, a lot of New Mexico is not desert, there are some places with lots of trees/water/grasslands, so you never know. If they do shoot in New Mexico, Korriban might be an interesting place to see. It'd be cool to explore the background of the Sith. That's not the only desert planet in the EU, but it sounds like one of the more interesting ones to me.

20. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    Wasn't there some kind of grassland planet in the Clone Wars microseries that was reminiscent of some of these locations?

21. David_Skywalker01

David_Skywalker01 Jedi Master star 3

Nov 30, 2006
    I am just happy they are doing location shoots.

22. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    There are plenty of cool places on Earth that they could shoot for Star Wars, but I think the point of shooting in New Mexico would be because J.J. only wants to do location shooting in the U.S.

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    We will spend months reading speculations and guesses about all of these arid, desolate locations in New Mexico only to find that they signed an agreement to shoot there because they liked a particular warehouse interior...

24. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008
    Pay very close attention to the Clone Wars bonus content for some hints on what filming in New Mexico could be used for.

newdawn12 and Circular Logic like this.
  25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Neat. I suppose that if they use the NM environments they could be CG-enhanced.

Such as?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.