main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Batman in print and animation

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ender Sai, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Looking forward to continuing it.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's a good read. Well worth it. I was twelve when I got it in July of 90 and didn't know about it until November of 89. I can still remember opening it up and seeing a world that I had no knowledge of and a style that was so different from what I was used to.

3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

:)

Is this your first foray into those Batman titles?

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I think I'm going to either buy TDKR or The Killing Joke, and then I'll ask for The Long Halloween for Xmas.

5. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Pretty much yes. The first 2 Batman New 52 TPB's, The Killing Joke, Battle for the Cowl, The Return of Bruce Wayne some of the Batman Beyond comics, some spare issues here and there when I was younger and whatever I can glean from Wikipedia and other info sites.
    I know that most of the Pre New 52 Batman comics were numbered 1-713 but I've been bouncing around.
    The Dark Knight Returns, Year 1 and the Knightfall arc are the ones I'm focusing on currently.

6. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Knigtfall is ok but it's all spectacle, no soul. Add "Gates of Gotham" to your list and I would also highly, highly recommend The Long Halloween (throw in Dark Victory if you want).

Frank T. likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Which one was it that Alan Moore wrote? TLH or TKJ? Google is down.

8. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    All great ones. If I were you I may get TLH first as TDKR is pretty heavy for a first time. This is just me because I started with TLH and it was a great introduction to everyone.

And Killing Joke

9. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Good to know about Knightfall. Gates of Gotham added to the list, I've heard good things about The Long Halloween if that's the one I'm thinking of, and I'll throw Dark Victory in as well.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Ok! There's a Barnes & Noble nearby, so I might scope those out when I get the chance.

11. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    It sucks that most of the Alan Grant/Norm Breyfogle issues have never been collected. I think those would be good for new readers who are most familiar with Batman through TAS.

12. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Killing Joke is Alan Moore's one, yes.

Long Halloween is Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale. It's basically a crime drama where Batman is looking for a killer named Holiday who... strikes on holidays. No, not Calendar Man, though he features in the story. The rogues gallery feature heavily, as does Catwoman. Of all the books it's the one most like the film The Dark Knight.

Volderon likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    So what would be the perfect graphic novel to read for someone who doesn't read the comics?

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Year One.

Darth_Invidious and Frank T. like this.
  15. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Knightfall is a blast - as long as you remember they were making it up as they went and it should be thought of as a big dumb blockbuster action movie. All that said, they still managed to effectively refute the idea that heroes in the nineties had to be really dark and edgy and violent, probably accidentally and in spite of themselves.

As far as recommendations go for something to pick up and just enjoy...since Year One has already been said, I'll recommend Gotham Central.

Volderon likes this.
  16. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    Gotham Central is a great series but you never see Batman.

Volderon likes this.
  17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Or the Talons.

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
  20. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Finished The Dark Knight Returns. That was an amazing read. Very gripping.
    Started Year 1. Good so far.

21. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    You'll like it and pay attention, you'll find references to material from TDKR.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Is No Man's Land any good? I know DKR was partially based off that material.

23. Frank T.

Sep 2, 2012
    The Nolan films use ideas and bits of many the comics of many eras. Sometimes I wonder if Nolan and Goyer had one original idea.

24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    It's got its ups and downs, principally owing to the fact that it was written by a bunch of different authors across a bunch of different books. Solid overall, but long. Rucka's novelization is pretty solid in that "A book based on comics is only going to be [level of quality of your choice] in the first place" way.

Penguinator likes this.
  25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    I agree with Ramza here. No Man's Land is in principle a good idea, but with all the titles it jumps all over the place in terms of narrative structure. Something would happen, then the next issue in the arc would be a Robin title slightly in the past explaining what Tim's doing.