main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit But what does it use as fuel?: Yuuzhan Vong technology - question and discussion

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Gamiel, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    This is a thread were we can discuss and ask questions about the strange biotechnology that the Yuuzhan Vong use.

Lets begin with a question about Vonduun crab armor: Do we know how the armour can be (more-or-less) as resistant as blaster doors and look so, relatively, thin? Is it some super resistant material in the shells? Do they have a way greater density then "normal" armour? Are the vong actually just very thin and most of their bulk comes from their tick shelled armour? Or is it just illustrators that makes the armour look thiner then it is?

Also so we know what the Vong had to face to breed such powerful armour?

2. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Special crystal structure and some kind of natural "force field" that damped weapons effects.

Doesn’t seem so as per the NJO sourcebook they weigh 4-10 kgs depending on model (higher ranking Vong get better sets of it ) though a lot of the weight is actually taken care of by the armour itself as the muscles in it move to support the wearers actions. Stormtrooper armour weighs 16 kgs in comparison.

They do come in different sizes ;) Anor for example is rather slight and about 1.80. Tsavong Lah is some 2 meters tall and 150 kgs of muscle.

It looks to be about as „heavy“ as Stormtrooper gear, though as mentioned it does seem to come in different models.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Giant sentient droids and each other?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Thanks for the answerer, now follow up questions
    How dose this crystal structure and "force field" work?

But how can the vong armour be lighter then the stormtrooper armour? After all the vong armour is not just the armour part but the inner organs and musculature of the Vonduun crab. Also what do they feed the armour with and were do the excrement go? And how do they prevent the armour from ****ing it self in a fight or is that a part of the protection?

Jedis: Oh no! They have lightsabre resistant armour! What should we do!
    Master Luke: No fear my disciples I have an ingenious plan to beat them. It is called go for the head

But has it really ben proven that they were driven form their home galaxy by Decepticons? Last I hear it was just legends and theories?
    Also why would they create a blaster resistant armour for fighting each other? Would not something acid resistant with a good impact absorption ability be better?

4. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Ah but Gamiel the Vong have the dreaded Bozo Ray!

5. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    :confused:
    Force field dampens the damage, whilst the crystal structure makes it very strong?

Pretty insane amount of stuff in Stormtrooper Armour actually, the multiple layers of plastics alone must weight it down heavily.

Doubt it has all that much "meat" ;)

I personally always figured they just dunk it in some kind of nutrient bath when they are not wearing it, as the shapers also breed them in such.

Were such things go, doubt the Vong are that particular about such things.

It might actually be, as the armour "secrets" chemicals that can work as antiseptic to help heal wounds on the warrior and itself.

It also has weak parts at the joints and is rather soft bellow the actual shell and apparently doesn't react all that well to fire. ;) Though many Vong actually happen to wear helmets.

The people of the GFFA and the Vong seem to assume that it is the case.

Because they throw fun stuff like plasma eels and magma pebbles, whilst they do have "blaster-like" weapons, like they use on their ships and "warwalkers". Plus those giant Droids very likely also had Blasters. Also the Armour works to protect against damage in general (impacts and such).

The Armour is assumed to have breed from a creature that would hunt the original form of the amphistaff and thus is resistant it's attacks.

JediMatteus and Revanfan1 like this.
  6. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I mean how dose it generate the force field and do we know what kind of force field it is?

And layers of chitin, crystal, meat, force field generating organ and battery organ don't weight it down heavily?
    Didn't you mention something about "lot of the weight is actually taken care of by the armour itself as the muscles in it move to support the wearers actions."?
    Okej

I am all for this:cool:

To bad so few of the illustrations support this

Plasma eels? And to prepare a personal armour to be able to withstand your siege weapon feels a bit to Batman-meme like

Did not know this, thanks

7. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    They did not go into details; I would guess it might be similar in effect to some of those more exotic armour sets that come with a energy shield.

Apparently not, and it is not crystals, the stuff that makes up the shell has a crystal structure.

Yep, but since it has a low weight anyway, they would not need that much muscle mass to do that.

To few illustrations of Vong anyway.

Something like plasma grenades.

It properly won't on a full hit ;) but if your just at the edge of it, it ought to help.

8. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do we know how many of the Yuuzhan Vong items/animals have a force field capability?

9. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

Properly just the armour, though Glistaweb might also have it. Their large stuff though won't need it, as they have the black holes the basal can create.

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I find the force field thing a bit irritating partly because I have hard to imaging how you bio-engineers something like that but mostly because something like that would need a, by our standard, huge energy source and I just have really hard to see something biological that so small as the armour beeing able to create that amount of energy needed, especially when we take into account all the other organs and its own armour

11. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    I think your overestimating its usefulness, as apparently all it does is help to dampen damage a little, similar to those belt worn shield things other people in the GFFA wear. Though the Vong must certainly be insanely good at using "bio energy" otherwise good luck with those ships they build.

12. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It is still a force field and to my understanding it is constantly on; to me it feels like you would need a loot of energy for that, at least something as large as a bull's hearth should be supplying the armour with energy. And what do you feed the crabs with to create this battery organ? Lightsabre batteries? Speeder engines? Lightning storms?

13. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Could just be an it activates in anxiety thing.

A hearth just pumps the blood, they could have some other method of supplying it with energy, for all we know, the thing doesn't even have blood, but is just drenched in nutrients.

14. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But what would make the anxiety of the armour strong enough to activate the 'field before it is hit?

I meant that the battery organ should at least be the size of a bull's hearth

15. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Reflexes on danger? It used to be a predator after all.

It does have muscles and glands

16. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Guys I'm starting to think Star Wars might not be very realistic.

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    True, but that don't mean that we can not discus it.
    After all if it was realism I was after a would call bantha dung on the force fields, controlled black holes and the lightsabres

18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    But how dose it sense danger?
    Huho_O

19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Wearer reactions would be one possibility, sounds or light another.

I meant that it could have a whole collection of such organs, as we know it has muscles and glands

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I guess that is possible
    Aha, yes that is possible but I do wonder how they work is there any one who as a degree in techno-babble who can explain it?

Also something that is sad is that of most of the illustrations we (and with we I mean me) see of Vonduun crab armour most of them don't give the impression of being a living organism or even organic. The images below are the ones I found and Darth Krayt looks more like it is made of coral than a animal

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

21. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Corals are animals.

Revanfan1, Gamiel and Gorefiend like this.
  22. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Could be that they have a similar set up to fish, or for that matter
    http://www.djur.cob.lu.se/Djurartiklar/Spindel.html

Somehwat unrelated but still "WTF!"

I am pretty sure it actually moves, which is kind of hard to do on pics.

Krayts might actually be dead, as the armor will try to kill anyone that wears it, who is not a Vong.

23. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Åååh, interesting[face_thinking]
    But I meant the force field stuff, maybe we can get Terryl Whitlatch to do an illustrated guide[face_praying]

That would probably make some of them seem alive but many of the images of Vonduun crab armour looks like it is your ordinary run-of-the-mile-evil-dude armour in some kind of black metal or plastic, not biological

Now that's an interesting theory

24. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Until we manage to build one just about any explanation would work actually ;)

Ah plastic modeling is just that good ;) that is all. The Peace Brigade after all also build imitation Vonduun from SW plastics.

25. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Do the Yuuzhan Vong have any personal long range weapons?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.