main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    It's none of your business.

2. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The hell does that mean? Then why did you post it? For your own amusement?

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I guess it must be, since it doesn't amuse us.

Juliet316 likes this.
  4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Juliet316 likes this.
  5. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
  6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

It's a good point, but on the other hand they make almost no acknowledgment of Marvel's long game -- Thanos made an appearance in The Avengers for a stinger and we're expecting him to start beginning to appear more in Guardians of the Galaxy, so it's a bit early to suggest there's nothing there besides Loki. It also makes it sound like Loki wasn't always supposed to be heavily involved in The Avengers (which... is false?) and they do appear to be toning him down to just be Thor-centric while building up the rest of the Phase 2 / 3 items.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    When should we expect the first trailer for GotG?

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I hope soon!

9. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Isn't John Hawkes in that too? I've been meaning to see it for quite a while.

11. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
  12. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    He's not the only good villain, he's the only one who is done well (aside from Magneto).

I agree that dependency on one character is a problem (various Marvel movie products do this - X-Men heavily depends on Wolverine and arguably Avengers on Tony Stark), but it shouldn't be happening given the characters already established in the various movies.

Red Skull is a good villain, yet he was not very interesting in the Captain America movie.
    Doctor Doom is one of the greatest and most known villains the comic book industry has ever produced (in fact he was #3 in IGN's Top 100 Comic Book Villains behind Magneto & Joker) but again he was portrayed very badly in the Fantastic Four movies. Venom was ruined in the Spider-Man movies, a scrawny freak with a glorified cameo role who was badly acted.

It's not generally casting because most of the villains were played by very good actors, it seems to be the writing or maybe the fear they will overshadow the heroes (as has happened with Loki). This is a problem, because I rate movies often on the strength of the villain and I'm sure others also do (would Star Wars be as good if it didn't have great villains like Darth Vader or the Emperor?).

I hope the Marvel Studios guys can fix this, because they have a whole lot of great villains available to them that could be as good or better than Loki.

13. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    I expect that the movies are taking things really slowly, which is why for the most part they've all been so good. There have been failures. But as far as Thor goes, they have a lot of classic villains to hit up who are great characters. I think they're just holding off on the best.

I do agree Red Skull wasn't handled very well...he's not the best character, but he had a lot of potential and should have been more important.

14. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Anyone who is the hero's Arch Enemy should be the greatest challenge they face. Red Skull could easily be overshadowed by Winter Soldier in the next film and that shouldn't happen.
    It's a real shame Dr Doom can't be an Avengers villain, he would be so great for a team like that to deal with.

15. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Kang could be a great villain, given the chance.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  16. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Give me M.O.D.O.K. or give me death

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  17. Adam of Nuchtern

Sep 2, 2012
    Dirk ****ing Anger.

soitscometothis likes this.
  18. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Doctor Bong

19. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Nathan Fillion as.

20. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Devil Dinosaur. In a tux.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  21. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    I will attempt to do so. It will be interesting to see if and how they alter her and Quicksilver's back story to accommodate the lack of X-men in the MCU. Presumably they'll just cut Magneto from the picture and have the two become just "regular" superheroes instead of mutants.

22. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My god, if that happened you could smell the lawsuit from the Gerber estate coming.

23. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    The thing about the Red Skull is that he was the guy pulling the strings with the whole Winter Soldier story.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  24. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I always thought Red Skull would factor more in the sequels since he didn't actually die.

25. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    Hugo Weaving not wanting to reprise the role might have nixed any potential for him to reappear.