main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did operation knightfall deserve a larger and more detailed scene/scenes

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Jack_17, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Jedi_Jack_17

Jedi_Jack_17 Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2013
    This afterall is the destruction of the order mass genocide of every single jedi on corouscant and we basically saw anakin and the 501st marching up the stairs and then a few jedi getting shot and anakin igniting his lightsaber on the younglings. Should we have been shown more atleast the jedi putting up a fight against the newly christened darth vader and the clone troopers of the 501st ?

SkywalkerJedi02 likes this.
  2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Probably a matter of how much screentime GL wanted to devote to the sequence to effectively convey to the viewer what was happening without displaying a full-on bloodbath. I think in those regards, he achieved.

SlashMan likes this.
  3. Jedi_Jack_17

Jedi_Jack_17 Jedi Knight

Oct 28, 2013
    I suppose so but look at some of the scenes he showed us he whole love is blinding you bit was rubbish cut that scene and theres an extra minute of detail straight away it didnt even have to be a scene of jedi getting killed what if it was jedi master telling their padawans to run or hide whilst they try and organise a counter attack to show us the jedi will fight to the end to protect their temple and their beliefs and values.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I think it is a shame that ROTS doesn't actually show Anakin killing any Jedi, with the exception of a 2-second duel with Cin Drallig. It would have been nice to see him decapitate a few during the temple assault.

5. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    During the 15 years between ROTJ and the PT I literally had dreams of watching a suited Darth Vader laying waste to legions of Jedi. Never happened....bummer, major bummer. Woulda, coulda, shoulda George.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  6. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

7. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    It may have had much more of an impact on just how far gone Anakin was.

The Jedi Order, despite initial reserve and hesitation, despite their long-held rules, decided to bend it a little to take in a scared nine-year-old child under their wing and teach him their ways. Their thanks? Anakin personally leading the troops that would soon massacre everyone inside.

8. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Not that I'm justifying at all... because I agree with the majority of the viewpoints here that the Temple scene could've been expanded in a very cool and revealing way... however could it be that GL decided not to in order to preserve the sanctity of the saber fight? i.e. saberfights are the high action points and turning points within each of the movies... including EpIII. I'm speculating that GL didn't want to take away from Sidious v. Yoda or Anakin v. Kenobi clashes... and so saved screentime by bypassing the Temple scene and eluded to it's outcome in other ways....

Valairy Scot and SlashMan like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish we could have seen more stuff in the Temple and around the the galaxy. The stuff we got was nowhere near enough.

10. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Almost every scene in every movie I like deserves a more detailed scene. But, specifically, yes, it should.

11. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would replace the scene with Anakin igniting his lightsaber on the children with Anakin killing Shaak Ti. That's just me having a hard time watching that particular moment and overall I think the Order 66 montage works the way it is.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would have done the same, as well as adding in the duel with Cin Drallig.

I actually can't watch the younglings scene, which I have been told was the point, but I still think it was done for shock value and unnecessary.

13. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    That scene doesn't really bother me at all. It helps portray how Anakin has embraced the Dark Side.

14. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    Yes, this is one of my favorite scenes in the PT. It could have used a little more screentime, it would have been nice to see Anakin killing some more Jedi that weren't younglings, but we don't want to overdo it. Having a series of short clips of Jedi being slaughtered worked well I think.

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I didn't need to see him drawing a saber on kindergartners to know that he had gone full-blown evil. That's why I found it gratuitous.

16. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I agree. It's very unnecessary and I think it hurts Anakin as a character more than anything. The way it plays just makes it seem like Anakin is letting the clones take out the hard targets while he goes after a bunch of kids. It turns Anakin into a third-rate horror villain and the scene feels so out place like it's from a Freddy Kruger movie instead of a Star Wars film. It also makes his redemption so much harder to accept because it's too horrible of an act to forgive. I know killing any Jedi would be a horrible thing for him to do but for me there's a big difference between Anakin taking on an adult Jedi whose fully trained to defend himself and Anakin massacring a group of defenseless children.

17. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Perhaps a middle road - show brief scenes of Vader killing the Jedi in the temple, yet retain the reference to his killing the children when Yoda mentions they were killed by a lightsaber rather than clones. Let the viewer deduce the murderer - all the more shocking, no?

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    That would have worked better.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I agree, that would've been a much more appropriate way to relay that Vader dispensed with the younglings... inferred and not shown specifically...

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    You already got the Count Dooku headroll man. As far as I'm concerned that's enough gruesome executions for one Star Wars movie.

21. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It wasn't enough for you when he killed the guy he had known since he was 10 and then pledged loyalty to the most evil guy in the galaxy?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  22. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    I feel robbed...

23. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    I never thought of it like that before, but that would make much more sense to have the clones go after the younglings instead.

So Vader believes the Jedi to be traitors, and he takes out their more skilled warriors. Fair enough (from an evil point of view), but defenseless children? It's something that had to happen, but it didn't necessarily have to be shown, much less perpetrated by Anakin. Then again, the scene is very effective from what little we're shown. So much, that it's appalling, actually.

And I believe it was said that the only other filmed scene was Vader slaying Shaak Ti and walking through the hallway, giving a view of the clones laying siege to the temple. What's interesting about this short sequence is that it shows the Jedi putting up a pretty good fight against the clones (it's only by shear numbers that they hold their ground). So we're left to assume that it was really Vader that made the difference. And Hayden does a startlingly good job in these scenes, as he spares no time in remorselessly killing Shaak Ti.

24. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    In addition, have Anakin duel his best friends (of whom would have been established to be as such in AOTC). Instead of kids, show Anakin entering a room where his friends are, they're all relieved and saying, "Ani! Thank the Force you're here! You've got to help us, the clones are attacking us!" A few seconds of Anakin and his friends dueling each other, then cut.

I mean, the guy's been in the Order for 13 years. Do you really expect me to believe that Obi-Wan was literally the only friend he had in that span of time? Surely he had plenty more friends, and others who looked up to him, called him a brother, etc. It'd be like Harry suddenly trying to kill Ron and Hermione. That would've made it all the more horrible and tragic.

25. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I have to call you on a technicality; Harry and friends are equals, whereas Obi-Wan was Anakin's mentor. So it's if Harry tried to kill Dumbledore really.

Anyway, Revenge of the Sith is extremely problematic for a Star Wars movie, but a lot of people don't seem to mind so I won't either. And that's all I got to say about that.