main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The death star plans fiasco

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    "…if you had to throw a dinner party and invite everyone who had ever stolen the Death Star plans, you'd be surprised at how many place settings you'd have to worry about."
    Pablo Hidalgo

Exactly how convoluted has this situation become? How many people are claimed to have stolen them? (this is counting anyone who has ever claimed to have taken them even if it has been retconned.)

the one's i know off the top of my head.Rianna Saren
    Kyle Katurn
    Rookie One
    Kevin Farlander
    Havet Storm ( I hate this character, who is one of the main reason's i argue against anything printed should automatically be canon unless marked as non canon by the author.

Anyone that i missed?

Have anything to add?

purplerain likes this.
  2. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Aren't Bria Tharen and Red Hand Squadron supposed to have stolen the Death Star plans, too? That's still the version I choose to believe.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Hopefully higher canon will reveal who truly stole the death star plans.

4. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    This should be the MacGuffin that drives the sequel trilogy.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    The title of this thread would make for awesome IU dinner theater.

Draconarius likes this.
  6. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    While I agree this has become highly convoluted, and even silly, it is possible, and even likely, that there were multiple "plans" to the Death Star, perhaps comprising different aspects of it. After all, we're talking about a battle station that's the size of a small moon, right? It's got to have a series of pretty complex plans. That's kinda how I approach the mess, anyways, and I imagine other fans probably do the same on varying levels.

AusStig and LelalMekha like this.
  7. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I like to think that the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell that Han mentions in the movie is actually an old buddy he ran into at a cantina and they had a drink together and he convinced him to leave the Rebellion to pay off Jabba after Han told him about all the other bounty hunters he ran into on Ord Mantell.

8. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    For a while at least we had a pretty good breakdown of who stole what - Soldier for the Empire even added a little clarification by defining which subsets of the plans were stolen on Danuta and Toprawa. The intercepted transmissions shown in the X-wing game, the Zahn/Stackpole novella Side Trip, Havet Storm's story, and perhaps one or two other bits were nicely sewn together. As far as I know Rookie One was never part of it; his only role was in Blue Squadron's attack at Tatooine that followed the Tantive IV's capture.

Of course, LucasArts being what it was in its final death throes, they had to go pile on Rianna Saren and the ludicrous Death Star jailbreak mission from Battlefront II. I wouldn't be surprised if they added insult to injury by making Galen *cough*GaryStuStarkiller*cough* Marek the man who brought the Death Star plans to the Alliance.

9. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    I hope that's The Force Unleashed 3 and it sets up Sam Witwer being the focal character of the sequel trilogy after he's frozen in carbonite by a ruthless and vengeful Mon Mothma.

10. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
    Spast, I hope not. I would have vastly preferred if that character had just stayed blown up after TFU. Scratch that. I would have preferred TFU had never seen the light of day and we could have kept an EU where a random uberJedi wasn't responsible for every event leading up to ANH while beating the main villains of the OT like rented gongs.

That, quite frankly, is where LA went to hell. Instead of doing what they did in their heyday - giving the main character a new threat unrelated to what appears in the movies to combat and defeat, thus being the "hero of another story" - they had to shoehorn them into the events of the movies. Which is why about a dozen protagonists have stolen the Death Star plans and the Battle of Hoth has been refought umpteen times.

11. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    [​IMG]
    Woo!

I love this picture.

12. DarthCane

May 30, 2002
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Nep they just transmitted them.

14. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Toprawa, Danuta, and Darkknell are the only versions that interest me.

tjace likes this.
  15. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There should be a story which has a sarlacc-bound Boba Fett get sucked into a time warp in which he escapes the sarlacc two times, but each time he is warped back into it until he is time warped again and shown to be the bounty hunter on Ord Mantell referenced -- still going after Han due to getting knocked into the pit, not for the bounty, and sans armor so Han doesn't recognize him -- with Han surviving the encounter due to Fett getting warped back to Danuta where he helps Kyle steal the plans, and culminating in him travelling back in time to become Jaster Mereel, but as he lies dying he is warped a final time to outside the pit of carkoon, miraculously healed of any mortal wounds to be found by Dengar.

Hoss Delgado likes this.
  16. tjace

tjace Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2008
    Interlude at Darkknell is hands down my favorite Death Star plan story, but I would be willing to forgo its place in the "Death Star plans stories" pecking order and explain it as a preliminary "plans of the plans" type thing (if that makes sense), seeing as those datacards couldn't have held that much data (being the SW equivalent of floppy disks or NES cartridges). In exchange I would demand that the date be moved up to at least 10 BBY if not earlier, thus giving bel Iblis a lot more time to run around doing his own rebellion before the Treaty of Corellia, let Ysanne Isard become more established as Director of Intelligence, and most importantly solving the Hal/Corran age discrepancy all at once.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Alright guys, I confess.

It was me. I stole the Death Star Plans.

18. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    *Stands up*
    I stole the Death Star Plans!

19. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "I stole them and so did my wife!" :D

20. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just got mine from Amazon UK recently.
    :p

21. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    What if the first thief just made a torrent of it?

Then every other thief downloaded it to videotapes or something because -77 was a long time ago.

Sent from another Galaxy

Starkeiller and CeiranHarmony like this.
  22. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The thread title makes me think of what the Empire must have thought about the situation. Except for "let's make a trap out of it the next time since they're gonna get the plans anyway."

23. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Got mine from Mr Snowden

24. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

we all know that this was a concerted effort with lots of fake sets spread by the Empire to confuse the Rebels... and the Rebels using lots of teams to distract the Empire from their true experts that were tasked with the real plans and subsets of plans!

but that was before Death Star novel tried to make all plans the same that a librarian hid in his favourite workplaces... loved the book but that retcon was not one of the better.

I actually do love the torrent idea someone here brought up!

PS: We all know who really brought the Rebels the Death Star plans: ADMIRAL ACKBAR!!! come on, years a slave to Tarkin and his personal shuttle pilot and never ever did he despite visiting the Death Star give the Rebels any plans or hint? d'oh

25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    But the absolutely best thing about any theft of the Death Star plans is... every single hunt and lost life to aquire the plans was absolutely pointless.

In ANH they end up on the Death Star once more.. and R2 could download a full updated actual set easily in his time there. R2 stole the Death Star plans. And still the Rebels used outdated ones with the dish in the middle... oh my

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.