main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph The Walking Dead and Spinoffs on AMC

Discussion in 'Community' started by EmpireForever, Jun 11, 2010.

1. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    So, last night made Hershel one of my favorite characters and jumped him up to the top of my soon to die list. Seriously, Scott Wilson was amazing in that episode. And holy crap Sasha survived. Wasn't expecting that, I figured she was a goner for sure. Oh, and Lizzie continues to be the creepiest thing on the planet. She is so going be like comic!Ben.

RIP Dr. Caleb though. With how little screen time he had, I was surprised by how much I liked his character and was sad to see him go. Smart of him to bring those shotguns.

This season has struck such a wonderful balance between character development and action. Hopefully that keeps up now that
    The Governor is back.

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I know nothing of the comics, so this is just my thought based on the show. I think Carol is covering for someone

3. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    IMO, her primary motivation seems to be protecting the group as a whole. She wouldn't leave and not tell Rick about a potential killer at the prison. And besides Lizzie, there is no one for her to cover for, and I doubt she could kill and drag two adults outside and burn them.

4. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    What if Lizzie stabbed the two, and Carol is the one who dragged them out to burn when she found out? It's a bit weird, but I've seen worse.

5. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If Carol was covering for someone wouldn't she have come clean when banishment was on the table?

6. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Not if it meant a young'un being banished. Rewatch Maggie's reaction to the news.

7. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I still think it was Lizzie that killed them. It makes sense for Carol to be the one to cover for her.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I mean I wasn't surprised at all for them to think it was Carol, but I still think it might be Lizzie with Carol covering.

I watched all this season's episodes yesterday because I was behind and so far it's been okay. But this last episode was great. Hershel became super interesting.

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Which probably means he's dead next week.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

10. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Haha, yeah. Although I still like Glenn and I knew they wouldn't kill him, I'm not sure about Hershel. I definitely think he could die this season.

11. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

They have been teasing Hershel's death so far, so it could happen.

12. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
  13. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    That image is even more funny since he dumped a plate of spaghetti out the window last night.

I'm kind of torn about last nights episode. While I enjoyed it, I had a bit of a hard time buying the Governor acting like he was. Seeing how he develops in the next episode will be interesting.

And is Tara the first confirmed homosexual character in the show? I think she might be.

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I've been pretty underwhelmed with this season so far and thought that last night was the best episode in a while. I'm a fan of episodes with a smaller cast and more character development. On the surface, it looks like he's changed from the power mad leader he once was. But I think that his line about pawns says the most about where he's at mentally.

15. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    I laughed during that part, I had the same idea. He's going to destroy Spaghetti Tuesdays.

I honestly dug last night episode. I'm all for anything that can make the Governor a better character. Not a 'good guy' just a more fleshed out character than he was last season, and this was a big step toward that.

Also, relevant:

[​IMG]

16. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    Yeah, the depth added to him was good. This is glimpse at the Governor who managed to get a whole town to support him before going off the deep end.

Fellow comic readers, did you also get a grim sense of forbidding upon learning Lily's name? [face_nail_biting]

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Dec 26, 2001
    YES. My reaction was significant enough that I ended up having to explain to my roommate what the big deal was.

18. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lily was barely in the comics, IIRC. I haven't read them, but from what I hear she plays a substantial role in the novels.

But yeah, I always like "day in the limelight" episodes. And this is a cool direction to take the Governor in. He's so different from his comic counterpart, and I really want to see how he evolves from here, whether he regresses into psycho killer territory or becomes a better person.

19. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I thought the Governor was going to kill the two sisters, make it look like an accident to the little girl, then adopt her.

Still could happen, I guess.

20. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    For those interested, the majority of this episode was adapted from the Rise of the Governor novel that tells his comic book counterpart's backstory. He doesn't part ways with the women in the apartment under such nice terms there.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Well that probably has a lot to do with the timing. TV Governor must not have had the same origin as comic Governor. I know he wasn't Penny's real father in the novels/comics, but here he seems to be, which is a very significant difference.

But who knows. He's done horrible things in both versions, but he's much more human in the show. He's not evil to the core per se, and who knows? He could do a total 180 by the end. Depends on what dirction the show goes in, i.e. how long they stay at the prison, and if they ever go to Alexandria, though the appearance of Abraham, Eugene and Rosita tends to indicate they will.

On another note, I loved the song in the beginning. I'm a big fan of Ben Nichols' stuff, and that particular song seemed to fit the situation really well.

22. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    I thought that episode was a disaster. Boring, pointless, poorly acted and a complete waste of 45 minutes. Doesn't look like it'll improve next week either. So much for my hope they'll be out of the prison by the end of this half season.

Darth_Smeagol and halibut like this.
  23. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Guys, can we please spoiler tag comic book info please?

The episode was a little slow and boring, but I will give it bonus points for getting us out of the prison. My favorite scene was when the Governor hooked up with the chick in the back of the van while the other two girls slept.

I get the whole idea that the Governor is lost after having lost his town, his daughter and control of his people, so I buy the wondering around for a couple months. I buy that he was a little weird at first when meeting new people and having to be re-acclimated with "society" in the form of the people in the apartment.

What is a little hard to swallow is that those people lasted as long as they did especially the old guy. How long has it been since the beginning of the apocalypse, supposedly? I’m sure the old guy should have been dead LONG before meeting him in the apartment, time length wise even with the oxygen tanks at hand. Also, I thought it was pretty reckless the way the Governor went into the old folks home. By this time he’s beginning to feel like he has a reason to live; he should have had some sort of plan.

RC-1991 likes this.
  24. Darth-Lando

Aug 12, 2002
    I didn't have a problem beliving that that could hole up in an apartment for a few years. They seemed to have an ample supply of food (and I'm assuming water). What I had a problem with was the fact that they had never killed a walker before and had no idea that you have to destroy a brain. It seems like everyone else figured that out on Day 1. Also, after teaching them that you need to destroy the brain, the Guv somehow kills a walker by ripping out it's throat.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  25. The_Forgotten_Jedi

May 12, 2010
    I'm fairly sure the walker that he ripped the throat out of is the same one he used the bone to rip the skull open. He killed the first one by bashing its skull onto another skull, ripped the throat out of the one walker, knocked it down, used his fist to beat the head of the third one in, and then finished off the throat walker with the bone.