main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Disney Signed a 3 Year Deal to Shoot Star Wars in New Mexico.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Randwulf Crescentmoon, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Doing a quick photo search, that looks very cinematic indeed. Have any films utilized it before?

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    Hey, leave Ron Fricke out of this! He needs to be working on a follow-up to Samsara and Baraka, and do you have any idea how long it takes one of those films to shoot?!

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  3. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    When you first see the human archaeologists in Prometheus. :)

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  4. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The landscape and it's tone may well be drastically altered or enhanced in post production. For all we know, they can stick a huge CGI fortress in any of those huge rock formations and give it all a bluish tint. From what I've seen, the place offers diverse environments that can provide a backdrop for a wide variety of planets. Going all over the world and shooting in five different countries just so they can say to fans "Look, we're doing location shootings all over!" is not really necessary. Also, it does not have to reflect J.J.'s so called "reluctance to move" anyplace. The cost, both in time and money, of moving such huge amounts of equipment and personnel all over the world is not something to be ignored. Also, we have no idea what kind of environments they're looking for and what we'll be seeing in Episode 7. So, if they found a single country or state that can cover all their location shooting requirements - it makes perfect sense to shoot it all there.

5. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Yeah but they did that with Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull and I personally thought it suffered for that lack of global 'geography'. I think JJ needs to find a location that looks somewhat unique (not only in terms of Star Wars but its contemporaries) or we accept that they'll be plenty of digital manipulation - which I don't personally have an issue with, but would fly in the face of a 'back to basics' approach.

6. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I don't think back to basics means "We'll film this like we're a young director struggling to get his idea across, with budget, schedule, studio and all sorts of other problems in a middle of some desert somewhere, tearing our hair out and wondering if it's even gonna look coherent in the end." :p In my view, it refers to the overall feel and some aspects of filmmaking tecnhiques. The way I read that statement, they're basically saying we're going to take best of both worlds - digital and practical - and mix it so it works best. I'm pretty sure there'll be a planet in ST that's 80% digital, a place that's built from scratch in a studio (like Hobbit's Mirkwood) with shots of CGI and a 80% real outdoor shot with some tweaking thrown in in post production.

Back to basics doesn't mean we'll film this like it's the 70s. It's about creating a good fusion of all elements.

7. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Making a concerted effort to shoot location outside of the United States hardly constitutes going back to the techniques/approaches of the 1970's. I'm more than happy with virtual environments to be utilised e.g. Kamino, Geonosis etc. However, many seem to think that production crews going to Tunisia, Norway, Italy etc. makes a tangible difference in terms of making things appear more 'real'. And if JJ is serious about bringing back some of that reality, then I say one has to have a bit more ambition with locations (it certainly shouldn't be based on path of least resistance for the director). That said, this is speculation - for all we know 70% of location may be on the isle of Skye... and I think that would look great in a Star Wars film.

8. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    This was strongly rumored this past summer. Then someone supposedly debunked it. Now we're back to New Mexico.

It could be for parts of Tatooine that we have yet to see but I suspect that it will be a new planet.

Is this supposed to be Korriban???

[​IMG]

I would love to see Korriban in the new trilogy!

9. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    True, but all I'm saying is that they may not need any more than one or two locations that can be filmed outdoors. If that is the case, going to one place that's convenient both for it's looks and accesibility makes sense. The rest would be different enough from what we have on our little Terra that they'll have to construct it in a studio or do it CGI. :)
    But, as you say, it's all speculation. It may well be a bogus rumor or just the first of many locations that we'll hear of.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Look, they're filming in London. Skye isn't far, nor other unique Scottish locations. If there willing to go to New Mexico from L.A., then they'll be fine getting to Skye. BTW - I have a friend with a farm in Kintyre.:p

11. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'll certainly be visiting Skye if they do any shooting there. It's not a huge place, they'll be easy to find...

12. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Unfortunately New Mexico is quite large (5th largest state) and many of the most scenic areas are remote. If they strike a deal to do location shooting on tribal lands then public access will be almost impossible and studio space in ABQ will be under tight security. I think our friends in the U.K. have a much greater chance of sneaking a peak.

13. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm pretty sure that there are folks out there who will send squadrons of THESE to any and all locations they're going to be filming at :p

[​IMG]

Corruptor and TKT like this.
  14. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    They were flying all over Fun Fun Fun this year. What is the range on those things?

15. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope they film the city scenes in Detroit.

16. Jedirush2112

Jedirush2112 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2013
    The first images or White Sands, NM could closely resemble Abafar or the planet from " A sunny day in the void" [​IMG]

17. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    From what I've been able to find just now, there's a version that can fly up to 36 minutes with the world record being a flight of 2.25km (that would be 1.4 miles). That's from one year ago so by now it may well be even longer than that.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    New Mexico does have some gorgeous scenery on display.

19. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    So now we all know that Episode VII is really an adaptation of the Droid arc...

[​IMG]

20. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998
    That would be Utah

[​IMG]
    The Hellhammer that seems short to me but perhaps there are better ones now.

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  21. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    Could be for a spinoff maybe.

I'd love to see a fett/solo film with a real western vibe to the environment.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    If Disney really did sign a 3 year deal to film in NM than that could very well be. Would they need that long of a deal if it was simply for Episode VII? [face_thinking]

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    whatever this location is I think its going to be used for maybe episode 8/9 too

Jedirush2112 likes this.
  24. Dewback

Jul 18, 1998

[​IMG]

25. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Like with LOST.

Echo-07 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.