main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's A Kind Of Magic... Highlander (The Remake Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jun 17, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Highlander on BBC right now. I missed the opening, I love the wrasslin show.

2. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    The opening scene was awesome. They integrated the Queen soundtrack into that flawlessly. The camera work was great,
    and Connor's posture during the wrasslin was damn hilarious.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think we're arguing the same thing, but from different takes.

Yeah, but the novelization has problems. Certain parts fit and can be retrofitted into the lore, other parts cannot.

Actually, it was cut because of either pacing or that it was cut because FOX didn't get it.

Within the context of the first film, it was winner takes all. That's why Ramirez doesn't answer Connor about what would happen if the two of them were the only ones left at the end. You're supposed to think that Ramirez could betray and kill Connor, if he had killed the Kurgan first. Same with Kastagir. The novelization, which does have issues, establishes that he had a tendency for screwing Connor over. The series spun it differently by citing that while one was weak, another could take advantage and thus fights were one on one, so long as everyone stuck to the rules.

As I understood it from TV Guide, going into season five, the show had consistent ratings. So that couldn't be a factor. According to what's known, the fifth season budget had been decided midway through season four and it was then that two episodes were held over for season five, which would allow for 20 episodes to air in the US, for both seasons. The rest of the world had it the way the VHS and DVD sets have them. 20 and 18 respectively. With season six, as I understand it, the budget issues were ongoing throughout the first half of 97.

They didn't fail to inform the fans, because they didn't want to pigeon hole themselves again. You had a feature film and a spinoff in the works in 1997. It would be stupid to put a number on things, since no one can predict the future. Panzer and Davis had no idea how long "The Raven" would run, or how many more sequels they could get out. There was even discussions of doing a TV mini-series and another full series, in 2005. The fans who left in season six did so because of the spinoff episodes and the way the main arc was handled. Those who disliked "The Raven" didn't like that it was too different from what came before. And with "Endgame", between the butchered theatrical cut and the anger over Connor's death, that's why things diminished as they had. The Gathering and the Prize were far from important in the fans minds.

It was more than just Tessa and Richie. It was a lot of issues that began brewing in "Forgive Us, Our Trespass" and carried to "Not To Be".

His character was resurrected because the bonding company and production company wanted him in it, beyond just a flashback or two. He didn't return for the third film, because he had issues with the producers. Mako took over the mentor role playing Nakano, in the third film. Appearing only in the beginning of the film, in a flashback sequence. For the fourth film, Connor moved into the mentor role for Duncan.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    So you guys think the remake will be a strict remake of the original or a reboot? I'm honestly hoping it's a reboot.

5. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I just wonder what they'll do for a soundtrack.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    If they don't have "Princes of the Universe" it's dead in the water already.

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    I am disappointed at the lack of reference to the animated series.

8. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    That may be the case, but in this instance, I think it's pretty safe to assume that Connor was headed out to his car, as is stated in the novel. It would be pretty ridiculous if the hunter was the one who got caught unawares, and yet they neglect to tell you that he was actually the hunter. The storytelling in this movie isn't that complicated.

That was pretty much my point. It didn't fit well into the story they were telling, so they basically reduced that theme into a simple flirtation that the audience might wonder about for a short time, but not really get invested in. If it had worked well within the script, FOX would have gotten it, much as they got the rest of the movie.

Yes, but I made that statement because had Connor and Kastagir's conversation about double teaming the Kurgan, and then turning on each other, made it into the movie, it would be even more difficult to integrate the story of the movie into the tv series, because it proves that Connor and Kastagir were the last two. This would be something the series wouldn't be able to ignore very successfully. As you stated in an earlier post, according to the series, or the watcher files, or whatever, the immortals that the Kurgan hunted in the movie were men who had escaped him in the past, instead of the last few immortals alive.

Considering how far in advance scripts have to be submitted for a show like this, it wouldn't surprise me if the show's funds got cut largely because the season 6 script was an obvious flop.

I was steeped in Highlander media at the time the series was on. I was buying all the films in several different versions, watching the episodes as they aired, every day of the week, but by the time it came for the show to end, I wasn't the least bit interested in Highlander the Raven, or the next film. I think I watched one Raven episode a few years after that show was canceled. Considering their track record with films, they needed to prove that they could offer something good to the public by reaching the interests of people beyond their current fanbase. They should have known better than to put out a movie that was little more than a very long episode of the series. It wasn't just Connor's death that killed Endgame, as we know that most moviegoers aren't the least bit invested in the Connor character. Endgame just wasn't that good of a movie.

That's great, but it didn't excite most fans to wonder what they had in store for the future of the franchise. In a sense, they were losing their fanbase by going this route. Around this time is when they began making decision for this show, and spinoffs, and movies that would determine how people receive Highlander for a very long time. It wasn't the time to start slowing the series down. It was the time to go out with a bang, and do something memorable, but they didn't.

I'm pretty sure it will be a reboot. Film making has come so far since the original, that it would be insane for them to do a strict remake. Of course, if they don't have the financial backing to do anything more than a strict remake, that might decide things.

9. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I have to admit, this part has got me the most worried, mainly because they've gotten a first time director to do it. Don't get me wrong, maybe the suits liked his pitch and his passion, but if they chose him because, say, a "real" director would've cost too much for the film's budget, I'd say the show is already in deep crap. The first movie I think was real lightning in a bottle: they got Connery more or less at his best, Lambert more or less at his best, and picked up an actor who would go on to become one of the finest "villain" players of the modern era. That's incredibly good luck on all scores, and it's not the only luck they had. Talk about a kind of magic - have a read through the wiki on the production of the film and you can see how many times Lady Luck favoured them on this one. I mean, good grief, even Connery's monologue at the start was taped in a bathroom in a Spanish villa, which is why it has the spooky echo effect!

Anyway, let's cross our fingers and hope. I also noticed on the wiki -- not sure if it's right or not -- that the screenwriter is not in fact the guys that did Iron Man, but Melissa Rosenberg ... whose movie repertoire basically comes down to the entire Twilight saga. On the plus side, her TV credits include 8 episodes of Dexter, so....

Aegon Starcaster likes this.
  10. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    *Crosses finger* :D

Saintheart likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    But didn't Dexter downgrade in quality?

12. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Hers were in 2006-2009. From memory that's before the rot set in.

13. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Incidentally, is anyone else as personally incensed that, thanks to Hollywood generally, in science fiction and/or fantasy films we are basically reduced to hoping movies don't suck as opposed to hoping or expecting they turn out to be great?

14. Aegon Starcaster

Jun 27, 2013
    Definitely. It's hard to find good science fiction/fantasy that isn't based off of a book.
    I guess I can understand why, but a good Highlander movie doesn't seem like it should be all that hard to pull off.
    Unfortunately, a few of the Highlander movies have been among the list of worst movies I've ever seen :(

15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Right, but in the movie, Connor senses Fasil which is why he goes to the garage. That leans things towards Connor hunting for Fasil and finally sensing him. No, the film isn't that difficult, but at the same time, it is a bit easy.

The studio didn't get the movie at all, which is why they didn't really promote it. Whether or not it had to do with cutting the entire bar scene, around which the 1783 flashback was originally framed as, is difficult to tell.

One scene or not doesn't change the context of the film into the series continuity. The fact is that in taking the story of the first film into the series, the basic story happened, just bits of dialogue didn't happen and something else was said or not said at all.

Using the series template is actually what made it a better film. Especially given that an earlier draft had Connor and Duncan fighting each other over Kate. This was a different script that was reworked into a "Highlander" film and was pretty bad. As to marketing to the fans, yes, it was marketed to the fans. There was enough open for general audiences who had seen one or the other.

16. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Methos was the most interesting character in the series, imo; they should have gone with a show starring him rather than Amanda.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

/Duncan's immortal sense goes off...

"I am Duncan MacLeod..."
    "... of the Clan MacLeod. Want a beer?"

18. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    The introduction of Methos had to be one of the best and most brilliant introductions to a character that I'd ever seen.

19. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    It really was...

Juliet316 likes this.
  20. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    Wingfield's Methos could have been the Highlander franchise's Loki. He was such a great contrast to MaCleod's slightly preachy nobility, it worked pretty much whenever you put them both on screen together.

Aegon Starcaster and Juliet316 like this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Wasn't Mario van Peebles the villain in the third movie?

22. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yes.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I am seriously hoping that this reboot gets just as menacing a villain as Clancy Brown was in the original.

24. soitscometothis

Jul 11, 2003
    But how do you measure up to Clancy Brown? He has the height, the face, the voice, plus he can act.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Tom Hardy?