main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Would it have been better if Dooku was given screentime in EP I?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I always thinks he is a very interesting character, but the movie gave him too little time thus his character couldn't be understood well without looking at EU. If Lucas had thought about him in EP I, Let him show up as the Jedi Master and let us see how displeased he was with the Republic and Jedi Council, along with his relationship with Palpatine and Qui Gon. This would have helped greatly. I don't understand why did Lucas delete the Library scene in EP II, this would also introduce him before he showed up.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I've seen a fan edit which almost completely removes Dooku from the trilogy and the story works fantastically well without him.

I Think it could have been better to have had him established in Episode 1, but that film was already overstretching the numbers of characters and subplots. I think it might have been better to have kept Maul, personally.

Granger and SithStarSlayer like this.
  3. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Like I said, the movie gave him too little time to build his character, the audience don't understand him and his importance simply based on movies.

Maul was nowhere close to Dooku as a character, he also couldn't reflect the problem of the Jedi.

whostheBossk likes this.
  4. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I think Dooku's backstory relates to one of the most understated themes of the PT: That despite being the good guys, the Jedi themselves are quite broken.

By the time we see him in AOTC, he's pretty far fallen into darkness, but that's not why he left the order initially. He left because he recognized the Order's ineptitude. He saw the very real corruption in the senate. He wanted out of a system in which he could never make a true impact on the galaxy.

I wish he had been worked into the story of the PT. To see his disillusionment with the Council, to see him leave after the death of Qui Gon, and then return ten years later as a Sith Lord would have been quite powerful.

5. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I wouldn't say "better". It would merely establish the character, nothing more. Everything we needed to know is explained in AotC, so...

Darkslayer likes this.
  6. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Wouldn't make a difference to me, Dooku's character never did anything for me.

7. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I don't see how, exactly, that would "improve" anything. Besides, it would spoil the reveal in AotC, which I thought was done quite brilliantly.

Darth Raiden and Alexrd like this.
  8. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    no I don't think so.

9. Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan

Vaapad Master Daeg Tynan Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Well said. I agree with your sentiments exactly. Perhaps with some further backstory setup in EpI, Dooku's comments to Kenobi in EpII regarding his relationship with QuiGon and the corruption within the Senate would've have more bite to it. As it is, it just seemed like a cheap ploy to sway Kenobi.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Obviously not, even that library scene was deleted, we don't really understand much about him.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    The library scene would have improved things, I agree-- well, except for the pacing.

12. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Totally, in the movies it looks like Dooku was just trying to sway Obi Wan, like Saruman.

13. Minez01

Minez01 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 12, 2005
    I'd like to have seen Dooku show up in Episode I I think. I don't particularly love or hate his backstory, I wouldn't have minded if they'd have kept Maul somehow throughout Episode II (in fact I'd have liked it if they kept Maul through to EPIII) but my opinion is that if they're going to insert a character into the saga that has some sort of importance, I'd like that person to have been fleshed out fully as a character (same with all other characters). To that end, a mention or appearance in Ep I wouldn't have been a bad thing.

14. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Or they could have replaced maul with dooku in episode I. Show him as a master who leaves the jedi because of their ineptitude and is seduced to the dark side by sidious. With his final step into the dark being killing Qiu-Gon.

V-2 likes this.
  15. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    It wouldn't take much to CGI him into the Jedi council chamber scene, if that would make people feel better. ;)

whostheBossk, BigAl6ft6 and Thuro like this.
  16. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    He was not part of the council, he rejected the offer because he thought the council isn't doing much.

17. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    Was that established in the films?

18. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I don't support digitally putting him in the movie, but I guess it would have been nice if he had at least a cameo. Maybe a little, but nothing big. I don't really know whether he was still with the Jedi at the point, but you could see him leaving or something, and it would be cool.

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Dooku was still a Jedi during TPM, but he had grown increasingly disgusted with the Jedi's methods. Qui-Gon's death was the last straw for him, and then Palpatine swooped in to convince him to join the Sith.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No, but it would very out of character if he just sit there and see the other guys disagree with Qui Gon.

21. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    I would've liked to have seen Dooku as a non-Jedi character. Just a nobleman and businessman, sick of all the endless bureaucracy clogging up the galaxy and wanting the Sith to do something about it. Maybe in place of some of the pathetic Separatist leaders. All the Jedi stuff, in amongst Maul and Anakin as the main apprentices, was just a bit too much story IMO.

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

Totally agree.

The scene in Plagueis did a lot for me as far as showing Dooku both disgruntled with the Order and embarrassed by Qui-Gon, did a lot for me.

23. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I remember he was embarrassed by Vosa, for her crush on him.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    That's not what I remember. [face_laugh]

Qui-Gon mouthing off at Plagueis was probably the best scene in that book, other than the end.

25. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    But there were loads of Jedi just sat there. You could easily cut (or otherwise insert) a reaction shot to what's being said.

Anyway, how would it be out of character if that's how he was to be introduced? Have I missed the point of this thread? So you want to introduce Dooku to TPM but without messing up the EU continuity... How does that work? Why would you want to do that?