main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT In your opinion, Does Boba really deserve all the love he gets?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mzukiller, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    Literally all he did was stand there and look cool. I'll admit, I thought that made him the coolest, most smartest, most swaggiest character too. But now that I'm older it's just not making sense any more. We all know Fett has cool armor, but he's a wuss that got knocked off a floating boat by a blind guy.

2. Aegon Starcaster

Aegon Starcaster Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 27, 2013
    He means a little bit more to the OT than that. He's responsible for a lot of what happened in 2 of the 3 movies.
    If it weren't for him, Luke may have stayed on Dagobah to complete his training, so he has a pretty big impact on the story.
    Besides, his screen presence made people feel something for him. It's special because not every character can have that effect.

I can't say whether or not he deserves to be as popular as he is, because I have no way of measuring his popularity.
    But I do think he's deserving of much of it. He's a great character, but not everyone thinks so.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I thought the coolest part of Fett was the voice....then they re-voiced him with Temuera Morrison. Oh well.

Granger, Darth Pwn, Beezer and 2 others like this.
  4. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    He found Solo when no one else did. He then not only gives him to Vader and collects the bounty but he also then takes him to Jabba to collect that bounty. 2 for 1. Fett is a re-use of Vader from the original scripts when Vader was a hunter of some sort who helped hunt down Jedi.

Lucas stated in an interview that he never got why Fett got as popular as he did, which is sort of why he got the silly death he did in Jedi.

I like Fett, cool spaceship, and the SE stuff is cool.

It is my understanding that he became much more of an anti hero in the EU. I preferred him as a flat out villain.

5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I like him. I guess he doesn't really deserve it, but that's all up to the fans. He has awesome armor, and doesn't take crud from anyone, even Vader. Kind of a Star Wars dream-job.

6. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    That in itself speaks volumes about his character, as his mere presence was enough to revere the guy, ha-ha.
    I always looked at it as more Boba Fett was the perennial bounty hunter, in that he was able to follow Han Solo when he hid amidst junk/debris--and not even the Empire could manage that. Also, it appeared in ROTJ as if he had Luke on the ropes when he grappled him with a cable shot from his wrist, and right then and there he could have possibly finished off Luke, had his jetpack not malfunctioned and sent him flying into a Sarlaac Pit. As for the wuss aspect, Darth Vader, at one point, even had to ask him politely not to disintegrate anyone. Wuss, I think not.

Anyway, imho I've always felt that Boba has proven himself as a force to be reckoned with, but it didn't necessarily happen all at once, as I think he earned his rep/cred through the OT, but transcended that later on throughout multiple venues (novels, comics, games, etc.) and yeah, 'cause he had some wicked cool looking armor. Imho, the OT wouldn't have been the same without him.

7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    That's the power of good character design. It was literally his suit and gear that gave him a backstory in the minds of thousands without barely speaking a word or doing much… and he sold a lot of action figures as well. In addition, he did play the pivotal role of tracking down the Millennium Falcon when the Empire couldn't, but I doubt that's the main reason he grew the fan base he did in the 80s.

For me, it was a treat to see him again in Return of the Jedi, because we didn't see him in action that much in Empire. We saw he was a mentally crafty hunter, but didn't get to see much of his physical might. So it was cool to see him stand his ground against a Jedi Knight using his vast arsenal (and by "stand his ground," I mean last longer than 2 seconds). Though his death did give him a bad rep in this movie. Oh well.

Mzukiller likes this.
  8. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    There's always the EU to bring him back. Which I support, as Boba Fett is awesome.

Mzukiller and Force Smuggler like this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Boba - meh.

I remember when ANH came out and "Vader killed Anakin" (or so the story went), that perhaps Anakin had survived and was undercover as Boba. Boy, was I wrong. :)

10. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    E5 Boba Fett: Yes, he deserves the love. He is the essence of cool. He doesn't back down to Vader and he outsmarts Han.

E6 Boba Fett: No way. He does very little and has a very ignoble end. I much prefer Jango's death than Boba's. Jango gets decapitated by one of the most powerful Jedi. Boba gets killed purely by accident.

Mzukiller and Darth Raiden like this.
  11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    But both "died" because of a malfunctioning/broken jetpack. Trilogy symmetry FTW.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  12. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Cool personality, cool armour, cool weapons, cool ship, cool toy.....and to top it off the best helmet of all time, yes Boba deserves all the love from his fans that he gets.

[​IMG]

when you look this cool you don't have to talk.

laserbrain likes this.
  13. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Yeah I always wondered why...if Boba (and all the clones for that matter) are clones of Jango, how does that translate to them having the same funny accent as him? Growing up on Kamino wouldn't they have a more Kaminoan accent? Not to mention Boba only knew his dad until he was like 9 and then roamed the galaxy killing people, wouldn't he have a very indistinguishable galaxy-wide mixture dialect? There was really no need to go back to the OT and change his voice to Jango's.

Granger likes this.
  14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Agreed. In TESB he and Palpatine are the two characters that the Emperor shows respect for. That alone makes him cool.

15. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    Fett, is a difficult one to explain.

I mean, it was just his whole character, the way he ain't gonna take no **** from anybody is pretty epic. I mean, while his role was not much at the time, I don't think George ever knew his character would grow into what it is now. If he had known Fett would be that loved, he'd definitely be more important to the story.

IMO.

16. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Politely ask? Vader told him that. Not asked.

Jetedonne Pur-Pureus likes this.
  17. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    for a brief moment I thought this thread read:

does Darth Boba deserve all the love he gets :p

I thought I was in comms for a sec :p

Aegon Starcaster and Arawn_Fenn like this.
  18. Jedi Jaunter

Jedi Jaunter Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2013
    Some guys just look cool. Some not so great players became fan favorites on sports teams for unknown reasons. Nothing unusual about his popularity. He deserves the love but he should probably be dead by now.

19. RainTrooper

RainTrooper Jedi Knight

Jun 4, 2013
    I'm on the fence about Boba.. Yeah, his helmet is badass, but the rest of his armor is just ok... I mean, c'mon, he just wears cargo pants with knee pads. I'm also not a huge fan of Boba's green/red/yellow color pallet. Jango had better armor in my opinion.

Count Yubnub and Darth Raiden like this.
  20. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I never understood the worship of Boba Fett. His "coolness" struck me as rather shallow.

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
  22. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    You're welcome to start such a thread in Comms if you like.

23. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    +1138

Same thing happened with Darth Maul. Only everything good/bad happened to him in the same film.

24. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    Yes he does, if he didn't he wouldn't get it. Its not like some third party gives Boba Fett the attention because it/he/she thinks people like him. He gets lvoe and attention of the fans, so be defination he deserves it.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Through charisma and propaganda, a leader in real life can get "love and attention" yet not deserve it, it must be said.