main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit The death star plans fiasco

Discussion in 'Literature' started by jacktherack, Nov 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    A point that's glossed over quite a bit is that Dark Forces and Havet Storm's story in Jedi Dawn at least made nods towards the original theft-of-the-Death-Star-plans scenario via Operation Skyhook at Toprawa in the original Star Wars radio drama. (Dark Forces mentioned Operation Skyhook, and Jedi Dawn puts Havet on the ground on Toprawa and explicitly identifies the segment he was responsible for as being separate from the main plans.)

As was pointed out earlier, the graphic novel adaptation of Dark Forces, Soldier of the Empire, established the existence of two sets of plans, one bound for Toprawa and one guarded on Danuta, and why both were needed to ensure success. Rebel Dawn established that Bria and Red Hand Squadron held off the Imperials while the plans were transmitted to Leia's ship, which overlaps somewhat with Jedi Dawn but doesn't openly step on its toes.

As far as I know, these are the only Death Star plan stories that have been explicitly retconned together with any kind of coherence. There's been a blanket retcon of "many plans, many agents", but it hasn't been expanded farther than that. Lethal Alliance included Kyle Katarn and Danuta, but their sequence of events doesn't match up with Dark Forces or the novel Death Star. That novel is the worst offender of the lot. It managed to namecheck nearly every Death Star plan theft scenario to date in a ham-fisted attempt at a retcon while contradicting the details of every single one.

The silliest part of the whole debacle is that in the original source, the NPR radio drama, the Death Star plan theft isn't even shown. Rebels attack an Imperial convoy bound for Toprawa off-mic, steal the plans, then lay low on Toprawa while waiting for Leia to arrive. Jedi Dawn has Havet witnessing this from the ground on Toprawa, but the assault itself has never been shown. Literally any number of characters could have been involved: Kyle Katarn, Starkiller, Ackbar, Ahsoka, or the yet-to-be-announced crew of the Ghost.

But we'll probably just hear about Boba Fett being hired by the Alliance to steal them from the Imperial research citadel on Felucia. :p I just hope either Rebels or the live action series does it in some form or other so the matter can finally be put to rest...

TC

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Kyle got them. Personal preference. :cool:

3. DarthCane

DarthCane Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2002
    Personal preference of everyone, especially after they heard Kyle was annoyed to hear everyone else claiming credit for it.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

or The Force Unleashed 3 has Vader spill the plans to the Rebels on Dantooine and they have to get additional sets to verify he said the truth!!! before Boba Fett gets him back. cause all the time little Annie was the hero even when slaying Jedi! :p

5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Memories fuzy but I think Shada in Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina books also stole the Death Star plans before they were stolen from her by the Rebel... I think [face_thinking]

6. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Nep she stole a part for the already under construction second Death Star.

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Technically, Darkknell doesn't even need a retcon. The guy is selling information related to the Death Star, not the Death Star plans -- he's letting the Rebellion know what exactly is going on by selling data about the Death Star project. Probably location, general specs, some holos of it under construction, the explanation of what it is, some data from the construction project, etc. From the story itself, it seems pretty clear that Garm isn't trying to get plans for a Death Star -- he's trying to get information about a vague secret project. The spy is the guy who clued the Rebellion in to the existence of the Death Star at all, not the plans thief.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  8. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Garm already knew the Death Star existed, he was there personally, along with Bail and Mothma. Making Darknell the information on it's location would fit, with Bail passing that to Mothma who orders Fortressa to go attack it before it presumably is active.

9. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    The stupid thing only is: The Rebels got Starkillers ship and Juno and thus KNOW where the DS is as per navicomputer data. They do not need that. They also have holos from the ships sensors. But no specs.

10. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    And they even use that ship later, to recover that crazy droid -- I remember from that comic book.

11. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Well, this was before TFU decided to stupid everything up, yes, but there's nothing saying that Darkknell can't be pushed back before TFU. Though you can't go too far because you can't have Armand taken out before AOTE.

12. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    Well, there's always A Death Star Is Born. Which also predicted Mickey Mouse ears on the Imperial emblem.

13. Hopeless

Hopeless Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2006
    How many people ran star wars games where they recovered the Death Star plans?

Looks around... so just my group, REALLY?;)

And a few months back I was about to establish a game where one of those characters was stuck 20 years in the past and set up a scene where the new PCs were rummaging through his effects (he died shortly before start of play) and notice a datapad and says,"This has the plans for the Death Star!".
    "You know they blew that up about a year ago right?" says their comrade.
    "Yes but this one mentions a SECOND one...!"

Couldn't help myself!

Sorry for the interruption but I recall the Death Star was mentioned in that prequel book which involved the moving world the Vong encountered along with a certain jedi whose actually a sith... yes well I recall those plans were handed to Tarkin and somehow Dooku ended up getting the Geonosians to make sense of them before he took them back in AOTC and thats when they focused on the plot...

All that time and not a single Geonosian mentioned anything about that secret project?

Imagine that they have better security than the Bothans!

Sarge likes this.
  14. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    Rogue Planet ,Tarkin and Sienar have a discussion about an expeditionary battle plantetiod station. Actually I think I might have a solution since the plans changed hands several times during the period between Tpm and Aotc. maybe one group stole Sienars plans, one group stole the Geonosians plans seen in AOTC, One group stole Bevel Lemilisks plans and another group stole plans Tarkin was sending to the Maw.

15. Darth_Garak

Darth_Garak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    So some of the stolen plans were worth bantha podoo? Good to know people died for that.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  16. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Didn't Han Solo also help steal a set of DS plans in Empire at War?

17. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    Now it seems that the characters in Rebels will also be having a hand in finding the plans.

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Heh -- that was one of the first things I talked about when the deal was announced in 2012.

I love that comic. So much.

19. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    IIRC, the Force Unleashed Campaign Guide did push Darkknell back to before TFU. Having Armand involved in an ongoing comic series did indeed call this retcon into question, but I think it's less of a problem now that the series has ended. (Well, for now.)

TC

DigitalMessiah likes this.
  20. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    I feel inspired to become to TFU what sinrebirth is to LOTF.

21. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

From waaay back, but now that the thread's bumped:

Artoo didn't have access to everything. In the movie, he can't even access all the information about the detention block because some of it's restricted.

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Why floppies or NES carts? Why couldn't they be the SW equivalent of a flashdrive? For all we know they're just flat thumb drives and those things can hold up to, what? Half a terabyte these days?

But if we want to scale them back to 1990's technology (when all these plan theft stories were made), zip disks (effectively the same thing as a floppy) commonly came in quarter-gig and three-quarter-gig capacities. Scale it back to the 80's and 90's, and you have tape drive carts that could hold almost half-a-gi to upwards of multiple-gigs (and, considering ANH's quote about "the stolen data tapes"...).

And, considering the schematics seem to be rendered as wireframe vector graphics, I don't think the storage capacity would need to be all that great to begin with.

Gorefiend likes this.
  23. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011

Regardless, I think it's probably a fool's errand to try to extrapolate data capacity from the type of storage format in Star Wars.

24. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    They were stolen data tapes, guys. :p
    [​IMG]

Sarge and jacktherack like this.
  25. The_Phantom_Calamari

Nov 10, 2011
    Frantically analyzing the design readouts of a planet-demolishing space station just isn't the same without the warmth and fuzz that comes from a classic data tape encoding, maaaan.

WMIRTUTSF and The2ndQuest like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.