main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit fate of the jedi and new jedi order shortcut reading

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DoubleGold, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Before I begin, I can say that, all of these can be bought from Amazon. 4.00 to 6.00 for a used book, this includes the price of shipping.
    No book before the 12th New jedi Order book can be bought as an Audio CD, anything before that is audio cassette, which I don't have so I ignore that. Most Fate of the Jedi books can be bought audio CD, while some don't have that option.
    The problem is Audio CD is usually 10-25 dollars, this includes shipping price and yes, used.
    So this can get expensive.
    Which books would be worth shortcuting, ie, paying for the CD instead of the book?
    Either because they are long or hard to comprehend/understand?
    I hear Vortex is long, and is one I would consider taking the shortcut.

2. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    The NJO books are all abridged in audio book format, whereas Fate of the Jedi is unabridged.

Personally, I'd say shortcut by not reading FOTJ at all! But YMMV I guess.

Gorefiend likes this.
  3. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    The best shortcut is to skip LOTF and FOTJ altogether. You'll thank me later.

SiouxFan, JackG, Gorefiend and 4 others like this.
  4. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Id say these are must reads for NJO
    Vector prime
    Agents of chaos 1 & 2
    Edge of victory 1 & 2
    Star by star
    Traitor
    The final prophecy
    The unifying force

5. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004

[​IMG]

6. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    Why all this dislike for Fate of the Jedi? Legacy of the Force? I noticed in other threads many dislike it as well.

And if I skip that, will I know what is going on in Crucible or Dark Nest Trilogy?

7. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Legacy of the force is a good series, i wouldnt skip that. FOTJ is decent but its so slow the first 4 books or so. I never read the Dark nest trilogy or crucible yet, But i think crucible is a stand alone story, wont be lost in it.

8. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    There's a vocal, if not sizable, group of fans that are unhappy with the direction which the Expanded Universe took after the NJO.

9. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

LotF and FotJ suffered from its structure, which had a rotating team of 3 authors writing three books one after the other. Plot threads that were brought up in one book were dropped in subsequent ones as the author changed, and each author tended to put their own pet characters forwards and characterization changed from book to book which was very jarring.

The worst part of both series was the lack of galaxy building. Both series involved galaxy spanning threats. Yet we mostly saw them through the same viewpoints which was especially evident in LotF where we had a large civil war, but no scale to put in context unlike the Galactic Civil War books or the NJO in the Yuuzhan Vong war. FotJ was a bit better with the introduction of the Lost Tribe of Sith and some new characters, but at that point, Sith were very boring and the new characters weren't used all that much, and there was nothing really notable about the new characters besides Wynn Dorvan.

Another failure was the lack of development of a future generation. Jaina was sidelined through most of LotF, until they remembered her in the last two books, where the writers immediately forgot her past as a war veteran (like she seriously needed training from Boba Fett...? :rolleyes: ). They also never gave Ben Skywalker any friends or barely anyone his age, which was glaring given the series built around Jacen and Jaina when they were younger.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

Dark Nest is before both of those, so there's no reason you shouldn't know what's going on. Crucible probably not.

The dislike for Fate of the Jedi comes from the fact the series was created as an author's saving throw (Author's attempt to fix previous mistakes) for Legacy of the Force, mostly in terms of Jacen Solo and the massive character derailment he underwent. The series started off focusing on that, and then went even further off the rails with numerous other plots (incidentally leaving even more plot threads left hanging at the series end) and only derailed Jacen's character even further, and giving further insane reasoning for his actions in LOTF. The eldritch villain of Abeloth was shoehorned in, given little development or buildup, and besides the characters speaking of this galaxy spanning conflict hardly seemed to be as fearsome as a being of her power would require. The series ends with the heroes receiving no type of thanks whatsoever, and instead leaving in shame. Given that the previous series also had an unhappy ending this one just adds fuel to the fire.

The dislike for Legacy of the Force comes from the character derailment of Jacen Solo, the retconning of Vergere's history, and the fact a mass murderer is placed at the head of the reigning galactic government at the end of the story. Jacen Solo is completely killed as a character, and the villain he's turned into doesn't even make it worth it. He's ineffective, deluded, and laughably like his grandfather. (Doesn't help that he even see's his grandfather at one point, decides not to be like him, and ends up being like him anyways.) The problems that lead to the conflict starting are never actually confronted, and the series instead ends with everything being swept under the rug, the heroes mourning the death of a loved one, and the galaxy once again reeling from the aftereffects of a major war.

Both series suffered from the same problem that NJO did, which is multiple authors with different ideas, styles that don't mesh, and a lack of communication. This led to certain characters receiving more focus in certain books, and led to the series as a whole being confusing as some people looked more important than they actually were.

(Note that above are fairly brief summaries into why people dislike both series. There are entire threads dedicated to looking further into the issues.)

In terms of NJO if you choose to shortcut, focus on:

Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star by Star, Traitor, Destiny's Way, The Unifying Force

You'll miss some things, but that's inevitable when skipping around in such a large series.

11. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    darthjenari, So wait, you're idea of shortcutting a series is not to buy the audio CD, but to read only a select few books in the series? That's 6 out of 19, why those ones?

12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    You don't happen to remember which book that was in, do you? I was looking for that scene the other day and couldn't find it.

13. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    He watches ROTS on DVD in Swarm War, he flow-walks in Bloodlines.

Revanfan1 and Point Given like this.
  14. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

That's my idea cause I don't do audio CD's, and you pointed out you couldn't get the first 12 since they weren't on CD. Vector Prime, Balance Point, and Star by Star are within the first twelve. Those books because i'd say they're the most important to the story.

15. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Watching ROTS on DVD was actually one of my favorite parts of the Dark Nest trilogy...until Jacen liked what Anakin was doing. Luke and Mara's reactions to Padme's death and Anakin's attitude were beyond perfect.

16. DarthSanctimonious

DarthSanctimonious Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 18, 2006
    Vector Prime, Balance Point, Star by Star, Destiny's Way, and The Unifying Force are the ones that were originally released in hardcover, and each comes complete with several pages of exposition as to what happened in the intervening paperbacks so that you can figure out what's going on if you didn't read them. Traitor is widely considered one of the best books (if not the best) in the entire EU, although there are some people who absolutely hate it; I'm not going to comment on why because I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

17. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    It was a contrived subplot which was shoehorned into the story because OMG EPISODE III JUST CAME OUT. Somehow Mara maybe killed Padme because Alema said it out of the blue is an excuse to dig out the ROTS DVD to watch it.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I did forget about this. That really was stupid; I think Mara would know if she'd killed Luke's mother and I think by now Luke would trust Mara about it. However if I were writing it, I'd write a pre-NJO book where Luke and Mara discover said DVD. And then Jacen couldn't go and ruin everything by being a twenty-something little brat. At least he'd be a teenaged brat. :p

Gamiel likes this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Don't bother with anything past the NJO. Read the whole NJO but stop there.

JackG, Nobody145, DarthJenari and 2 others like this.
  20. DarthJenari

Dec 17, 2011

*takes off glasses* Not counting Crosscurrent and Riptide. Read both of those.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    And Mercy Kill. Crosscurrent, Riptide and Mercy Kill are okay.

22. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    It was incredibly stupid. Surely the GFFA would at least have blu ray.

Gorefiend and DigitalMessiah like this.
  23. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Remember, Artoo is from the prequel era. They didn't have blu-ray then.

Gorefiend likes this.
  24. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    What about Crucible, aren't any of you curious to see how star wars ends, since it is the last book in the timeline?

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Feel free to pass, little point to it, if you get it for free, or for 1 buck at a used book store, sure, but otherwise, meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.