main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT When exactly did Vader find out that Luke was his son?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darthbarracuda, Nov 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Thats just my speculation.

Its could also very well be that Vader and the Emperor just found out about Lukes last name the week before ESB started.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True. Still, it's not like Lucas hasn't made use of the EU before. The name "Coruscant" came from the EU. Lucas originally planned to name the capital planet "Had Abaddon".

When in doubt, I prefer EU answers to my own speculations.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  3. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

Yes, but didn't he also basically have to be begged not to change it? Meaning, he was going to just ignore the EU. Hell, he has said its a different universe then the movies. Plus, its most likely about to get a HUGE overhaul at hte least.

I dont hate the EU i read some of. Currently reading Scoundrals right now. But ultimately, its speculation just like any amount of fan speculation. When did vader and the Emperor find out about Luke......we don't have the definative answer.

4. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Even with respect to the movies, there's no such thing as a "definitive answer" since the movies might be revised some time in the future.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  5. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    In a sense, it kind of depends which version of the story you prefer. I tend to go with the Marvel Comics version, starting with "Dark Lord's Gambit". It presents the story well without giving away anything from the soon-to-be-released TESB.

6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    As Iron_lord pointed out that Vader uses Luke's surname when he says that he's sure that Luke is on Hoth.

I personally doubt that Vader or the Emperor knew too much about Luke until ESB. I would say that Skywalker is a less common name; open the galactic holo comm book and you will find a good number of Skywalkers. Vader might have been looking for Luke because he wanted to know whether or not Luke was his son or some cruel trick by Obi-Wan.

At some point the Emperor had either done some digging, meditating or he knew more than he said he knew back in RotS or all the above.

I would be heavily tempted to say that the Emperor knew more than he said he did simply because he brushes Vader off when questioned the older Sith about the family connection between the younger Sith and the would be Jedi.

7. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Lucas did say something along those lines in an interview- that it's far from a unique name:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Skywalker_wine

Lady_Misty likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007

Certainly not as common as Smith in the USA, I know five different families with that last name that aren't related. My last name is uncommon but it didn't originate for the British Isles and from Germany we believe. So, spelling, pronunciation can be changed. My dad said he met someone with our last name but a letter was omitted.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I think the moment the DS was blown up, Luke became famous. Word spread. It probably got back to the Empire pretty quickly that a Rebel pilot named Luke Skywalker, the new poster boy hero for the rebellion, fired the shot.

10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In the Rebel Force books, the Rebels, (aware that if the Empire knows who Luke is, they will target him for assassination) do their best to keep Who Killed The Death Star a secret (after that one ceremony at the end of ANH).

It does not last very long.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  11. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Incorrect. All EU answers are valid unless they are directly contradicted by one of the movies.

12. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

Vader knew that Palps wanted to replace him with Luke?

13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or at least, strongly suspected. Especially since his own plan was to overthrow Palpatine with Luke's help.

In the same book, later, Dooku's fate is on his mind:

"Strike me down with all of your hatred," the Emperor spat, "and your journey toward the dark side will be complete."
    Using the Force, Luke snatched up his weapon, activated its blade, and swung fast at the Emperor's head. But Vader moved faster, activating his own lightsaber to deftly block Luke's attack. The sight of Vader and Luke crossing lightsabers excited and amused the Emperor, and he cackled with perverse glee. Vader recalled that Palpatine had laughed the same way over two decades ago, when he had ordered Anakin Skywalker to kill Count Dooku.
    I was the victor then, Vader thought as he used his lightsaber to drive Luke away from the Emperor. And the Force is with me now!
    As their duel carried on throughout the throne room, the Dark Lord sensed that Luke was drawing from his own anger to fuel his attack. From his throne, the Emperor said, "Good. Use your aggressive feelings, boy! Let the hate flow through you."
    My Master wants Luke to win, Vader realized with some resentment. I will not give him that satisfaction. I will not be —
    Unexpectedly, Luke deactivated his lightsaber and said "I will not fight you, Father.
    "You are unwise to lower your defences." Vader said, as he brought his lightsaber up fast. With incredible speed, Luke reactivated his weapon to parry Vader's attack. Soon, Vader was breathing hard through his respirator. I can't let Luke defeat me, Vader thought. I won't let the Emperor have him!

VanishingReality likes this.
  14. darthbarracuda

darthbarracuda Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 4, 2012

What book is that again? It's really good.

15. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    'The Rise and Fall of Darth Vader', by Ryder Windham. It basically tells the enire saga from Anakin Skywalker/Darth Vader's POV.

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    There's three others in a similar style- one for Luke, one for Obi-Wan, and one for Maul. The one for Luke focuses more on side incidents, rather than the main plot of the movies, though.

17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Correct - EU answers are valid, as explanations. However, let's leave debate over 'canon' to the EU forums - and obstinate EU bashing for its own sake is not welcome.

If the EU provides information regarding unanswered questions about the films, feel free to bring it up - but identify such information as EU. Individual users can take it or leave it as they wish.

I'll be putting together some CT Forum rules when I get a chance, they'll be similar to Saga when it comes to the EU. Saga rules on EU here:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...s-updated-please-read.50009764/#post-50704645

18. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013
    The Star Wars comic book series has now saying that Vader found out about Luke from an Imperial agent he tasked with finding out about the pilot who destroyed the Death Star, and she found out by back tracked records.

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    That may be the first time he found out Luke's name, at least.

20. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I agree with the previous comments that it was before TESB. Another question you might ask if how did they know who Luke was in the first place: well the answer is that Vader was determined to find the rebel who destroyed the First Death Star.Though it could be argued that Palpatine would have sensed him anyway.

21. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

She told him he was from Tatooine and raised by Owen and Beru who were his aunt and uncle and that his parents are unknown.That there are no records of his birth or adoption. More then just his name.

22. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I find the explanation from the excerpts Iron_lord posted to be the most logical explanation available, IMO.

As far as Vader knows, he killed Padme. Right then and there on Mustafar. So as far as he knows, the baby died with her. He holds that belief for nearly two decades. He then finds out that the guy who blew up the Death Star was named Skywalker (as apparent in ESB when he mentions "Skywalker" on Hoth). And it's obvious that he is specifically targeting Luke. Even if we ignore all EU, why is Vader so concerned with Luke specifically?

In ANH Vader realizes that the Force is strong with the pilot that destroyed the Death Star (and he later finds out this pilot has the last name "Skywalker"); earlier in the events of ANH, Obi-Wan was part of the team that rescued Leia, a known Rebel sympathizer.

I think Vader was highly suspicious that it was no coincidence that a Skywalker that is strong in the Force shows up around the same time that Obi-Wan Kenobi emerges from hiding. I can believe that Vader would be obsessively going over it in his head as to whether or not Palpatine told him the truth, especially when Vader seemed to disbelieve Palpatine from the beginning ("I... couldn't have. She was alive, I felt it!")

I think when Palpatine confirms that Luke must be Anakin's son that it finally confirms something that Vader had long suspected but didn't KNOW with 100% certainty.

23. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The EU-krishnas are in for a very rude awakening come Episode 7. Can't wait to see how they retcon Chewbacca's death.

[​IMG]

24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Ignoring the garbage which is the EU, my interpretation has always been the following:

They buried Padme in such a way as to make her look pregnant, as if the unborn child died with her. For all Vader knew, she died on Mustafar but regardless, he never knew he had any surviving children. Luke stays hidden on Tatooine for 18 years but, after destroying the Death Star, joins the Alliance full time. By the start of E5, he is a Commander, and it isn't like he's using an alias.

So I think it's safe to say the name "Luke Skywalker" became pretty well known in the Alliance. He's an officer and a leader, not to mention the guy who destroyed the Death Star. So when something is so commonly known, eventually it will be picked up by Imperial Spies, and the info made its way up the chain of command.

However, despite the fact that Vader knows Luke is alive, he never gets confirmation that Luke is the one who destroyed the Death Star. Deep down he knew it was true, but I think he was also in a little bit of denial. So he's looking for Luke at the start of E5, which brings us to Hoth. He loses him at Hoth, but traps and tortures his friends, etc.

Darth Eddie likes this.
  25. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Obi-Wan taunted him as a Force-Ghost.

FG Obi-Wan: "Anakin. YOU ARE THE FATHER!"
    Darth Vader: "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Darth Eddie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.