main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph A Song of Ice and Fire Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by -RebelScum-, Jan 3, 2006.

1. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
  2. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Crap, if they burn through all/most of Bran's plot this season they're going to have to start making **** up, and that never turns out well. I was hoping Bloodraven would only appear in visions, but now that doesn't seem to be the case.

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They could shorten the season too, though I doubt that could happen.

4. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Shorten? Ten episodes is short as it is, even for an HBO series.

5. Volderon

Volderon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2007
    Yep. This is pretty much the beginning of the end. You can only delay some characters plots for so long, Bran having 3 chapters in ADWD is coming back to bite everyone. This is the season that will show how they will differ from the books.

6. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Dammit I forgot about HBO episode lengths.

7. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    When I read the story, some of the comment speculation was that we wouldn't meet the 3-eyed raven or Leaf until the end of the season...also/and/or they could use Bran's weirwood visions as a method to fill in the story gaps given there are no flash backs up until this point. My point I guess is that not all options are doom and gloom, lol.

8. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    You may be right but I have a feeling it won't be, we already has Bran wandering last season and we can't have another full season considering the terrain of the North isn't that interesting, snow snow more snow. But if this IS true, either way, they're going to have to make stuff up for the next season.

9. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Well, if they get Coldhands into the story early, like by the 3rd Bran scene in episode 1, I'll breathe a lot easier.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought that they were already making stuff up for the past season?

11. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Yes. Mostly changes, and mostly bad (see: Talisa).

GrandAdmiralJello and krtmd like this.
  12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    See also: Making Arya a murderer.

13. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
  14. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    A common mistake. Murder actually means unjust killing, not the simple act of ending a human life.

15. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    My worry isn't too much for this season, although I think we're going to see some material really s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d and I suspect that will lead to some disgruntled viewing, at least on my part. (Although, that's nothing new either. see: Talisa)

It's what comes for S5 that has me concerned. Even if GRRM turned in TWOW manuscript tomorrow, it's 6-9 months until publication. I agree we're going to be verging into "made-up" content in a big way about book characters that matter. I'm not going to lie and say that I trust DB and DW to make that work.

16. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Alright. Technically, Arya is an accessory to murder before the fact - 3 times over - and a killer.

eta. I should edit that to say 2x, since the third name she gives is Jaqen himself. And isn't the assassination of the man in ADWD murder? It's a premeditated crime.

17. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

Who did Arya murder unjustly in the show?

18. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    She accidentally stabs a boy when she goes to retrieve Needle right before Ned loses his head (S1). She also kills a Frey soldier after the RW while riding with Sandor.

eta. Is it unjust to murder a Frey? :p

19. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    krtmd, all those people she had Jaquen kill deserved to die. She usually never does anything to people otherwise. The show breached this major feature of her behavior by having her viciously kill some infantryman that was present at the Red Wedding. It was really disappointing for me, and just showed how much they don't understand the character.

20. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I agree that all the people Arya names to Jaqen are reprehensible, and I certainly cheered their demise. I also agree that the show simplifies the character of Arya and her journey. I'd say DB and DW show their ignorance of almost all the female characters - I'm pretty sure you don't want me to start railing on what they've done to showSansa and showCat. *weeps* I shudder to think what they're going to do with my favorite female character - Brienne - going forward. (And as I feel very emotional towards my favorite characters, I sincerely apologize if I seemed cavalier about Arya. She's a complicated character, and if it's one thing GOT is getting wrong, it's complicated characterization.)

But it is true that Arya becomes an assassin - or at least an apprentice to one. She does murder a man in ADWD, with careful planning and forethought. He may be a bad man - I don't recall if we know why he's been named for death.

21. Volderon

Jul 23, 2007
    Actually, they rush published ADWD. It was "Done" April 2011 and it was published in July. So it can be done on short notice if needed.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Wocky: "Deserving" to die doesn't mean it's not murder, you sociopath. :p

No, she's actually an accomplice, which is more serious. When you solicit a crime and the crime is actually committed, then it's subject to the doctrine of merger. Their crimes become your crimes, whereas an accessory is just someone who helps a person who commits a crime but is not around when the crime itself is committed.

yankee8255 likes this.
  23. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    In Westerosi law? ;)

24. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword." The only murders Arya is responsible for are the ones she committed herself.

25. krtmd

krtmd Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    Well, that would exonerate Joffrey for taking Ned Stark's head. I'm thinking no-go on that rationale, sorry.

It's an honorable thing Ned lives by, but I'm not sure we should apply it to all killings.