main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit fate of the jedi and new jedi order shortcut reading

Discussion in 'Literature' started by DoubleGold, Nov 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    It's a trap!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    I didnt like the "I had a vision, maybe i should go sith and kill everyone to see if that helps" part of jacen, Other then that, i thought LOTF was alright, but thats my opinion.

3. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Um, sorry, but when a series ends with Natasi Daala as Chief of State, on top of butchering Vergere and Jacen, and pointlessly killing off so many characters I like, it kind of loses all credibility and isn't worth reading in my opinion.

4. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011

That it is and while I completely disagree with it at many levels, i'll defend to the death your right to have it.

Force Smuggler and Odolwa like this.
  5. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    While that's certainly the reading Denning went with - that Jacen would do anything to regain that high, while overlooking that all it probably required was a good supply of death sticks and super-shrooms - it is very contested here.

I'm nowhere near a fan of Jacen for instance and don't like it. Jacen irritated me profusely across NJO, but by the end he's actually got his head screwed on and worked out the problems he had. (That there's a big opportunity for someone who doesn't want to be a warrior despite being able to is sadly gone by the by.) Thus the idea that he would end up taking the path he starts in DN isn't one I can buy into.

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Also, I just completely disagree with the need to kill two of the Solo children. Killing one was bad enough, but at least after that Jacen and Jaina helped win the war and both seemed stable and happy and with a bright future by the end of the NJO. Only for LotF to run over that idea multiple times, then FotJ ran over LotF too. LotF up until book 8 might have had a few decent moment, tolerable writing, but from book 8 onwards it was just pain and misery and sheer stupidity on the part of almost everyone involved except for a few pet characters (and I mean that for both Revelation and Invincible).

This board is the EU board basically, so a lot of us are invested in characters and characterization and logic and long-running continuity used well. I didn't like NJO's dark direction already, and LotF just... while Jacen's "high" in TUF could be interpreted as getting a taste of ultimate power and that ruining him for the rest of his life its a... depressing way to view things. Doesn't help that LotF's ending was absolutely ludicrous and FotJ lowered the bar even more with each and every single book.

So yeah, focus on NJO books, maybe DNT if its not too expensive, but don't bother with LotF, FotJ or Crucible. Millennium Falcon wasn't that bad, but wasn't that great either, but that still makes it much better than LotF and FotJ, and as others mentioned the non main series books aren't bad either.

7. Quinnocent-Till-Sith

Quinnocent-Till-Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 21, 2004
    At the start of LotF, I thought Jacen had this really interesting way of falling to the dark side by way of detachment - which made sense as someone siding with the Sith while trying not to be Anakin - but somewhere along the way just became a poor clone of Vader. Who was undermined by a Mandalorian in the penultimate book (though I kinda liked the idea of Jaina learning from them so she had a fighting style that could offset her twin). Then Invincible came along and felt like an attempt to get LotF out of the way and move on with the next big series ASAP with little things like the Jedi Council deciding off-screen that Caedus should die.

son_of_skywalker03 and Zeta1127 like this.
  8. DoubleGold

DoubleGold Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2013
    Some of us Star Wars Fans want to pretend like FOTJ and LOTF doesn't exist, because of everyone dying and depression, we all want to say that NJO is the true ending.
    Heck, if I was an author myself, I'd write a split timeline that branches off from post NJO. Anyone who is a Zelda fan who played Ocarina of Time, knows what I mean by split timeline. Well, if I could, I'd make one for Star Wars, one where Mara Jade isn't dead, where one of Han's children didn't turn to the dark side, etc.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  9. son_of_skywalker03

son_of_skywalker03 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    That's why the next sentence mentioned the "truckload of problems". That is what makes it a bad series.

10. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    I thought you haven't read any of em.

11. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012

12. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    I didn't read any of them, but all the fans here keep saying that they bring nothing but death and depression. Not in just this thread, but throughout. I only know Mara Jade dies and that one of Han's children turns to the dark side because I was told. I have read other books though that have Mara Jade and all 3 of Han's children in them, so I do have a general understanding of who those characters are. For instance, allegiance had Mara and Crystal Star which I also read had Han's 3 children.

13. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    So what have you read besides Allegiance and The Crystal Star?

14. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    What? He was asking which ones to read starting with NJO and now "we like to pretend they dont exist". I would read them and make your own judgement on them.

15. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    Those were the reasons why I refuse to read anything after the NJO.

16. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    Not very many that have those characters in them, but all together I also read:
    Old Republic: Fatal Alliance, the only one that I could borrow from the library and I hope to read the other 3.
    Shadows of the Empire: Liked it.
    Truce at Bakura: Horrible, but to be honest I had a hard time understanding what went on in that one.
    Outbound Flight: Thrawn is incredibly insane going up against armies of ships, surprised he didn't get himself killed. I hard a hard time understanding the ending though? Did outbound flight land on another planet after the majority of the passengers died inside, and who was on it when it left? And where the people really held prisoner by the Chiss or were they just telling the aliens that as part of a trick/lie?
    4 of the 6 Jedi Prince Series if you count those and I will finish up the other 2 soon.

17. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Ok, But im talking about Doublegold, who hasnt, He shouldnt read them because you have a problem with them? Thats like saying "dont watch the movies because i didnt like haydens acting"

18. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
    DoubleGold, with that in mind, I would highly recommend the X-Wing series, the Thrawn Trilogy, the Hand of Thrawn Duology, and Survivor's Quest, among other things, before even worrying about the NJO.
    Its a moot point, because he hasn't even read any of the stuff that caused people to react like I did when they heard about what supposedly happens in the post-NJO

19. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Hey Doublegold, are you only getting books from the libary? You can probably find PDFs online if you want to read more, thats what i did when i was younger and unable to get books.

20. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Zeta1127
    I'd add in the YJK series just for some type of reference on Jacen, Jaina, and everyone in their little click. I'm tempted to throw in The Jedi Academy Trilogy as well to get something on Kyp and Cilghal.

21. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    DoubleGold

Survivor's Quest is the companion novel to Outbound Flight that you might find interesting.

22. Zeta1127

Sep 2, 2012
  23. DoubleGold

Nov 3, 2013
    What I can't find from the library, I buy cheaply from Amazon, 1 penny used and in good condition plus 3.99 shipping equals 4 bucks. Some books 5 or 6 bucks including the shipping.
    Or if I want to skip reading and feel like paying extra money 15-25 bucks including the shipping for most good condition used or new audio books.

24. Odolwa

Nov 12, 2013
    Oh, thats not bad

25. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    I have finished reading the NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ.
    I will say that I do understand people being angry at the endings of both of the later series. They seemed rushed and didn't do the multiple story lines justice. I really wanted to see Ben and Vestara resolve their issues and the the way the republic turned on the Jedi was BS in my opinion.
    That being said I am still glad I read them because I love the Star Wars world. Even though I am not happy with it, it is better than no Star Wars IMHO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.