main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official Star Wars Rebels Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by KED12345, Apr 4, 2013.

1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Is there some reason Palpatine is supposed to be above being compared to Hitler?

I've assumed a comparison to Nazi Germany since I was old enough to know anything about Nazi Germany.

2. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    From ANH

I think Tarkin would have to be an idiot to not know that Vader is Anakin, especially now that they've established that Tarkin was active during TCW and worked with Anakin. Vader openly refers to Obi-Wan as his old master and Tarkin seems to know that Vader is/was a Jedi (I don't know if as far as everyone else is concerned, if they know that Vader is a Sith and not a Jedi).

IMO that expands the big hole that I already question whether or not will be answered.

Mainly that when you establish that the Galaxy was once ruled by a bunch of Darth Somethings, how is the matter dealt with that Palpatine appoints a Darth Something as a leader in the military. Again, he can't really use terror yet to coerce the galaxy into having to deal with it. He's still dependent on the senate. Do they not remember this guy named Darth Maul? I could see the Senate having no knowledge of Maul if TCW had NOT re-introduced him and made him so prominent.

The enemies of the Republic, both historically and in recent history have been Sith carrying the name Darth. And the Jedi were the ones that protected the Republic from them historically. When Palpatine wipes out the Sith and appoints DARTH Vader as his right hand, I would think that unless the Galaxy is filled with idiots, that the **** would hit the fan. But it doesn't seem like it ever did, and I feel like that's an elephant that should be addressed.

A Republic hero becoming a Darth might soften the ordeal a bit, but Palpatine executing the Jedi and then appointing a Sith carrying a Darth title which should be known to anyone who knows the tiniest ounce of galactic military history (since the Sith were apparently involved in the last "full scale war")... How is that not an issue?

V-2 likes this.
  3. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    There was a history channel special that laid out the comparisons between Palpatine's actions those of Hitler rather well. I believe it was included as a featurette on one or more of the DVD releases of the OT or PT (can't remember which but I'm sure it was included).

4. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    That's right! I'd forgotten that! Okay, so Tarkin knew, but we know whose side he's on. He obviously wouldn't let the cat out of the bag. Who else might we be forgetting? Yularen? Yeah probably.

5. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    That's right anakinfan I believe there was intended to be a direct connection between the Empire and Nazi Germany. I believe the Nazis even had soldiers that they named stormtroopers.

6. darkchrono

May 23, 2005
    by the way is anybody having trouble quoting posts? I tried to quote anakinfan's post about stormtroopers and it just sent me directly to the reply box without the quote showing up.

7. Jedi Jaunter

Jedi Jaunter Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2013
    Nope, but he might be worse.

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    darkchrono : What browser are you using?

Jedi Jaunter : I don't know that it's worth comparing "who is worse" among two genocidal dictatorial leaders. Their ascension to power and leadership styles are the only factors worth comparing.

9. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    When the Reishtag caught fire, Hitler blamed the communists and used the incident to get laws passed that gave absolute power to the Chancellor, and he was Chancellor. However, historians speculate that it was in fact Hitler himself who was behind the Reishtag fire.

10. darkchrono

May 23, 2005

Oh it was just my browser. I pulled this site up on google chrome and the quoting worked just fine. Guess it is time to upgrade IE.

11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    There was an issue with Firefox awhile back and it had to do with the upgrade--users weren't able to edit.

I'm guessing from that that you'll be OK when you upgrade IE but Chrome is a better browser anyway. :p

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  12. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

That is correct.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormtroopers

13. Darth Kickass

Aug 3, 2013
    It's been pretty well documented that GL took inspiration from how Hitler came to power in Germany when he was writing the basic premise for Palpatine's rise to power. I know some people didn't like the politically themed episodes from TCW but I found some of them to be quite interesting when considering the historical parallels. In particular the episode where Grievous attacks the Coruscant power grid in order to derail the peace process between the Republic and the CIS. I know, I know, wrong thread for such discussion, just wondering if we'll see any other parallels between The Rebellion and any other historic rebellions.

14. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    One thing I don't understand about that episode is that I that I would think Palpatine would want to increase regulation of the banks, not decrease it.

15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    There's a lot of connections between the Empire and various historical events/groups - whether they be intentional or unintentional.

Some like the use of the name "stormtrooper" are more overt.

But I think that the Death Star as a WMD used to shock the population into surrender was meant to parallel the use of nuclear weapons.

Then you have a bunch of American accented heroes (excluding Obi-Wan) fighting a bunch of Brits, which I'm guessing might have been meant to appeal to American pride on a subconscious level (e.g. American Revolutionary War), or with how expansive the British Empire was and how much of a bad reputation Imperialism has in hindsight, turning Brits into villains could have been a historical commentary in that sense, and with the British Empire having expanded into virtually every corner of the globe, they may have been villains that an international audience could better recognize based on a historical context.

Personally I don't see a whole lot of Julius Caesar in Palpatine, though I know he's been cited as also being drawn upon for inspiration for Palpatine's character. Other than being leader of the senate (as Caesar was a Consul of Rome) I don't see much similarity beyond that. Granted, most of what I know of Caesar comes from what I remember from a High School world history course and based on how the character is represented in HBO's Rome.

Honestly, had they actually drawn more inspiration from Caesar for the Palpatine character and made him a more active character in the events of the Clone Wars, I think the character would have been much better -- and I say that even though he's already my favorite character.

16. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

You know the massive casting call they just had in Bristol? I hope they all like playing officers...[face_devil]

17. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Well we know Endor was loosely based on Vietnam. Also in case you didn't notice the accents of the bad guys in RTJ turned American in case you didn't notice.

18. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    The stormtroopers were always American. The senior naval officers were always British. Junior naval ratings were mostly American ("There goes another one!" "Hold your fire, there's no life forms, it short circuited." "Sir! We've just lost our bridge deflector shield!")

In RoTJ, Jerjerrod was British IIRC.

Hmm... the guy who told Piett that the fleet was in attack position was American I think... and in order to answer him the way he did ("We're not going to attack?!?!?") he must have been pretty high up... maybe the Executor's captain, considering Piett was an admiral... but hey he's the exception.

19. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    If Sidious wanted Vader to be a secret assassin type, it seems a little too late for that considering Vader's suit is very conspicuous and loud. It's also very scary looking, so I don't think Sidious designed it to promote Vader as sympathetic or friendliest of cyborgs.

In my opinion, the senate was corrupt and in Palpatine's pocket from the get-go, and the Death Star project already had started construction since the beginning of the Empire as well. This is why the rebels in the senate were NEVER a consideration. Tarkin calls the senate the "last remnants of the Old Republic" and Vader completely ignores that commander's concerns. To me, those quotes you posted support my position.

As for covering up the Jawa murders, I have no idea why the stormtroopers did that. It's not like anyone would believe a moisture farmer and crazy old man anyway. As for there being no draft, there were also NO Alien or Women Imperial Officers.

20. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Rebellion-era Coruscant (or should I say Had Abbadon?) is in dire need of development.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    So what do people want to see in Rebels?

22. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    People rebelling.

23. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Actually, I would love to see a Star Wars show like this:

Except, actually canon, made by LFL.

That show wouldn't be Rebels, however, from what I gather of the thrust the show is taking.

(Yes, that is Peter "Optimus Prime" Cullen narrating.)

V-2 and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  24. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I wonder whether or not Palpatine is still seen as a weak old man and if he's become a detached recluse.

25. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'll say this: When it comes to the Empire, one of the things I want to see is the production team behind Rebels expending as much consideration and discussion, to say nothing of literal screen time, as we the fans have - even just in this thread.

I want the show to make a concerted, pointed effort of giving us a recurring, multi-faceted, dynamic look at the Empire, from Palpatine, Vader and the elite 501st, all the way down to the junior officer aboard a vessel, pilot in a TIE fighter, or grunt in the trenches. I want to see the faces of the military. The good and the bad. The manipulative and the idealistic.

The last thing I want is for the Empire to be depicted as one-dimensional, Saturday morning cartoon villains. For example, while a character like The Inquisitor plays a necessary role, both in-universe and out (and I've been on record since the announcement of the series as looking forward to the Inquisitorius), I really hope we can expect more of the Empire than likes of that alone.

And when it comes to the galactic populace, I want to see not only the people who become the rebels, but also they who support the Empire. And I want to see why they feel the Empire is worthy of their loyalty and support. I want to see a reasonable, larger view of the political climate. And I know for a fact that I'm not alone in feeling this way.