main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Star Wars Re-releases???

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Echo-07, Nov 14, 2013.

?

Will Disney re-release the first 6 films before December 18th, 2015???

1. Hell Yeah!

23 vote(s)
    42.6%
  2. Hell No!

31 vote(s)
    57.4%
  1. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    A friend of mine and I were discussing this last night at work.

We speculated that it would be cool if Disney re-released all 6 Episodes leading up to December 18th, 2015.

Does anyone else think they will do this?

I think it would be the greatest form of marketing as it would surely get the general audience on board for the new ST as well as generate a ton of cash.

2. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    I was thinking how awesome it would be to do a Star Wars Marathon leading up to the new movie in the theaters. They've done it with other movie series as of late. It might neat if they did it with Star Wars.

3. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I would so LOVE that!!!

I hope the peeps at LFL/Disney are spying here and read this.

4. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given Lucasfilm axed the planned 3D re-releases I would think the answer is no

5. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah but if it was just like for a couple days to lead up to a new movie. Plus a lot of theaters do this now to help with line control, especially in the winter months.

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I immediately thought of the 3D re-releases upon reading the title here... Hmm... perhaps the plan is to RErerelease TPM, then the next 5 films subsequently, perhaps each lasting a week or two in the box office then finally leading up to the opening week of VII

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Echo-07 like this.
  7. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I went to a Star Wars marathon in London the day of the ROTS premiere in 2005, it was a beautiful thing.

But that had significance in that we were supposedly seeing the final movie at the end, so the whole Saga was right there. Episode IX would therefore be the best time to do a whole run of all the movies.

Plus a re-release for ANH in 2017 given it will be 40

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  8. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    They would need to coordinate any re-release with Fox first. So no, I don't expect it to happen.

Yancy

9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    I do hope when they re-release them, they'll use the true and proper versions... (2011 edits)

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    That is correct, unless they buy the distribution rights from Fox, which isn't likely to happen, since it will be theirs in 2020 or some year like that and would be a waste of money. The only exception is ANH, which Fox has permenantly. They may purchase those rights from Fox.

Having said that, if Fox stands to make a lot from a rerelease, I don't see why they wouldn't be game. One idea might be to rerelease all 6 at once and sell discount marathon tickets.

11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    You can still buy them in the stores right now. So I don't really care either way.

12. SkywalkerSquadron

SkywalkerSquadron Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2013
    That might be nice. It would definitely raise publicity for VII. I would like to see the Blu-ray versions and features on DVD.

Echo-07 likes this.
  13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Yeah I voted no. As others have said, Disney won't re-release them because they don't own them yet. And as has also been pointed out, Fox is unlikely to do another wide release unless it's the 3D versions, which aren't happening now. By the way, does anyone know if those are temporarily shelved or cancelled altogether? It seems a shame only have one of the movies converted, and who knows how much work has already been done on Episode II, not to mention the others.

LunarMoth and eht13 like this.
  14. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    If there is money to be made, Fox and Disney will certainly consider taking advantage. Fox, so they can make money off the films while they can and Disney to recoup the $4 billion they paid to Lucas.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Echo-07 like this.
  15. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I doubt there's enough money to be made from yet another 2D release in this climate to justify that, especially with them being readily available on Blu-ray and DVD.

TheManFromMortis and Gallandro like this.
  16. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Yeah, it's not 1997, and all 6 movies are available in high quality home video. Now I can see Fox doing another repackaging of the movies in time for the ST.

Yancy

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  17. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I'm sorry but there is still a HUGE difference between watching them at home and seeing them on the big screening surrounded by fellow fans. There's no way a rerelease wouldn't make tons of money, especially from hardcore marathoners if they released all 6 at once with special marathon package deals.

18. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I'm not saying there isn't a difference. I'm saying the reality is that they won't make enough money to justify rolling them out in another wide release, and definitely not all at once. There are certain economic realities to consider, and that just isn't a sound strategy in today's marketplace, regardless of how many hardcore fans would love it. The sad fact is that you just aren't going to get enough of a reaction from the public at large to allow for something like that to happen now.

19. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    As hard as it might seem to imagine but a re-release of all six in 2014 or 2015 or whatever could cause Star Wars fatigue among non hardcore audiences. Something to consider. Saturation is the name of the game for large profit making enterprises like Disney so it might end up happening.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  20. Thegoat

Thegoat Jedi Master star 1

Jul 28, 2004
    Disney stopped the 3D rereleases of their own animated titles because, apart from the Lion King, they haven't pulled in a lot of money. The chances of them rereleasing Star Wars are slim if they've become disillusioned with the rerelease strategy. Shame, there was an incredible turn out for TPM in my small town theater. Jam packed, people dressing up and cheering for the rerelease of a 13 year old, supposedly unpopular film. It was a terrific experience, and I was really looking forward to the rest.

A marathon day is more likely, but they'll probably have to split it up or nix the PT altogether. We're talking about seven 2+ hour movies. That's gonna be one stiff butt. Throw in breaks between films for meals, stretching, and bathroom breaks, the fact that you don't have your own couch and fridge, and it's a feat for even a diehard fan. An original trilogy marathon, leading up to the midnight release, is where I'd put my money. But again, there's the Fox complication, so it's anyone's guess.

Gallandro likes this.
  21. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Re-issues just don't do big business right now. Sure there's a small percentage of fans that want to have that communal experience, but Disney's experience over the past 5 years with reissues with some of their modern classics will certainly give them pause before proceeding with working a deal with Fox to release the Saga to theaters.

Lion King (2011) $94 million
    Beauty and the Beast (2012) $47 million
    Finding Nemo (2012) $41 million
    Monsters Inc (2012) $34 million

The declining numbers eventually resulted in Disney canceling the reissue of The Little Mermaid... the film that put modern Disney animation back on the map. Paramount barely recouped their expenses with the 3D rerelease of Titanic. The climate's just not there.

Yancy

Artoo-Dion and Mystery_Roach like this.
  22. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I saw Ep2 3D at Celebration and it was a thing of beauty. How lovely it would be to have the cinematic experienceo f seeing all 6 film together in cinema!

23. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Not in theatre's Jesus NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............

24. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    Even if they did, I doubt I would see them. Movie theaters did stuff like that for the Avengers but I didn't go because that was way too many films to watch in one sitting. I'll just watch the Blu-Rays in 1-6 order in the days leading up to EVII.

25. PrincessKenobi

Aug 12, 2000
    My thinking is if they somehow pull it off, I'd buy a ticket and then go and take my seat in the theater whenever I got there.

You received this Ninja message from Tapatalk