main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Official "The Clone Wars" Series Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by RevantheJediMaster, Jul 15, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

Those two are excellent episodes.

"Rookies" had the perfect story with focus only on the clones. I liked how they handled it in "Rookies", more than in an arc like Umbara. That is just me.

"Trespass" is one of the best-looking episodes of Seasons One and Two. The landscape was amazing and the falling snow was spectacular!
    All the characters in the episodes were written perfectly. Anakin and Obi-Wan joking with each other was the best part.

Too "Star Trek" for me?! How?

Was it cause of the peaceful resolution?!

2. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    No. That's not at all what my argument is like and you know it. Try again.

3. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Leia remembering her mother and the way she described her... maybe it was someone other than her actual mother. If this person was in Leia's life when Leia was about maybe 3 or 4 years old, memories are likely to be vague, and it's even possible that some other person who was just frequently around the Organas, she might have mistaken in memory for her actual mother.

Course that begs the question why would the Organas keep up the ruse as Leia got older.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I think the conversation was always intended to be about their biological mother. I really like TaradosGon 's idea of Anakin turning to save Padme from a terminal illness but the illness didn't kill her until after ROTS. That would have been monumentally better than what we got.

5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He was good enough to not get blown up.
    All he did was spin, go left and ended up in the right place at the right time.

6. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Spinning is a good trick.

TaradosGon likes this.
  7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Maybe so but that whole scene was pathetic compared to Luke at Yavin.

8. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Speaking of which, he ended up spinning at Yavin, too, courtesy of Han Solo.

9. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    And the big round evil deathship blew up that time, too!

10. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    Vader going round and round and round...

11. Darth Kickass

Darth Kickass Jedi Master star 3

Aug 3, 2013
    Okay, let me ask you this: What DO you give Lucas credit for? Just ANH? It's been said before that Vader was not "originally" intended to be Luke's father, yet he was revealed to be in ESB. Is that an example of him screwing up the story? Han being frozen in carbonite was not part of the "original" story, as that was written in because of doubts about Harrison Ford returning for ROTJ, is that another example? The Ewoks were written into ROTJ to put more children's butts in the seats and expand the fan base, is this screwing up the story? My point is, regardless of what Lucas "originally" intended, circumstance led to the story being what it is, so further changes down the road should be viewed with these things in mind. I grew up on the OT, I can understand the vitriolic reaction to the changes to some extent, but I can also understand that there is usually some reason why they occurred. The SE's were released to make the saga as a whole seem more seamless, so those who grew up on the PT wouldn't watch them and think they were archaic from as special effects standpoint, and the PT crowd are the ones now in the much sought after 18-34 demographic. This is a fact us older fans had better get used to, especially with the ST being released.

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not going to speak for Heero_Yuy , I'll only tell you how it looks from my end.

Lucas should have made a decision prior to ANH about Vader being Luke's father. As it was, the retcon made Obi-Wan look like a lying schmuck. And I like the idea of Vader being Luke's father.

Han being frozen in carbonite--that could have always gone either way, and it makes sense when a director doesn't know if an actor is planning to return.

Ewoks--I like them, but I don't like retcons for the sole purpose of appealing to a certain segment of the fan base. I think that was done with ROTS as well, I think Lucas had Anakin kill the younglings and choke Padme based on complaints that he "wasn't evil enough" in the first two prequels, and that movie was horrible.

Tweaks in a story are fine, but the overall story needs to be consistent.

13. Sable_Hart

Sable_Hart Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2009
    My personal position on Lucas is that he's a visionary; has a true gift with broad concepts and ideas, but needs support staff to tighten and tweak. He had that in the OT; the PT, on the other hand...

darth fluffy likes this.
  14. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    My opinion is bad changes are just bad changes.

15. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I already said what I give Lucas credit for. I give him credit for coming up with the story and directing a damn good movie in 1977. However, it's the collaboration with the people around him that made Star Wars the great masterpiece it is. Lucas works best as a collaborator instead of an auteur.

16. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    Watching the show on Blu-ray and I can't believe I've forgotten how great the Umbaran arc is.

Darth Kickass likes this.
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Umbara was OK, I didn't love it but didn't hate it either.

The boards are so dead right now, I'm considering watching the rest of season 5 and upping the Discussion of Old TCW Episodes thread.

...except The Wrong Jedi, I'll never watch that again, not even if I were offered money.

I'd rewatch the droid arc for the LOLz though.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  18. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    ..."OK"?

Heretic!

19. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Outta curiosity, AF, what's worse for you- The Wrong Jedi, or the second half of ROTS?

I know, I'm evil. [face_devil]

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Sable_Hart : LOL. I did like that it showed the Separatists as a real threat, which hadn't happened since Landing at Point Rain. And Krell was a very well done character.

So maybe "pretty good" would have been a more accurate assessment. :p

Todd, tough call, but at this point I'd watch the last half of ROTS if given that choice.

Sable_Hart likes this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Krell was my hero, everything I wish I could be. I could fly higher than an eagle from Lord of the Rings, cuz Krell was the wind beneath my wings.

The Umbarans looked cool and the crazy insectoid tech was awesome.

I appreciate the Umbara arc for introducing Krell. Darkness on Umbara was awesome and The General was good too, even if a little repetitive.

But Plan of Dissent was terrible, just terrible. Terrible from beginning to end. The horrible ANH rip, the painfully awkward laughing, the jaunty excuse for a space battle...just bad. It's like a cheesy 80s resort vacation movie, or American Pie, like Clones Day Out or something. That's what the episode should be called, Clones Day Out. It comes off as especially out of place after the horrors of war from the first two episodes.

Carnage of Krell is just too stupid. Amusing at times, but mostly just stupid. What a terrible ending.

22. Sable_Hart

Nov 28, 2009
    That space battle was gorgeous. What is wrong with you?

23. Darth Desolous

Darth Desolous Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    The Umbara arc was a good idea gone bad (just like the Onderon arc). The opening episode was exceptional, probably for me one of TCW's best. But after that the plot got worse. It just seemed, like already mentioned, too repetitive with basically the same type of scenes, and how the heck could THREE clones pull off an attack on the supply ship and not get caught by Krell or killed in battle?!? So, instead of focusing so much on the clones, why couldn't we see more of the battle against the Umbarans or Saeese Tiin's perspective of it? This arc could have finally shown him in battle instead of always seeing him on his Jedi Council seat.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I looked back at my Umbara reviews and I actually rated all the episodes pretty well.

Onderon, on the other hand...

The Shadow Emperor likes this.
  25. DeviantSpirit

DeviantSpirit Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    Hm, I think Umbara is one of the benchmark arcs of the series. The scene when Rex realizes that the 'enemy' were actually clones is, in my opinion, still the most disturbing and emotional moment of all five seasons.