main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Got a question? Ask it here!

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarthBoba, Oct 23, 2012.

1. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    Why didn't Vader choke Piett when the Falcon escaped?

2. bluuu

bluuu Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2013
    Yeah. I had the impression it left room open for a sequel, but if the sequel never happened, then viewers would still have a complete story they could interpret as being the end of the Empire.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Probably realized that Luke and the rest did something to turn the hyperdrive on and was probably too out of it because Luke escaped.

bluuu likes this.
  4. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    Yes I suppose that 'striking back' does not necessarily imply victory as it only entails, well, striking back. For example somebody could hit and injure me and I could respond by striking them which might not injure them at all. In reality, I think both sides struggle in TESB. We all know about how the rebels struggle but just look at the Empire's frustration in navigating the asteroid field (which resulted in the loss of a star destroyer I think, if you remember the scene where one of Vader's generals disappears from the hologram), not to mention the fact that Vader is himself continuously aggravated, resulting in him singlehandedly executing some of his most prominent generals. Then Vader fails to capture Luke.

5. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Right, but with all the talk of the Empire putting all its eggs into one basket with the dissolution of the Senate and relying on the DS to maintain control, the end of SW/ANH could be taken as the definitive end of the Empire. Vader was a bit of a different matter back then anyway, being a Sith mercenary, rather than an integral part of the Imperial hierarchy.
    Loose end though his escape was - deliberately so, as GL himself has pointed out - it doesn't detract from the Alliance's victory.

6. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    When Han jumps in to the trash bin on the Death Star he fires his gun. He jumps it less than 30seconds after Luke. Yet when Han tries to shoot the door Luke yells that he already tried that. How did he have the time to do that

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    I read years ago in Starlog that during the Jedi Vader/Luke fight you can hear Obi-wan say "use the force luke" but its some how hidden within the music score. I never heard it, have you?

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Battle of Yavin.

9. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    lol

no the battle of yavin takes place in A New Hope. This was asked about the Vader/Luke fight in Jedi. I will have to dig out my old Starlog, its the 10 annv issue of star wars one.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The only time I've heard the quote is in the Battle of Yavin. In the trench when Luke is about to use the targeting computer.

11. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001
    yea i think we all hear that its pretty clear. I think its more hidden, if its there, like how you can hear Greedo's dialog from ANH in the Jabba palace during jedi.

12. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    I have a new question (unrelated to the above): How did Luke manage to find Yoda on Dagobah. Obi-Wan's information is too vague - 'You will go to the Dagobah system' - for Luke to know just which part of Dagobah to go to. Obviously Obi-Wan did not offer him precise coordinates, so what am I missing here? It seems incredulous to suggest that Luke by chance happened to crash-land in Yoda's territory when the planet (any planet, that is) is just too vast for chance-meetings. Can it be explained by the will of the force, or was Luke given detailed information that I simply do not know about?
    Any feedback on this puzzle (for me at least) would be much appreciated.

13. Michael McKean

Jun 5, 2013
    I cannot recall exactly who jumps at what time but if what you say is true then I see no problem because if I remember correctly, the ricocheting of the laser did not last more than ten seconds.

14. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001

Han goes in the shoot about 5-10 (10 is pushing it) seconds after Luke. So that means in that 5-10seconds Luke hands, get to his feet, shoots at the door, the lasers fly around, he puts up his gun, then Han lands in the garbage.

15. WhiskeyGold

Nov 13, 2001

First off, I think Luke crashed landed and before you could set out the find Yoda, Yoda finds him.

Also this seems to be a problem with 99% of all sci-fi movies. They will land on a planet and happen to be in the area they need to be.

Yoda did know Luke was coming so maybe Yoda used the force to bring down the Xwing

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Merging thread about Luke firing in the trash with the stickied question thread

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In The Thrawn Trilogy, Luke speculates that Yoda may have arranged for him to crash- causing his scopes to go dead at the right moment. And notes that he had no such problems on subsequent trips to Dagobah after the ESB one.

Still speculation- but an interesting possibility.

18. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I believe that in one of the commentary tracks either Lucas or Kershner jokes that Vader is too mad to kill anyone.

19. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    In all seriousness, I actually always interpreted it as something like that - Vader is too wrapped up in his own issues right then to muster the energy to do anything about Piett.

timmoishere and Force Smuggler like this.
  20. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    "Screw you guys, I'm going home."

21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    A lot of people talk about there being a retcon between the Empire implicitly existing for a long time prior to the events of ANH in the OT, and the PT portraying its birth as only two decades earlier, as supposedly seen, for instance, with Han's skepticism about the Force. But the contradiction was already there in the OT - Luke's father being a Jedi, especially after the introduction of the Anakin = Vader plot point, would seem to indicate the Republic would have to have fallen after or close to his birth. Does anyone know what exactly was going on with this? I know there's been explanations offered for the Han thing specifically, but it's not the only example.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think the idea might have been that the purge of the Jedi, where "Vader helped the Empire hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights" took place a few years after Palpatine assumed the title of Emperor.

Emperor Ferus likes this.
  23. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    As far as Piett goes, perhaps Vader isn't as unforgiving as we're led to believe?

He tells Jerjerrod (sp?) that Palpatine is less forgiving and really doesn't punish Jerjerrod for coming up with excuses or complaining.

Motti gets choked more to make a point IMO, I don't think Vader really had the intention of killing him.

In the case of Ozzel, Vader seems to already regard him as clumsy and stupid, and tells him that he's failed for the last time (implying that other screw ups have occurred off camera prior to Vader finally resorting to killing Ozzel).

I don't know enough about Needa to know if he had habitually screwed up before losing the Falcon or not.

But Piett is definitely shown a degree of tolerance. Perhaps he had proved himself competent enough in the past that Vader was willing to let one failure slide (especially coming right off revealing to Luke that he was Vader' son, Vader's mind was probably occupied with other things). IMO, Piett looks fairly uneasy after the Falcon escapes like he is expecting to be punished.

24. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    On the Han Solo thing, I imagine the empire has all sorts of progaganda about the jedi being decievers, and in a galaxy as large as the GFFA even after the clone wars most have not seen jedi. And seeing as in EU Han was an imperial officer momentarily (before going rogue to save Chewie from slavery), it's likely Han was raised with that propaganda.

25. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    How was the reputation of Jedi held after the rise of the Empire? In Revenge of the Sith, we've been lead to believe that Palpatine tries to convince the people that the Jedi were traitors and villains. So did people just immediately agree with him, or were they too scared to speak up? I mean, the Empire already showed they had the might to wipe out all (but a few) Jedi.

Despite the backlash, Luke still views them in a high regard. I guess during the Clone Wars, they were undisputedly viewed as heroes of the Republic. Even more interesting, it seems like a bunch of people (including the Rebels) didn't buy into it, like when Dodonna says "may the Force be with us." So how exactly did the average citizen feel about the Jedi in the days of the Empire?