main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters The Skywalker-Jade Revival Society Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luke_Mara_Index, Dec 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I like gift exchanges.

2. madman007

madman007 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I'm not sure if this can be considered a holiday fic. Perhaps it's a challenge, but I have a plot bunny that's starting to run around in my head.

We all know whose Luke's mentor was. But who was Mara's mentor while growing up? The automatic answer may be Palpatine, but can anyone see him as her mentor? He was in charge of her training but was he physically involved, like Yoda was with Luke? With his fraility I don't see it. Mabye he had one of the 501st train her. In one of my fics I have Mara mention that she made her first kill at age 12. I don't have the time to look through fics, but I can imagine there are a few that portray Mara at this age. Would she have the same self-confidence then as she does later? What if someone else had been her "mentor" or at least someone who she learned from.

It's still in the planning stage so any thoughts would be helpful.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Madman: that's a great bunny. I'm sure there are fics where Mara has a mentor other than Palps, but none come to mind.

JL: I'm pretty sure there will be a fic gift exchange for everyone, but I don't want to organize a second to take away participants from the original.

Ginchy, I knew you'd be on board :p

I know people are swamped with Nano, but I was thinking I could post the challenge (very basic, here's a situation and here are three things you have to include) this weekend to give people ample time to write (I know not EVERYONE is doing Nano). But in December we could do like an advent/12 days of LM thing. Basically, if you don't mind me being Christian-centric, people would sign up for dates to post leading up to Christmas Eve. And if you don't post on your day, no one will roast you over a flame.

4. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    I'd love to! Gotta get me writing again!

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Count me in for anything and all that can or might contain mushy L/M. [face_dancing] Woot!

VanishingReality likes this.
  6. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    Ok. I'll gift exchange.
    I have "conversate" on a poster I put on my classroom wall under the heading of "These Are Not Real Words. (Don't Use Them)." It's up there with irregardless and supposively.

7. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL Conversate is one of those non-words that sound like words. ;)

8. Katana_Sundancer

Katana_Sundancer Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2009
    Like 'relevate' and... what's that other thing my bf says? He comes out with all sorts of non-words.

9. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I think that would be cool, like a fic of her reflecting on who her mentor is, and going through her relationships with people like Vader and Palpatine, maybe 501st, I'd say her biggest mentor that shaped her life would be Talon Karrde.

10. Luke_Mara_Index

Luke_Mara_Index Jedi Master star 1

May 23, 2004
    Just a note before I get to the challenge, I'm not sure if I was unclear, but I said I WASN'T doing a L/M specific fic-gift exchange. I'm not sure if I gave the intention that I was to anyone.

Hello all! It's almost that time again... when the hecticness of Nanowrimo and school papers and exams finish for the year and everything seems to calm (until you remember you still have gifts to get people and family dinners to attend). Yes, the holidays are fast approaching, whether you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah (ok Hanukkah starts in November this year), Kwanzza, Festivus, the winter solstice, the New Year, Life Day or Fete Week. We all may celebrate different holidays, but we can all agree, nothing makes this time of year better than some good Luke and Mara fics.

The Challenge details: Write a fic where Luke and Mara are celebrating the holidays. It can be in any time frame, AU or canon and any length. You must include:

- Horrible weather
    - The phrase "Do you remember when..."
    - A holiday tradition/event that is unique to YOUR family
    - A reference to something that has happened to YOU this past year (so if you celebrated your 10th wedding anniversary, have Luke or Mara mention their 10th wedding anniversary)

I don't normally have due dates, but I think in this case, it might help those who might procrastinate get it done (plus we don't want any of these too early), so you must post your story between December 16-24.

Let me know if you have any questions.

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I agree; Talon is probably her most positive and proud-to-claim mentor :cool:

VanishingReality likes this.
  12. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

And orientate.

13. madman007

Aug 22, 2007

Oh, I agree that Karrde was a mentor for Mara. But later in her life after the death of Palpatine. What I intend to explore is a possible mentor or source of inspiration at a much younger age. Before her teen years, Mara may have still been impressionable even while being trained by members of the 501st and the Royal guard. What if there was someone she met then who made an impression on her? Whether Mara remembered that impression later in life is my question.

14. Tarsier

Tarsier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2005
    I've read a few fics with a young Mara and although they are very well done, it's still just strange to see young Mara. So much so that in my mind I tend to think Mara may have been artificially aged-up, like the clone troopers. But if she did have a mentor when she was young, I would tend to think it would be a private tutor, or maybe an officer, rather that a 501st or royal guard. YMMV, of course. I don't know why she wouldn't remember a mentor later, unless the Emperor brainwashed her or something, but there would need to be a reason why he would do that if he assigned the mentor to begin with.

Or her mentor could have been her parents - maybe she was raised by them until she was 8 or 10. In that case I would say the Emperor probably did mess with her memories.

15. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Yaaaaaaaaaaay a holiday fic challenge. [face_love] Can't wait!!!

16. EmeraldJediFire

EmeraldJediFire Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2012
    Officially psyched. I am SO in.

17. Stone Jade

Stone Jade Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 27, 2013
    I'm in (probably). Haven't had much time to write due to work recently, but I should be able to get something done in 2 weeks.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  18. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012

Yeah I haven't started either but I was thinking about it the other day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    I am looking for a regular beta reader to help me along with my L/M fanfics. I am trying to get back into writing and need someone to help me with the basics (grammar and punctuation) and to let me toss ideas at. All my stories are G rated.

20. madman007

Aug 22, 2007
    Don't know if I'm going to do this month's challenge, but I am working on my "young" Mara story. I've learned since I've been writing fan fic that it's best to "feed" one plot bunny at a time. Anyway, the story is evolving more away from a mentor for Mara into more of a first experience of Mara's. One that she may or may not have forgotten. And one that Palpatine did not want her to experience. Coming soon in a thread near you!

21. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    This is actually tickling my muse... can anyone play?

22. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    I might actually have something for this. As for whether or not I have the nerve to post it, well...we'll see how much ginchy can motivate me. :D

ginchy likes this.
  23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I'm working on mine, but it's kinda pointless fluffiness at this point.

24. EmeraldJediFire

Feb 23, 2012
    So I'm slowly working on my challenge..I'm not gone.

But I started to think about something that's related to L/M.

It's a book called Everlasting Love.. the characters remind me alot of Luke and Mara. Michael is farmer who is God-fearing and patient and kind. Angel is jaded woman who makes a living as a prostitute (yes one big difference but bear with me). The personalities are what I noticed the most. Michaels kindness and willingness to see the good in Angel and help her, Angels cynicism toward life and herself. Her hardened exterior which spurned all human emotions. Michael persistently tries to get Angel to see she is more than what she is and does deserve love and is capable of it herself. He believes in her when no one else does; when everyone doubts her. Even though she slowly begins to change as Michael chips away at her hardened exterior.

I reflected reading that recently that those two characters reminded me alot of our favorite Farmboy and ex-assassin

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Sounds kinda like the Love Comes Softly series by Janette Oke. The first book is actually called Love Comes Softly. Basically Marty and her husband travel out west (we are talking like pioneer days here) and her husband dies a tragic death. So this God-fearing farmer named Clark Davis comes to Marty and basically says, marry me, help me out for a year with my kid and I'll pay for your passage back east to your family. So she agrees and they fall in-love (duh). The characters of Clark and Marty are so similar to Luke and Mara, it's kinda funny. I highly recommend the series if you can find it (Canadian author, so it might not be in your library). The Hallmark channel made movies from the books and well, they are so cheesy, it gets unbearable (and to be fair, the books do have their fair share of cheese, but it's very bearable). The first movie is alright, but after the 2nd, it just all goes downhill. I've thought about turning the basic plot into a LM plot, but I could never make the situation believable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.