main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST The Orphan

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Immortiss, Nov 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Not bad ideas, but really, we've seen female heroes in SW for so long, from Leia, to Padme, any number of Jedi throughout the Clone Wars books, comics, etc., right on through to five years of Ahsoka Tano, while never once have we encountered a female antagonist who is anything more than an underling (Asajj Ventress in TCW is, I think, a well-realized example).

Frankly, thanks to being so burned-out on Tano, I'm ready to leave the currently very popular female hero behind for a hot minute, so there's also a bit of that. But as I alluded to prior, the heroes will be an ensemble - men, women, human, alien, regardless. But the villain, I think, is where it gets much more interesting. "Palpatina" should be our first example of a female villain who is completely in charge. A legitimate, dangerous threat to our new heroes, who answers to no one. Maybe I'm alone on this, but I think that would be far more intriguing.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Maybe Palpatine created Anakin so that he could possess his body because his was decaying but when Anakin's was nearly destroyed he needed to find another (Luke.) Now he created the orphan so that he could return and so the orphan is in a constant struggle to keep Palpatine from possessing her/him. Or if it's the villain maybe she realizes how evil and destructive Palpatine is so she's trying to destroy herself and all other Force sensitives (by a plague or something) so that Palpatine would have no one else to control. She's trying to do something good by destroying Palpatine but going about in a very bad way.

Dra--- likes this.
  3. Lord TW

Lord TW Jedi Master star 2

Dec 25, 2012
    @Chiznuk, are you okay? That post seems so unlike you.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Was it that bad? Oh well, I've been a bit tired today. :p

5. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    No offense meant, of course. The idea just seems to me to be a bit much for the average audience. Not that I have anything better to offer. :)

6. Jabari

Jabari Jedi Master star 1

Jun 25, 2007
    Who says only men can pass on family names in Star Wars? There are plenty of cultures on Earth (while not incredibly common in America, it does occur) that children take their mother's name. Sometimes even husbands who take their wife's name. It does happen.

Certainly it could happen with a famous name like Skywalker. Even if Luke's daughter tries to change her name, she'll probably always be known as one.

7. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    No offense taken. I'm not a big fan of Palpatine returning but I've been trying to imagine ways I could see it working for me. Just thinking out loud really. :)

8. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I thought it was an interesting post. The key idea is maybe she's a villain for a noble purpose.

Maybe this inherent nobility grows from her contact with Luke or his children (or Leia's!).

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  9. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    Yep, exactly. I like the idea of Sith possession and a villain who has this monster on their back and is in a constant battle against Palpatine for control of their own body interested me. After being cast down a reactor shaft, like Lucifer being cast out of Heaven, and thought to be destroyed, Palpatine (the Devil of the GFFA :p) returns more powerful than before but needs a body to have any physical influence on the galaxy. I just have this image of a Palpatine spirit whispering into the ear of the antagonist like the true corrupter he is.

Darth Archimage and Dra--- like this.
  10. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I've liked the idea of possession for a long time. And how truly evil to try to possess your own daughter?

Damn possessive fathers.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    So? You do know we have seen even more male leads, right? And aside from Kerra Holt and the Exile and so on there were few females given the position of main lead.

Yarr, maybe. But the reason given in the book was really "the force was angry at us Sith and thus it created the chosen one." That's not really creation by Plagueis if you ask me.

Btw., it is funny how someone who denies the force has a will basically admits it does in this sequence. Sith ... always clinging to the truths that suit them best.

Maybe she is at first a revenge-seeking girl obsessed about her father who later grows into a real adult villain with more independent goals and motivations, a true villain to fear? Her growth could mirror that of the protagonist.

12. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    Good point on the Force having some kind of will of its own, which basically personifies it. It's a complicated sequence of cause and effect, indeed. We could say both Plagueis and the Force were parents to Anakin. ;)

I suppose the Force has a will since that's what the movies suggest. Are you calling me Sithy, or just talking about the Sith? I do believe people have wills, but not that they are free in the absolute sense of free will. Will is driven by desire, not logic, although there is a complicated interplay between them that creates, imo, ranges of freedom. It's a complex process, which is why I hate that popular entertainment usually demands a simple view of freedom. Even human law admits people are sometimes not culpable for their actions; pop narrative should too (sometimes it does).

I like it. Our thoughts are very similar on her. :)

Except I may want her somewhat unbalanced at first due to the trauma inflicted by scientific experimentation, if that was part of her upbringing.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    No, wasn't talking about you. I just find it fascinating how some Sith (Plagueis, Vader even more so) seem to distort the truth into whatever they want to believe, depending on the Situation. Plagueis believes the force doesn't have a will - and then in his eyes it suddenly does, without him noticing it.

As long as she remains threatening, I'm 100% for it.

Dra--- likes this.
  14. Dra---

Dec 30, 2012
    I wonder how much of this is intentional, or just a lapse by the writers?

15. Lord TW

Dec 25, 2012
    Darth Chiznuk, Dra---, Darth_Pevra: I don't rule out anything, as I don't want to set any expectations that can lead to disappointment, but evil possession seems too much of a trope for Star Wars. Heck, I just saw it in "This is the End."

Darth Chiznuk and Dra--- like this.
  16. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Maybe something to do with the reason the Emperor did this:

[​IMG]

Dra--- and Force Smuggler like this.
  17. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    or maybe she's a shapeshipfter a la Zam and is a Sith pretending to be an orphaned force user to infiltrate Luke's Order

Dra--- likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Being exploded is usually insta-death. But what do I know?

Dra--- likes this.
  19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    people don't usually explode. But what do I know?

This explosion could be Palpatine "tranfering essence" for all we know

Dra--- likes this.
  20. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Could the Orphan be Leia?

I was watching the callback videos, and re reading the original seven casting call, and I think it fits, especially with Abrams hiistory

21. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I don't remember this transferring essence being in the movie, which means it would be a gigantic retcon.

I can only repeat myself that screwing around with main plotpoints and conflicts of the previous trilogies would be a horrific mistake. I can hardly think of anything worse than undoing the climax of the entire six movies saga.

22. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    :confused:Why would they be casting for Leia and why would she be considered an orphan? Her foster parents died when she was already an adult and now she's mostly likely a mother herself and respected galactic leader.

23. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    The descriptions could be metaphors, and ways to get certain emotions out of the actors, and who says the movie isn't close to Return of the Jedi, Leia could still be young. They wouldn't want the potentials to know they were reading for Leia, and Thomas is probably Luke.

24. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Yes, and, in other breaking news, I looked out my window and ascertained that the sky appears blue. :p

Look, I don't mean to be rude, but I'm not inclined to get in a big to-do about it, either (particularly days after I made my post). I don't see what is to be accomplished.

Everybody already knows that different cultures dictate different customs. It's not news and I don't require any reminders, thank you. Lot's of things happen. And people can always fall back on "the rules of the GFFA could be different," too - I mean, the next gen heroes could decide to take any conceivable name for any of a litany of reasons, but the films are being created by humans right here on earth, with a human audience in mind. That said, I would generally expect a situation where men keep their surnames, while married females are likely to take the family name of their husbands. Is it a hard and fast rule? No, of course not. But it's not an unfounded, or even unreasonable expectation, either. If someone were to ask, yes, without knowing anything about the story ahead of time, I would expect Leia's children to take the name Solo, and Luke's children to have the name Skywalker, and for their children to generally follow suit, as well.

Why do I say this? Not that everybody didn't already know, but it's because in the culture I was raised (Generic American), the men tend to carry the family name to the grave, where women often change theirs. Family names tend to be passed through the males. This is the tradition I am accustomed to, so this is what informs my expectations. But again, I don't really need to explain any of this, because everybody already knew what I meant, and why, in the full knowledge that it's not the only way things can happen.

The happy news is that, if you find my position disagreeable, you can at least take comfort in the knowledge that I'm not writing the script. :)

25. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013
    I'm not a fan of Palpatine returning in any form, but given how the movie is going to be based on Lucas's outline, I think the EU would indicate Palpatine isn't going to be the villain.

As far as I know, the one piece of that Lucas had any real, meaningful input into was the Zahn trilogy. If Lucas invisioned Palpatine returning I think it would have come up in the one follow to Return of the Jedi that was happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.