main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    The recomposited effects. That's literally all I allow.

2. SpecialOpsUnit

SpecialOpsUnit Jedi Master star 4

Sep 1, 2007
    I fine with most of the changes because they don't affect the story too much and the experience of the films are all pretty much the same.

But the ones that stick out are obviously Han/Greedo fiasco, it just looks so dumb now. They fixed it up a bit in the blu-ray additions so it isn't too bad but just having Han killing Greedo would of been fine.

The Noooo by Vader in ROTJ is cheesy and bad. I like the silent Vader, mulling over everything in his mind during the lighting scene, him just saying No and than picking up Palpatine is lame.

I always wondered why they added just one CGI space scene in ROTJ with Wedge's X-Wing before they go into the Death Star, might as well add a couple of other scenes while you're at it, like they did in ANH.

3. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2013
    I like the little additions of the Wampa and the bits with Naboo/Tattooine/and Coruscant at the end of Return of the Jedi.
    I would like the Jabba scene in A New Hope if they had built a physical prop and digitally placed it in the scene. I'm fine with a 30+ years younger Jabba being CGI, but I wish the added CGI Jabba in ANH could fit in with ROTJ a little better.

kainee likes this.
  4. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Huh?

5. MekaGojira3k

MekaGojira3k Jedi Knight

Aug 25, 2013
    Unless I misunderstood old information. The 97' release added new glimpses of the Wampa Ice Beast during the cave scene on Hoth in ESB.

6. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Ah, didn't know that.

7. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    More Wampa.... but no more Nien Nunb?! Outrage!!!

[​IMG]
    Eh gootah mootah mee ohtee ohtee?

8. TheYodaPagoda

TheYodaPagoda Force Ghost star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Hmmm...for me the changes were good for the most part.

ANH
    —Biggs
    —Death Star redux...such an improvement over the original...the original was good, but the improved version was fantastic!
    ESB
    —Cloud City...I kept thinking, oh yeah, this will be pretty cheesy, but it turned out a lot better than I thought. Plus the tracking shot of the Falcon flying to the landing platform was great too.
    ROTJ
    —Sarlaac redux...although makes for a strange scene when it 'burps' after eating Boba Fett. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the 'beak' to burp instead?
    —I did enjoy seeing the celebrations across the galaxy at the end!

Could have lived without Han shooting second and Jabba. Also to this day, I just skip over the Jedi Rocks part of ROTJ. I'd rather watch a movie with nothing but Jar Jar Binks than watch that scene again.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and kainee like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I actually like all of them except the rock in front of R2, new Ben call (Boga was fine), and Greedo shooting Han. But my favourite are:

ANH:

- Expanded Mos Eisley
    - Falcon approaching Yavin
    - Enhanced Battle of Yavin

TESB:

- Expanded Cloud City (noon and day)
    - New Emperor hologram
    - Windows on Cloud City (although one scene is still missing continuity)
    - Temuera voicing Boba

ROTJ:

- Revised Sarlacc
    - Ewoks with eyelids
    - Expanded Celebration and new theme

10. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    The Mos Eisley scenes, the Bespin scenes, the new music for the Ewok village scene at the end of ROTS . . . just to name a few.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  11. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    In ANH, the only change I like is when the Millennium Falcon blasts its way out of Mos Eisley spaceport. That new take-off shot is pretty cool.

Nothing in TESB impressed me.

Hated all the changes in ROTJ. Especially ghost Anakin and NOOOOO!!!!!

12. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013
    Well, as someone who actually likes consistency in my franchises, I don't mind the vast majority of Lucas' changes, as they do serve to make the overall saga feel more connected. The cosmetic changes to certain effects, adding more background characters/creatures, recasting certain characters to better match their prequel counterparts (yes, I actually think Hayden's ghost in Jedi is a good idea, and even is a pretty good tearjerker, seeing Anakin restored to his former glory), putting in scenes originally deleted...all fine with me. The changes that I'm aware of and I DON'T approve of are as follows, in no particular order:

1. Greedo shooting first. The fans are right on this one. It totally kills Han's badassery in this scene, and lessens the power of his arc in A New Hope.

2. Obi-Wan's new call to scare off the Tuskens in A New Hope's Blu-ray. To be fair, the second half of the scream, the half that has an added echo effect, actually could be legitimately spooky, but the first half just sounds like a guy's panicked shriek when he's interrupted during a shower. I laugh/groan every time I hear it. Plus, I don't buy a scream like that coming out of Sir Alec Guinness' mouth.

3. Vader's two 'No's' in the Blu-ray of Return of the Jedi. This is the one change that angers me above all, and the one I refuse to play devil's advocate for or forgive Lucas for. Simply put, it utterly wrecks the emotional climax of Anakin Skywalker's journey throughout these films. It feels condescending that Lucas thought new audiences needed to have Anakin's remorse blatantly spelled out.

Remember that moment in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, when Indy's hanging on the ledge and Henry's trying to pull him up, and Indy is close to slipping because he's distracted by trying to grab the Holy Grail? The original scene goes like this:

Indy: I see it, Dad! I can...almost...reach it!

Henry (very softly): Indiana? Indiana?

(Indy looks at his father, bewildered, since this is the first time Henry's ever called him by his preferred name)

Henry (somberly): Let it go...

Indy snaps out of it, grabs Henry's other hand, and is pulled to safety.

It's a perfect emotional moment, because it's just subtle enough to get across the momentous nature of Henry using that name, and relies more on the acting of Ford and Connery for the sentimental gut-punch. Now, picture Lucas applying the same mindset he had when putting those NO's in Jedi to this scene:

Indy: I see it, Dad! I can...almost...reach it!

Henry (very softly): Indiana? Indiana?

(Indy looks at his father, bewildered, since this is the first time Henry's ever called him by his preferred name)

Henry (somberly): I know I've been a bad father. I'm sorry if I ever hurt you. I've always loved you, no matter what. You don't need to die here. Believe in me, son. Love is more important than immortality.

Indy: I love you too, Dad. You're the (sob) best!

He then grabs Henry's other hand, and is pulled to safety.

A case study in "show don't tell" doing wonders, people. =D=

The only rationale I can think of that Lucas might have had for this change is that, in his mind, if Vader indeed did become Anakin again in that moment, then that would mean he'd revert back to his bad habit of letting out Big No's. But that doesn't really work even for a continuity-nut like me: the power of that scene is the fact that, for once, Anakin isn't being over-the-top and emotional. He's just doing the right thing, having finally realized that enough is enough.

Otherwise, yeah, the changes aren't too bad...[face_party]

Vthuil likes this.
  13. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's not even comparable. If you saw your son in pain due to someone beating him, would you silently try to stop his attacker (not to mention the whole emotional mindset the character is in)? I'm not saying that the original version wasn't fine as it was, but it's the climax of the saga and of Anakin's life and it's perfectly understandable (from the character's emotional point of view) to scream while trying to stop it. People may not like it (I didn't at first), but the change has a valid reason behind it.

14. CryGoneGin

CryGoneGin Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 28, 2013

Well, this is simply a case of different strokes, different folks. I found the underplayed, simple emotion of the original scene hugely moving. I really feel that scene needs subtlety to work, not overt emotional reactions. But it worked for you, which is fine. I won't treat you like a moron or something equally petty because of it. Carry on, good sir!

15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    So did I. But then again, the music played an huge part to counterpoint the silence of his change of heart.

16. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    ANH:
    -improved opening crawl
    -CGI dewbacks and Stormtrooper clips
    -cleaned up the space under the landspeeder and the shadows around it.
    -Jawa getting bucked
    -Jabba scene
    -explosive shock wave when the DS blows up
    -More X-wing footage
    -actual actors in the Yavin celebration
    -larger detention block corridor
    -fixed the lightsaber effect when Luke is in the Falcon

ESB:
    -more Wampa
    -Hatch on the Falcon

RotJ:
    -Boba flirting
    -Oola about to by chomped
    -revised Sarlacc
    -Rope around Han's feet when he's reaching for Lando
    -Shockwave around the DS explosion
    -different Ewok celebration
    -blinking Ewoks
    -Removing Anakin's eyebrows
    -fixed the crossing lightsabers

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

You mean in terms of limitations of the puppet, versus what could be done with CGI? Or do you mean in terms of size? The puppet wouldn't be able to move as well, which is why Lucas went for CGI.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  18. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Changing films that were already finished and released is a lot easier than altering them at the script stage before any filming takes place.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  19. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I pretty much like all the changes.

Except Jedi Rocks ( the song, not the video) but that was just going from "horrible" to "slightly more horrible". (while the video went from "horrible" to "watchable")

20. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I've got an interesting question: what changes did you like?

Me, I love the new Celebration music. When the chorus comes in, it becomes mystical.

21. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    In the OOT version of Return of the Jedi, as Luke walks away from the force ghosts, he gives a quick wink to them before he joining Leia and Han for the end celebration. I always thought that was a nice touch as the wink signified that HE was the only one who would see his father, Yoda and Kenobi.

In the 1997, 2004, and 2011 versions, Luke's wink was edited out? Not sure why Lucas would do that? For any SE fans who have never seen the OOT version, just check it out and tell me what you think?

22. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Dear God, you're right! This is the first time I've noticed this, and I've never heard it brought up before (I'll post the videos).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?annota...&feature=iv&src_vid=np6vAuS0KNs&v=DXpmunmG5ss

It wasn't digitally altered, the scene was just cut short by a few seconds for some reason or another. This is actually pretty mind-boggling . Maybe it had something to do with the music? I honestly have no idea.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  23. SithHorseman

SithHorseman Jedi Master star 1

Feb 22, 2002
    What does OOT stand for? I avoid watching those versions; most changes only serve to worsen the films.

24. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I like that I have the Theatrical Release of ANH, at least. No changes there. Does Lucas have a thick skull, or does he not pay attention to the community? Nobody wanted those changes/thought they were necessary.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  25. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    ...Huh. I never noticed that before. What a pointless and kind of irritating edit.

TOSCHESTATION and Carbon1985 like this.