main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    And how would that happen if ep7 would have absolutely no hint, no characters of the past 4,5 decades of EU?

2. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    "Visions of Luke Skywalker" could be all nice and fun for explaining the post-ROTJ EU, but in the new timeline it would mean that Luke was hallucinating his ass off for like 30 years non stop.

Which is not necessarily a bad thing.

[​IMG]

3. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    So we'll see him waking up in detox after a long night of booze and spices, still shaking of the after-effects of deathsticks saying "wow, that was some flash".

Darth_Pevra and The Hellhammer like this.
  4. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Or maybe Sequel Trilogy should be just a dream? That would be nice. We could get a book where in the end of Chapter 3 the dream is mentioned by Luke, and Jaina calls it "ridiculously stupid and absurd".

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "We can't stop here! This is jawa country!"

The Hellhammer and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It doesn't have to be a single 30 year long vision experianced by soley Luke Skywalker8-} , next off visions don't always take place at real speeds such as Luke getting visions of Han and Leia's torture and Yoda seeing it too in moments... 30 years is an arbitrary number that way too high for how long these visions would have to take. Its a Rather funny Idea the way you put it[face_laugh] though a pretty bold fallacy responce to disregard the entire concept off handedly whether intended or not too.

Recall visions of futures that never came to be have happened a lot on the smaller scale, it was how Luke first was hinted at of Mara Jade as he envisioned her stealing his lightsaber on Jabba's sail barge thus dooming him and his friends. Luke in Empire had a duel against Vader in a vision in the cave that turned out to be a warning of what he could become. Moments like this are all that's needed.

So now on the smaller scale, let's say Luke wants to set up a Jedi Academy some where off Corcusant, he could now meditate on it and have visions of Kevin J Anderson's "Jedi Academy Trilogy" and Michael Stackpole's "I Jedi" thus acknowledging it in vision form (it doesn't even have to be witnessed just mentioned like how Yoda summed up Lukes Cloud City vision). For example There's no need to have Luke be forwarned in a dreamlike '30 year vision' of Exar Kun force ghost until he is about to face Exar Kuns force ghost on Yavin IV and all the rest can be cut from that vision for instance, just as there is no need to delve too deep into the much further depths of the decades the EU goes until its a threat. So no need to have Visions of Vong until LFL descides when/if to adapt them in (plus that way they could be more specfic about it and use it to save Chewie or explain why they never killed him this time), having more detailed visions of the time line split area would be ok though since it could be viewed as Luke exploring immedate possible furtures but further than that from a writing stand point is just foolish. Plus we can all extrapolate from that vision, that it referres to the entirety of the Post RotJ EU as a possible future that never happened... and can confirm it if minor visions of the EU as a possible future repeat themselves a few more times covering different topics.

Now that said, it doesn't mean Disney couldn't just sum up the entire post RotJ EU in some super long vision either, say if they felt like just responding to it once in some sort of let's wrap up the EU here and now TV special some day. Though Id fear that would, maybe could is more appropate, off put too many EU fans too fast for some of them not to become more hostile about it than if LFL approached it more on a case by case basis that covered the 'bigger stories' (such as Thrawn Trilogy and Vong invasion) but didn't always cover the 'smaller ones' (such as Darksaber or Crystal Star).

7. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    Except we are getting a final season which is season six

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Its not really season six, just two arcs of it that where in production when the show was can led that they choose to finish instead of dumping before they went to lightspeed towards Rebels. Its more like two bonus arcs now.

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Is that going to be on TV or online?

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think some sort of way to use that EU history but not be beholden to it would be a great way to fill the Ep. 6-Ep. 7 "gap", somewhat similar to how DC's "New 52" universe is laid out, it's a total reboot technically but a lot of that history is being plugged into it. Or like Marvel's "Ultimate" universe which pulls from it's original universe history (or even how the movies do it). Thrawn doesn't die at the end of "Last Command" he can stick around as an antagonist in various stories (or he eventually sticks around long enough to beat back the Vong invasion before it happens like he always wanted to!) It just depends if there's a story reason why the ST-universe played out differently, be it a visions of Luke Skywalker or something, or they just jump headfirst into redoing the post ROTJ history without it. The easiest way is to say "alternate universe!" But giving it a story, or saying it's a vision Luke had, would keep a single-continuity going. Personally, I dig big crazy timeline re-wirting stories crossovers but that's just me. I do think giving a story as to why this happened would keep it all inside of a single line.

Basically, there's no way the EU could fit into the ST. Too much stuff happened. The film creators would be beholden to 2 decades of spin-off materiel that had to go into their story, which is to make a sequel to "Return of the Jedi" and not Crucible. But to never use the EU again would be a waste of materiel. To see it come back differently would let fans of that stuff see it done in a different way. We're already remaking movies, how bout Star Wars starts remaking novels of the Big Freakin' Stories. Get Tim Zhan to write a TTT novelization but with some different twists. Like if Han and Leia have Skippy Solo be the heroine of Episode 7, you can re-do TTT with Leia pregnant with Skippy at, say, 12 years after the Battle of Endor but not the 5 it was originally was. And make all those references to the Clone Wars and Dark Jedi in the series fit better this time!

JackG and Ryus like this.
  11. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I still have no idea why "keeping it all inside a single line" is worth a functional "rocks fall everyone dies" for the old EU.

12. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    You miss my point - that in some 320 pages of posts we kinda get back to talking about the same thing but it is possible to do it but if I told you that we would start the debate all over again however it's all mute cause looking at the casting calls the EU is toast...........

13. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013

I tried arguing this a few times, I think it should be set 45 ABY+, Since the actors are of age to go with that timeline, But a lot of people on here hate FOTJ and LOTF and want it to just be like nothing happened after the movies and start over, Because there "would be to much to explain in the opening credits". Even though luke, leia, han actors are all 60/70 years old, who will most likely have kids and other things happened in the 30 years they aged anyways.

14. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Nah, like Thrawn and Chewie would still be alive but Jacen, Jania and Anakin Solo never existed so it's kind of a 50/50 split down the middle.

Ryus likes this.
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    As much as I love (mostly) Jacen, Jaina, Anakin Solo, Allana, Ania, Ben, Cade, etc... I expect the Skywalker/Solo family tree to be restuctured to Lucas's vision (at least for the most part, though I can't exclude the possibility of one or two getting honored in someway).

Though other EU characters will have much higher odds of likely be adapted in (not calling for tons, just saying odds are some will be), cause its cost effective, popular with EU fans, capitalizing on previous works they own the rights too, etc... The Clone Wars did this and the Prequels (to a smaller degree) did too. Now that Lucas isnt writing all of it odds of the future of Star Wars being like the Clone Wars (instead of prequals) regarding EU usage are where to place your bets. Dave Filoni likes adapting in EU (though often his take on the EU characters), so expect it in Rebels... And Ignr flat out stated they'd use the tens of thousands of Star Wars characters to create new stories (greatly implying EU characters based on the empisys he placed on the number of characters).

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    so i was reading that Luke might not even be in Episode VII. i really hope this is just a rumor.

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Uh, I was hardly being serious, just having fun over exaggerating, man :p

18. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    The curse of literalism strikes again. I suspect you know what I meant.

19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I didn't mean to type that much either... I was just very bored at that moment and got carried away. I must need a new spoiler to focus on or something :p

I believe its true that EU Luke won't be in the movie. Oh, wait did you mean Luke in general... In the EU thread of all places :p

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  20. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah but on the plus side, there are a bunch of characters are still around to use. Just slightly different-ish. Or, in the case of Chewie, back again!

Ryus likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Where did you hear this?

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Its based on Samual L Jackson saying Mark Hamill told him JJ hadn't called him yet... [Insert logic leap here]... Therefore some are assuming Luke isn't returning.

23. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Does anybody really believe that? I don't remember seeing anyone make that assumption based on Jackson's comments.

24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Its not the comment itself, its the sensationalism in the titles of net articiles about the comment. Many flat out hype Luke not returning 8-}

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Ah that makes sense. I've learned not to pay attention to anyone talking about Star Wars anywhere on the internet besides here and a few other Star Wars sites who know what they're talking about, so I'm not inclined to keep up with what's going around outside of informed circles.

Ryus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.