main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Yo. ^_^

I'd completely forgotten about the boards moving, I've had so much on my plate. But I've needed another hobby along with my sewing and costuming (among other things) so I decided to ease my way back.

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Far, far, far too long. No prior planning, either, so none of us know where she'll stay or how she'll get around. She expects my brother to pick her up at the airport, which isn't happening. I wonder if he even knows about this. Found out that my half-brother knows about it, so there's that. But, again, the lodging issue and this is all so very sudden.

Yeah, I'm not looking forward to this at all. I'll be working on as many escape plans as possible.

3. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Welcome back :)

I NEED to stop procrastinating. I could have gotten so much done today, then I realized I had a dentist appointment, then I had a nap, then I went christmas shopping. I just need to get down and write these papers, even if they're garbage.

Edit: Trak, that sounds very unorganized. I don't blame you for wanting to go into hiding. Thankfully, my family doesnt do that. The few people that dont live in town either never come, or if they do, there is always a ton of other people to visit and stay with.

4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Well, I've been building so many models in the past year or so that I finally decided to start a build log of one. It's over at another site, and the subject is the USS Yorktown CV-5 in 1/700 scale.

5. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Mom said she has a friend up here whom she can stay with, but to impose herself on that friend for a month and a half? Also, my half-brother can put her up, and my brother's place has the room to put her up, but no one wants to put up with her for longer than they need to. She even suggested that she stay with me, which I will do my damnedest to make sure it doesn't happen. My place is too damn small for a long-term guest, and I can't have someone staying for longer than a week or two (Mom overstays her welcome within a week, if that).

This is really going to mess things up, as now everyone will need to work around her. Fine time to fly up to Pennsylvania, Mom.

6. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, I am thinking about going to see Gravity. Has anybody seen it? It is any good? Will it make me dizzy? I easily get dizzy. When the kids don't like me watching them play video games they spin their character in a circle and then I have to leave because it causes vertigo.

I just finished reading Razor's Edge. I liked it. It looks like they are going to write a series of Empire and Rebellion books. That's cool. It was fun watching the Leia/Han interaction so early in their relationship. You know they can't fall into bed and remain canon, but it is interesting getting into Han and Leia's head during this time frame.

7. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    My brother and his wife saw Gravity at the IMAX. They liked it. Chock full of CGI, though, so it's an animated movie with some live actors in it.

8. Iverna

Iverna Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2008
    Hey, welcome back! Even though I don't think I ever actually met you... So, it's nice to meet you! I think we lost a few folks with the move. It's good to have you back!

9. windu4

windu4 Jedi Master star 4

May 15, 2008
    I highly recommend Gravity! Here's a tip though: only see it in I-Max or 3D. It's a really visual film and you have to see it in a higher medium than plain ol' 2D. The special effects are amazing, realistic and just plain awesome. The story kind of takes a backseat to the visuals and the theme of the film but it's still pretty decent.

10. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I think I'll go into town and head for the bookstore for inspiration.

11. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Welcome back, Sabyne!

Trak- A month and a half is a long time to be a guest! If she insists on coming for that long, maybe you all can take turns with her so no one person gets the brunt of it?

I haven't seen Gravity, but everyone I know that has really liked it. I saw Thor the other day and really enjoyed it... much more than the first one.

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The longest house guest I have ever had was my nephew who came out to stay with me in Germany for a month. It wasn't too bad because we were on travel tours every week. If you have stuff to do and the time to do it it doesn't suck too bad. He was sixteen, so he pretty much listened to me and didn't make my life miserable. I've had my mother-in-law stay with me twice for two weeks at a time, but that was when I gave birth to my boys and that was a big help since I was recovering from a C-section both times.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Yeah, we may take turns with Mom, as I'm pretty sure she's going to drive my brother's wife bonkers in no time flat. I can supply a couch for a week at a time, so that would work fine. She also knows some people who can put her up, and my half-brother can take her, too.

14. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    We had some storms last night. Luckily it wasn't anywhere as bad as in Illinois. We did have tornado watches, but I don't know if any showed up or touched down. The last time we had a tornado watch it appears a microburst hit our yard. We must have been the worst hit in the area because we had TV vans in our yard filming the damage. I can't complain though since all the torn out trees missed the house. We still are cutting wood from that storm.

Anyway, the wind was howling and then the power went off around 9PM. This morning I wake up and there is still no power. The kids think this means they don't have school. I told them that I doubt trees took out the power in the city where they go to school. I am glad I don't live in the olden days because getting dressed by flashlight or candlelight sucks. We don't have water because the water pump doesn't work, or stove and oven are electric and the phones don't work since they are wireless. The last time this happened it was days before we got the power back on. After that I tried to talk my husband into getting an automatic backup generator. I was going to pay for it myself out of some inheritance money, but he thought $5000 for a generator that could power the entire house was a waste of money. Let's see what he thinks after this power outage. If he wants a generator he is going to have to pay for it himself since I put all of my inheritance into the kid's college funds and our IRAs.

The good news is he paid for the kids' and his computer virus protection. He kept getting warning popups that the protection ends. The kids were also getting that message. I wanted to see what he would do about it. Finally he says to me. "Do we need this virus protection?" I said, "Only if you don't want your computer attacked by viruses." Then he asks what computers this goes to and I tell him, "Your computer and the kids' computers. My computer I already updated because it was a MAC." He hates putting his credit card online and always wants me to pay for things but then he doesn't want to give me money to pay for the things he wanted and I don't have the money to pay for these things.

One time I got a BP card that gave me 5% back on gas purchases. I was sent two cards, but the bill went to me. He had a huge truck and he was filling it up once or twice a week at $110 per tank. So I get my credit card bill and there is about $400 in gas purchases from him. He said he put in on my credit card since I can then keep the 5% money back...but he expected me to pay the entire credit card. So I get to pay $400 so I can get $20 cash back. What a deal. I took away his credit card. I don't know how a guy with a degree in nuclear physicist can be such an idiot when it comes to common sense. :rolleyes:

I really hope the electricity is back on when I get home.

15. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Yeah, I know how you feel about the power JL. It's happened in my condo complex a couple of times now (thankfully not last night, though we got similar storms to you). Hope you come home to a lit house!

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I hope everyone is safe. Some of those storms looked pretty nasty.

Our power was off on Friday for a few hours, but that was because of an epic snowstorm. It snowed about 20 cms since Friday. It stopped this morning, but we are supposed to get more.

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    My lights are on! Yea! [face_party]

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Yay for having power! If you live in a place where the power might go out due to weather, I think getting a generator is a good investment. I always like it when the power goes out for a little while, but after a few hours I'm usually completely over it.

I have to work nights for the next three weeks, I'm kinda worried I'm going to remember why I loved working nights and want to go back to them.

19. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I don't mind the power going off in the summer, but in the winter it means no heat. Friday was brutal because I was the only one at home, freezing my butt off.

Good luck with nights.

I'm kinda swirling around the black abyss right now. I'm nearly done my first paper (2100/2500 words of pure word vomit) but I still have 2 more to do (one is going to be quick because we had to hand in an outline for it, so basically I just have to type up my notes, but I haven't even looked at the other one). So, because I'm stressed about my papers, I'm not sleeping and not eating the best (not the best thing for a type 1 diabetic. So I'm exhausted, cranky, stressed out which basically heaps more shavit onto me and basically I'm convincing myself that I'm going to die alone and all life is worthless, which is making me lose more sleep and more stressed out. Ugh.

Is it Christmas yet?

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Stang Briannakin your work load sucks. I am sure I had a lot of papers due when I was in college, but I didn't work hard at it. Usually I would read the first chapter and last chapter of books and then write an English report on the book based on that introduction and ending. For history I had a friend who was a history freak and I would go and ask him to explain something about a particular event. He would go off for an hour about General so-and-so and how should have done this-or-that during WWII. So I would use what he said in my essay test and it sounds like I have really thought about the subject. lol! At the end of the semester the plastic wrapping was still on my history book. Needless to say, I didn't have the highest GPA.

By the way, Briannakin is all of Canada as fascinated with your crack smoking mayor as the US media seems to be?

21. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Someone needs a hug. [:D]

22. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Goodwood Thanks I do.

Short answer : no. We just kinda laugh at how much attention he's getting in the US. His name was brought up last week in my political science class and as soon as the prof mentioned Rob Ford (it was just a off-hand comment) and we all kinda groaned and facepalmed. But I also live in the far west where there's a lot of western alienation (because a lot of Canadian power is focused on and in the east), and we always just laugh at the east's problems. We all think he should get re-elected, but people in Toronto might not share our opinions. I think the US is fascinated by it because it makes the US sound alright. Like ha, the US Government might have completely shut down, but look at those Canadian idiots, one of their mayors smokes crack!

Goodwood and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Hey, we reelect crack smoking mayors...such as Marion Barry.

24. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    [:D] Bri! Sorry life is so stressful right now. :(

My yearly review is coming up at the end of this month and while I'm not worried about it from my supervisors POV, I have to do a self-evaluation and I hate doing that. We also have to write a Clinical Narrative where we write about a challenging patient we had, what we did and how we learned from it, etc. which is not a problem (other than I have several patients I can think of and have to choose which on to write about).
    I told my boss that I would write him a 10 page Clinical Narrative (they don't have a set length, but should be at least 2-3 pages) if I didn't have to do my self-evaluation... the answer was of course, no. :(

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    One essay down! (Well, kinda, I still have to vomit out a conclusion, but that'll be easy, and do my bibliography. Let's just hope he doesn't actually track down my sources. I took a lot of stuff out of context to meet the research requirements. In my experience, they only track down sources if something looks suspicious).

Good luck on your yearly review. In my historiography class we had to do a group evaluation for a group project which included a self evaluation. I did an alternative assignment alone but I ended up with a group evaluation form anyways, and he insisted that we all fill them out. So I was really sarcastic and said I did all the work and that I should get an A because I'm awesome. He laughed. But, yeah, I hate self evaluations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.