main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I'll never understand why people persist in asking questions they know they won't get an answer to. How should any of us know why Lucas edited it out?

Do I look like I have $4 billion laying around!? :p

Honestly, maybe Lucas thought it was breaking the fourth wall a bit too much. Or maybe he was concerned that some people might read it weirdly since Luke's walking away with Leia -- his sister. I know a couple of guys who like to wink to show "oh yeah…gonna get some!" (or at least that's the general sentiment behind the gesture when they make it). Maybe Lucas thought Mark Hamill's face looked funny in that shot? Hell if I know...

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    There are zillions of threads here where people bring up Lucas quotes from the past (Darth Sinister uses them in all of his posts) which I have seen you on occasion 'like' them. ;) I was hoping that someone maybe read something that Lucas said, or possibly Rich McCallum (who worked on the SE) said as to why they took the wink out.

No need to get all bent out of shape as you sound like you are related to George Lucas in that nobody can question ANYTHING he does. It was a simple question, and you could have politely said, "I really don't know." ;)

3. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

PiettsHat: I was making a little joke, sir.

[​IMG]

Carbon1985: Extremely little, ensign.

4. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Judging by your history of posts in defense of Lucas, I don't think you were joking. ;)

Or maybe I was making alittle joke. ;)

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  5. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    It's just a short abbreviation that people call for the Original Versions of the Star Wars Films on the Internet. I believe they also call them OUT Versions, Original Unaltered Theatrical Versions too.

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  6. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Considering all my jokes have fallen flat today, I will lay the blame squarely on my delivery rather than your interpretation…this time at least! :p

Honestly, though, it was meant as a joke -- the opening was meant to be hyperbolic to lead into the money joke (hence the smiley).

In fairness to you, though, the "hell if I know" portion probably didn't do much to get the humor across.

But, anyway, you have my best guesses. The conspiracy theorist in my brain is telling me to lean towards Lucas having a paranoid fear that the wink could be seen as incestuous.

I imagine the real reason is rather mundane, so I'll stick with that.

7. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    I wonder more about why he changed the line "You're lucky you don't taste very good." to "You were lucky to get out of there." in Empire. But that's another topic.

Sarge, TOSCHESTATION and Carbon1985 like this.
  8. PiettsHat

Jan 1, 2011

Innuendoooooooo

9. Darth_Henning

Darth_Henning Jedi Master star 4

Jun 1, 2007
    Never noticed that before either.

Its admittedly an odd choice, but I don't think that it really changes the meaning of the scene at all one way or the other. I think its pretty obvious even without that Luke is the only one to see the ghosts.

10. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003

Well then I'm glad he didn't change "Sorry, sweetheart. We haven't got time for anything else." to "Sorry, sweetheart. We got work to do." or something not funny.

11. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I'd be interested to see how many people post here who never even noticed the change.

I always thought it added a nice touch, although maybe Lucas didn't like that Luke 'winked' first just like Han shot first against Greedo. :p

12. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Never knew he winked at them

13. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Wow that's new I didn't know that! That's preety cool!

14. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    There's also a tiny bit of Chewie and Lando dancing that's gone too, the awkward (I don't want to be here) clapping remains but there's a split second of Chewie looking like he's trying to get him to join in that's vanished.

15. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    I thought he was just blinking awkwardly.

16. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Given the other changes, I'm gonna go ahead and assume the sequence was re-edited for the Special Edition and fit the new music, along with the new sequences (like Wedge at the celebration). While it is a minor change, it is notable in being Luke's final sign of acknowledgement to the last generation of Jedi. Being Star Wars fans, no detail is too small.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  17. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Ho ho - but like a couple of other minor line changes, it was actually changed for technical reasons. During the restoration, it was found that the original audio for that line had degraded too far to use, so audio from another take was used.

18. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That's another thing I don't understand. Sure, the original audio might have been too degraded, but there were millions of VHS tapes of the OT prior to 1997, so couldn't Lucas have taken a sample from one of those tapes instead?

19. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    No - such a sample would a) be mixed in with the rest of the audio; and b) would not be anywhere close to the sort of quality required for playing in a cinema.

Given the choice between substandard audio and swapping the line, the change made more sense in the context of the full restoration and audio remastering of the film. It's the initial reason the "Bring my shuttle" line was altered - although they could have had JEJ simply re-do the original line instead of recording a new one. That, I don't like.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and FRAGWAGON like this.
  20. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    But wasn't the new "shuttle" line actually an outtake from the first movie? I don't think they actually recorded any new lines for the special editions. Though despite the age difference, I think JEJ could still pull it off (as he did in 2005 and 2011).

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    You're quite right, forgot about that.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I'm just gonna say it even though it'll earn me some flak... the OOT ending to Return of the Jedi is nearly painful for me to watch now. Obviously I don't mind the editions, and some changes I like less than others, but holy cow, I never realized how much better the new ending is than the old one. Probably the best of all the changes, or the least bad depending on your point of view.

23. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    Mod action: Merging the 'Luke Wink' thread with most recent thread about changes to the OT

24. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    The name of the thead is 'What Changes to the OT do you actually like?' yet my thread has nothing to do with that? My thread is about why Lucas took out the wink from Luke, and I was interested to see who even knew about this, and I was suprised to find that many people responded in this thread that they never even knew it.

I still don't understand why this thread has to be merged, but I will abide respectfully. :)

On a side note, I would like to ask Darth Nub if TFN could create a forum or atleast a thead for OOT talk like this one. Obviously the OOT talk is much different then the SE talk because they are essentially 2 different stories now, just like the ST (1-9) will be different then 'The Tragedy of Darth Vader (1-6). I think it would be nice if us OOT fans had our forum or atleast thread we can talk about just the movies from 1977-83 without any context after that.

What do you think? Thanks. :)

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Why don't you just create that thread yourself? ;)

On topic, I pretty much agree with Darth Eddie (Killer icon, BTW ;) ;) ;)). The original ending feels rather unsatisfactory. It barely qualifies as an appropriate ending for that movie alone. TESB and ANH both felt grander and this one is supposed to top off the whole trilogy. With the first trilogy in the picture, it gets even more ridiculous.
    I REALLY hate to say this, but the "Yub Nub" ending sucks.
    It is quite amusing to watch, though.

- That's it: Tatooine.
    - I know.

/LM