main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012

It's an interesting point because EP7 must be at least 30 years after EP6 to match up with the big 3's ages so if indeed the EU is toast it will still be an interesting opening crawl cause they still have to deal with 30 years of history however they will probably have an opening crawl that doesn't explain much of that apart from the current going's on much like the EP4 crawl so why can't they do the same at 45 ABY with the EU intact.............

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Because, as BigAl6ft6 already said, the job of the filmmakers is to make a sequel to ROTJ, not to Crucible.

And the "30 years will have passed anyway" argument is apples to oranges, because a lot of the events that happened in the EU are unnecessary - or outright counterproductive - for filling in the gap.

3. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    EU intact means they A) keep the kids (well the one surviving Solo kid and the grandkid) B) keep the galactic history. C) Dead Chewie. I don't think any of those seem like plausible options for the moviemakers.

The simplest example is they want to make their own Skywalker or Solo offspring, each kid with their own unique history that they decide. Why should they be tethered to what the previous authors have done?

Vthuil, Mystery_Roach and Ryus like this.
  4. Odolwa

Odolwa Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 12, 2013
    Ya i feel the same way, But people cant live without chewie and what not. oh well, going to be really interesting with what they do.

5. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    http://www.newsarama.com/19633-ea-says-star-wars-video-games-will-keep-expanded-universe-alive.html Heres some news on how Star wars video games will keep the expanded universe alive for those who as like myself are fans of it.

If there keeping and making the video games base of the expanded universe alive then there is hope to in my opinon that there will be spin-off movies based off it, not the sequel trilogy to be movies that are based of the eu but tv shows to be made but thats not in the news I posted with the link, I am only just gussing. I am happy about this news.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  6. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Or maybe he mentions in the movies he had some weird dreams about an extragalactic invasion Chewie getting killed.

Seriously though, they could just relgate the EU that doesn't fit with the ST to be holonovels. Shadows of Mindor already gave us the out of having in-universe holodramas based on the characters.

DarthBreezy likes this.
  7. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    with the chance that the EA games are keeping the Expanded universe alive, means there is hope for Expanded univese spin-offs into movies and tv shows but thats along ways away. I once again I am only gussing.

EDIT: This is a postive sign and hope for the Expanded universe to remain alive.

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  8. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Speaking of Newsarama, here's a bit from an editorial that nicely sums things up:

http://www.newsarama.com/17375-op-ed-it-s-ok-if-star-wars-expanded-universe-gets-rebooted.html

...What happens when Star Wars: Episode VII comes out and contradicts the excellent Thrawn trilogy and New Jedi Order novel series, or when the Han Solo and Boba Fett features hit and erase other stories from the comics?

And I've come to realize: it'll be okay. The easiest way to accept it for a science fiction fan (though, don't you ever forget, Star Wars is a fantasy first, despite its sci-fi trappings), is to simply embrace the concept of alternate realities. Sure, we saw how the story after Return of the Jedi progressed already. We've seen moments within the Great Jedi Purge between trilogies, and we've had characters' origin stories and backgrounds and even their family histories for thousands of years fleshed out. Heck, we now even know who the very first Jedi were, and how they chose to stop studying the Dark Side and move only into the Light. There've been Republic Commandos and a world made of the Force, there have been fierce Sith armies and lost distant relatives of heroes that are household names - there have been some absolutely amazing stories in the Expanded Universe. In all likelihood, when Star Wars Episode VII hits, it will have some similarities to some of those stories. It may have some similar or downright identical characters. It will carry similar themes - after all, Star Wars is Star Wars. But there is equal likelihood that it will functionally wipe out the Expanded Universe as we know it, and that's okay.

For one, like the stories of DC Comics before their September 2011 "New 52" reboot, these stories won't magically disappear. Them "not counting" or even just "counting less" to the overall official lore shouldn't take away anything from fans' enjoyment of them for what they are: great stories. As Obi-Wan Kenobi said, "many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view." And the silver lining to Disney/Lucasfilm doing something completely new for Episode VII and beyond? We get brand new Star Wars.

....Now don't go writing eulogies for Jacen and Jaina Solo, Mara Jade, Cade Skywalker, Darth Revan, Darth Bane, Kerra Holt, the Yuuzhan Vong, Kir Kanos, or any of the other innumerable contributions to the Star Wars mythos made by the talented Expanded Universe creators. Just don't seal your heart and mind to the possible new characters and stories that are on their way. After all, only Sith deal in absolutes.

9. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012

That really shouldn't be a surprise to you. If anything, the Expand Universe is about to gain more material in the next few years than it has since the prequels. Video games, books, comics, etc are all part of the merchandising deal with a new Star Wars trilogy.

Circular Logic and Ryus like this.
  10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Imagine...what if the EU were considered non-canon as of tomorrow, hypothetically speaking where does everyone think the Star Wars universe would go from there? Beyond the possibility of just one alternate universe, in the future, could there be multiple alternate universes similar to Marvel/D.C. comics, so that instead of an Earth 2-3-4-etc. maybe there'd be a Tatooine 2-3-4-etc.?

The idea of rewriting canon was explored in Star Wars Infinities to some degree, but never to the extent of rebooting the universe over and over again, and as such I wonder if that'd work with the Star Wars universe.

Jeff Zach likes this.
  11. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I'm fine with a new universe, I just want the better and popular EU characters being adapted into it and better EU stories to inspire new stories.

Star Wars has already dwelt with the Marvel comics being mostly made non cannon (though some of it was made back into cannon, including some of its best characters). It can deal with a redo of Jedi Academy (Yavin IV was a great idea, but Anderson was horrible just about every where else in the story), Thrawn inspired compatent non force user enemy commanders who win as much as they lose, greater number of female characters, dark jedi, Rogue Squadron stories, more bounty hunter stories, etc...

That said, I'm sure LFL will be tempted to explain the new EU that makes all of it non cannon yet still acknowledges it because many star wars EU fans are fans of it being one universe (mostly).

Though the EU won't be non cannon tommorrow (literally anyways, tomorrow on this forum means so much more now too in a figerative sense), too many fans would see this as too jarring without movie news to go with it. They scream the sky is falling and more people will panic about VII scarring off it hard core fans before it even starts, the inverstors will flinch a bit... and Disney would be forced to give more news which they're not ready to do yet due to still cast.

Jetedonne Pur-Pureus likes this.
  12. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Honestly, I'm fairly certain we won't know anything approaching the official proclamation of canon status of the post ROTJ EU until well after the movie is out. (when people dissect trailers for canon disparities or, y'know, when we know Chewie is in it. Any and all indignant twitter inquires will probably get "all will be revealed".) Maybe when it hits home video. Keep your eyes peeled for April 2016 folks!

13. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think we'll know the status of the EU before Episode VII, if for no other reason than because of the inevitable tie-in novel leading up to it.

14. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I wonder about that sometimes. I wonder if JJ will allow the book to be released before the film. That's how it usually goes, but he's such a secrecy freak. [face_thinking]

15. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yeah, and I think it would actually be a nice change to not have that happen... I'd like to see the movie come out first.

16. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hadn't much considered it, but I agree with that idea.

17. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012

Sure, novelization should come out after the movie, but I'm fine with tie-in novel like Labyrinth of Evil and I hope KK will have her last word and we won't have so much secrecy that we wouldn't even know when Episode VII will happen in a timeline 2 weeks before the opening...

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  18. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Curious - was there a novel tie in with the Trek-veres? And if so, is that how the Kahn' info leaked? I know they are different critters compared to SW, but both have a readership following even though I don't think Trek's is as large.

19. black_saber

Apr 4, 2002
    Thats old news, and EA games gave those who enjoyed the Expanded universe hope but and those who dislike the Expanded universe disappointment.

I do belevie we may be getting an orignal story which would tie in within the Expanded universe, even thou the sequel trilogy is taking us somewhere where the star wars novels and comic books did not go like what the clone wars went, Rebels, and the live action tv show are continuing to go.

Spin-offs for say.

20. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004

Yeah this is what I was referring to. Not the novelization but the tie-in novel that always leads up to the events of the movie. In all honestly though, I would be surprised if the novelization weren't out at least a few days before the movie is released.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Seeing as every single SW movie had the novelization come out first (in some cases only a few weeks before, in some cases months before) - it would probably be a good bet that the novel will come out first this time round as well.

Mystery_Roach likes this.
  22. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

good listen (great episode title too) I like the idea they float that Lucasfilm puts out less novels but they tie it into the universe better with official oversight.

23. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not sure how well that's going to work in practice. It sort of did with Babylon 5 back in the 90s, but often this sort of thing just leads to the extra materials proving irrelevant and withering away - and sometimes still getting overruled anyway!

24. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012

Eh, any long-running series eventually contradicts itself. Heck, the film series itself contradicts itself! But, y'know, I guess an Abrams/Kennedy approved spin-off ancillary materiel would at the very least provide pause and maybe look for different options before being steamrolled.

25. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    These contradictions are getting worse all the time.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.