main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Changes to the Original Trilogy

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Kran Starborn, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Hence why I didnt' want this thread merged because of answers like this that have nothing to do with my original question. I am glad you can bash the OOT ending (which seems to be a trend that's allowed but we seemed to be warned everytime we start flaming the PT around here) ;) ,

My question was about why Lucas took out the Luke's wink to the Force Ghosts?

Barbecue17 likes this.
  2. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    fixed.

[face_shame_on_you];)

3. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Shut up :p

Carbon1985
    In retrospect, my post does come off as quite the basher's fest. My intention was just to share my opinion. Too bad I expressed it the way I did. I guess I was a bit overwhelmed by how underwhelming I thought that ending was. I hadn't seen it since the mid-nineties, after all.

My answer to your question, BTW, would be: I don't know ;)

- I can't believe it.
    - I don't believe you.

/LM

4. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    Carbon1985 You're welcome to start an OOT-only thread, just state that it's pre-SE very clearly in the title and/or first post.

Similarly, if anyone wants any EU-free threads, do the same.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  5. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    Improved quality of sound, and the correct Palpatine

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm not quite sure why the "Luke's wink" thread was merged either, especially since the consensus seemed to be that it was not a change that people liked.

TOSCHESTATION and Carbon1985 like this.
  7. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Plus the fact that many younger fans here didn't even know about the change, or were surprised to see it last night when I started the thread. But it will get lost in 'What Changes to the OT did you like' now.....:(

It seems that Lucas revisionism won this battle as many younger fans will never know the subtle pointless changes he has made throughout the years....

8. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    /groan

Thread title changed - let's make this the general thread for discussion about all the changes to the OT, pro & con. As for why I merged the wink thread - every change made doesn't need its own thread.

9. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    "Get a rope!!!"

10. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    Well, now you're just opening the gates to endless change-bashing.

11. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    .....not that there's anything wrong with that."

Darth_Pevra and Carbon1985 like this.
  12. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    You wouldn't hang a guy with glasses on, would you? :-B

- You don't know how hard I found it, signing the order to terminate your life.
    - I will not cooperate.

/LM

13. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I want them & I think they were necessary. And I'd like to have more done (CGI Yoda FTW!).

Mod edit: Not necessary

14. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

I might be that there was more than one take of Luke looking back at the Jedi and in one take, he didn't wink and in another, he did. The one with the wink might have been in too bad of shape to be restored and thus Lucas had to substitute it with a different take.

15. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Looking at the original process behind creating the Sarlacc pit, I'm starting to respect the Special Edition version more and more. Pretty much the entire Yuma crew loathed the process, and I don't blame them. Aside from being physically harmed by falling into it (resulting in sprained ankles and even broken legs), they had to constantly downsize their vision of the creature. The beak was the first to go; then they had to limit the tentacles, as the original hydraulic system failed.

While it's debatable which looked more threatening, it certainly did look more alive. Rumor has it that it was also partially done to counter some appalling sexual theories surrounding the creature as well, just listen to professional nutcase Peter Biskind:
    Though honestly, it's pretty much in line with the original designs, which was good to see. It felt like more of a 'Star Wars' creature now.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Vthuil like this.
  16. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012

[face_thinking] I don't really see the "phallic gangplank," but I doubt that the vagina dentata look of the Sarlacc was unintentional.

But yeah the revised version is more in line with the original design sketches.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Barbecue17 like this.
  17. Vthuil

Jan 3, 2013
    'Liked' for this phrase alone.

SlashMan likes this.
  18. Darth_Nub

Apr 26, 2009
    I know they're trashy and constantly misrepresent their subjects, but I really enjoy Biskind's books...

Then again, I also enjoy watching the likes of Jersey Shore & TMZ now & then.:p

19. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I read somewhere that C-3PO is going to give more unrealistic odds for survival. :D

20. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    And that Han will now not dismiss his odds so as not to appear rude.

21. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I am actually interested to hear the odds of a direct assault on a Star Destroyer...
    Anyway, I have the newest versions of the movies, so I am not sure what differences there are, besides the ending to RotJ, Mos Eisley Cantina, etc.

22. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The following is what was in the 2011 Blu-Ray release.

ANH

-The cry that Obi-wan uses has changed again. It no longer sounds like Boga and sounds a bit more...odd.
    -There's a brief shot where Artoo is hidden, when he sees the Tuskens with Luke and when Obi-wan shows up, where there's additional rocks in front of Artoo. This makes it look odd that he could get in there.
    -The Han vs Greedo shoot out is even faster with less of a lag time.

ROTJ

-The door to Jabba's palace is much wider than before, but is mostly the same in the interior shots.
    -Wicket and a few of the Ewoks now blink whereas they didn't before. This is only in certain close-ups.
    -The Lightsabers have been fixed during the duel, so that they're colored as they were before the 04 changes.
    -Vader now says no twice, when he makes his choice to become good again and fulfill his destiny.

TPM

-Digital Yoda from AOTC and ROTS has been inserted in all of his scenes.

I might be missing one or two changes.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Some of the lightsaber shots still need fixing though, Vader's blade is still pink in a few shots from both "Empire" and "Jedi", while only the master shot was fixed of Luke's saber on the Falcon in "A New Hope".

24. MrCody

MrCody Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 4, 2013
    Just really does not affect me, i did not like the jabba bit in ANH that was it, could not care less, the movies are the same

Andy Wylde likes this.
  25. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    The Jabba bit in ANH never made sense to me - he's sent bounty hunters after Han apparently to get him dead or alive, but then when confronted by Han (and with the galaxy's most dangerous bounty hunter at his back) he basically gets talked around to the idea of Han paying him next week anyway. The scene with Greedo came about because Lucas originally preferred the Jabba scene for establishing that Han was a bit of a low life deadbeat, but after filming it with a human stand in thought that he couldn't make it work with their budget at the time, so instead filmed the Greedo scene. I don't think they work together - they create a conflicting tone. The Greedo scene is gritty, proper underworld stuff. The Jabba scene is a lot more light hearted, comedic and goes as far as to show a fondness from Jabba for Han.

I'm not suggesting that objectively one approach is better than the other, just that the two don't work well together.

Aside from that there are changes I like, like the new wampa stuff, Luke's silent fall in ESB and the new cloud city effects, changes I have mixed feelings about, like additions to the Battle of Yavin 4, McDiarmid in ESB, and changes I loathe, like Greedo shooting, basically everything in Jabba's Palace, Vader's "Nooooo", and a lot of the bad late 90s CGI added to Mos Eisley.

Like lots of people my main issue isn't that the changes were made, but the almost sweeping under the rug of the unaltered originals such that if you want to own them in 2013 it's either buying them in long dead formats like VHS or Laserdisc, or internet piracy. Director's/Final/Ultimate/Cinematic cuts of some of the cinematic greats such as Blade Runner manage to coexist and it irks me that this isn't the case with Star Wars.

Aperture Science and Barbecue17 like this.