main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Mace Windu in Star Wars: Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by InterestingLurker, May 25, 2013.

?

Should Mace Windu be in Star Wars: Rebels

1. Yes

21.5%
  2. No

78.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Hmmmm, how about...

Team Padme hits the nail on the head above me.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  2. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Hmm, if they did Holiday specials, we'd probably see the Ones kneeling by a baby Ahsoka in a manger at some point. /Filoni [face_hypnotized]

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
  4. Docgeo

Docgeo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 26, 2013
    interesting idea.....I would dislike it because his death was important step in Anakin's move to the darkside. I agree that his demise leaves it easy to bring him back but it would cause so many issues in my opinion. Again, I feel the only way to bring any of these Jedi back, other than Ahsoka, would be as force spirits for a limited time on a special occasion. I feel the likely one would be Plo Koon to influence Ahsoka.

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    A repost from the PT forum last June:

"...as far as I'm concerned, though well-intentioned, even those who agree that he died, but offer things like "there's no way Mace could've survived that fall" as proof, are missing the point. To me, Mace was dead before he was ever pushed.

Jackson delivered a final groan/moan/gasp just before he is pushed, and to me, that's the sound of Windu's death rattle that we're all hearing.

[​IMG]

Without getting too graphic, it seems to me that Mace's brain was cooked, his vital organs fried, and to Sidious, the Force push out the window amounted to little more than, well... taking out the garbage.

Yeah, it's a dark, pivotal scene, from a dark SW drama. As much as anyone may enjoy the character, I think it's best to leave this one as is. Even if Windu did somehow survive this encounter, there's just no way I could buy that he'd ever be the same. Luke was fortunate that, until the very last moment, Sidious was torturing Skywalker, and did not ratchet-up the Force lightning to overtly lethal levels sooner."

Since that time, my feelings haven't changed. Don't get me wrong, I love Mace and Shatterpoint as much as the next person, but based on what I saw in ROTS, it just wouldn't fly with me.

And hey, Mia Mesharad - good info on the whereabouts of Mace's saber. Any word on the one Sidious lost in the same duel? All I read on the 'wook was that "it would be lost in the alleyways and gutters of the Coruscant Underworld."

BigAl6ft6, JackG, DarthJenari and 2 others like this.
  6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Didn't the same happen to Anakin in RoTJ? It's left unclear as to whether he died because he was fried, or because his life support system was fried.

Trebor Sabreon and Heero_Yuy like this.
  7. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You raise an interesting point, I think, and you're right, there is some ambiguity there. It would seem that the suit both shielded Anakin from some of the direct effects of the Force lightning (though not completely, we know, as we see examples of his skeletal system lighting up like a Christmas tree), and contributed to his rapid demise as the life-support systems had begun to fail.

But playing devil's advocate for a moment, there could also be the question of whether all things can even be considered equal. Sidious was definitely letting loose in a no holds barred, all-out attack upon Mace ("Unlimited Powah!!!"), whereas aboard the DSII, while yes, lethal force had finally begun to be sent Luke's way once the Emperor had finished torturing the Jedi, this was interrupted in an "Oh, ****!" moment, courtesy of Anakin. Surely this sudden, unexpected turn of events equaled a break in concentration, and perhaps then, a dip in power?

To me, anyway, the two moments have always felt different. One, a vicious, full-on display of power, coupled with murderous intent (an attack both powerful and focused enough, I feel, to literally kill Mace where he stood), the other, an example of Sidious flailing about on auto pilot, in a desperate attempt at righting the ship and keeping his entire world from falling apart around him. Even considering the events of ROTJ, I never felt we were ever really "treated" to an on-screen display of Sidious' complete, unfettered power until the attack on Mace. I remember thinking to myself in the theatre, "Here we are seeing, finally, what he can really do."

Circular Logic likes this.
  8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the comics, Palpatine's Force Lightning has been known to reduce people to ash.

kubricklynch and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  9. Trebor Sabreon

Sep 15, 2010
    You're darn right! :D

Incidentally, that's why I said "an on-screen display of Sidious' complete, unfettered power." No question, Sidious was not a being to be taken lightly.

10. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    It would probably bring the show bad reputation. Older fans would then criticize the show, and it would probably be for the best to keep him dead. That being said, I think he should stay dead, and I seriously doubt he could survive that fall. However, they did bring Maul back, and Windu could have survived his seemingly-deadly situation more easily than Maul.

11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Honestly, as time goes on I find myself caring less. I'm not enjoying Star Wars any less, I just am numb to them jumping the shark. They brought Maul back, I was actually for it in the beginning, but then extremely disappointed when he just completely overshadowed Savage.

But the people that were against it would warn again and again that if Maul could survive the events of TPM, then anyone can come back. And after seeing Maul come back.... yep.... it's numbed me to the idea such that they could bring Mace back and I wouldn't bat an eye lash. I'm not for it, but I'm also not adamantly against it like I would have been a couple years ago.

If they went that route of Mace surviving I'd just deal with it.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    THIS!!!

[​IMG]

13. Fjw1970

Fjw1970 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 8, 2013
    I say no Mace. I don't like characters coming back from death. Didn't like it for Boba or Maul either.

However, I would have liked my SLJ in SW. Maybe he can play Mace's nephew in the ST. :)

14. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Why not just say Mace had an identical twin brother. Taser Windu. Decided the Jedi Order life wasn't for him, and went off freelancing it and became a Force wielding mercenary, bounty hunter or even a lone wolf Force-wielding injustice-fighter, like some kinda Marvel or DC superhero.

That gets you your SLJ back in SW. Depending on how mature they make the spinoffs (is R ever possible in anything with the name "Star Wars" attached?) maybe even get him spitting MFs everywhere.

15. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    As much as I loved Savage Opress, I fully expected for his relationship with Darth Maul to develop the way it did. After his transformation at the hands of the Nightsisters, he was never more than an essentially mindless brute carrying others' missions. The only goal he had at the time was to find Darth Maul, and once he did that, Maul being trained by Palpatine and all, Maul would naturally become the new mastermind telling Savage what to do all the time.

Taser Windu...I was totally against (even discussing) this idea, but if they name him Taser Windu, count me in! Or Mace could be the family name, and we could finally see Mace Windy! (Jedi from some of George's earliest Star Wars notes in the 70's.)

Iron_lord, Circular Logic and eht13 like this.
  16. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

That'd be lame.

17. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    What if Mace landed inside a speeder? :D hahaha

Nah, I think he should stay dead.

But I wouldn't HATE it, if he was brought back

18. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mace's head should be sitting on Palpatine's desk in his office. Whenever someone looks at it funny, The Emperor just says, "Yeah. That happened."

19. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm not vehemently against the idea of him showing up. But I maintain that any Jedi that do show up must be dead by the CT, specifically ROTJ, since Yoda states that Luke is the last of the Jedi.

No concrete figures of how many Jedi there are supposed to be before and after Order 66 were given in the films.

If I recall, there are supposed to be some 9,000 Jedi leading into The Clone Wars

Subtract x for the number killed during the war
    Subtract y for those killed during Order 66

I don't know how many would be left. And I don't really care it it's 10, 100, 200, 1,000 or 5,000 Jedi that survive into The Dark Times, it's just that they all have to die by ROTJ,

If they want to establish that 2,000 survivors made it through Order 66, allied with the fledgling Rebellion, then were annihilated in a massive battle to try and reclaim control of the Galaxy from the Empire, then that would be fine with me.

They could very well do that and handle it well. It would remind me of how Tokugawa Ieyasu became the de facto leader of Japan instead of Toyotomi Hideyori (who was heir but still a child at the time). About a decade later, Hideyori begins to raise an army and tries to challenge Tokugawa but loses.

As I said earlier, I would be indifferent to Mace surviving. It would really depend on how well they handled his survival and justified it. Whether or not I could accept it would really depend on that. I actually thought Maul had little justification for coming back, but TCW handled it well enough that I have accepted it and was almost completely sold on the idea.

Characters have survived worse than what happened to Mace. If they want to call him dead, that would be their safest bet. If they want to bring him back, I could maybe get on board with the idea. But he would definitely have to die at some point during the course of Rebels. And if they are going to start bringing characters back like that, I hope that they don't go overboard.

20. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I would love for Mace to come back, with the explanation that he landed in a speeder hauling a Hutt's water bed, so I can make another "I WON" thread and link to the "Did Mace survive after his fall?" thread in the PT forum.

That's what Star Wars is to me now.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    I dunno why people still cling to the "Yoda said Luke was the last" as some kind of sanctified fact that must be adhered to.

There are already a good half dozen or more Jedi who were still alive at the time of Yoda's death. Yoda was simply wrong. It wasn't the first time, by a long shot.

That said, if Mace came back, whatever he got up to, before the show was over I'd love to see him killed off for real by Boba Fett. To paraphrase Budd "Sidewinder" from Kill Bill... That guy deserves his revenge.

Mia Mesharad and Circular Logic like this.
  22. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003

A half dozen or so survivors of Order 66 perhaps, but were they actually Jedi that were trying to uphold peace and Justice and restore the Republic? I wouldn't think so, or else they'd be affiliated with the Rebellion, since that's exactly what the Rebels are trying to do.

Obi-Wan was on his way to help out before they stumbled upon the Death Star and he sacrificed himself. Yoda was not overtly associated with the Rebels, but took upon training Luke in the Jedi way. I thought it was confirmed that Rebels would have a Jedi presence (whether returning EU characters, movie characters, or original characters, I do not know); so I figure it likely that there will be Jedi affiliated with the Rebellion during the show. There are no Jedi still affiliated with the Rebellion by the time Luke enters the picture. Thus they must die or abandon the Rebel cause and go into hiding to save their own butts.

But at the time of Yoda's death, there did not seem to be any surviving individuals still trying to fulfill their duties as Jedi Knights.

23. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    THIS.

24. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    Yeah no to Mace getting dropped by Boba in a return to be quite frank that should never be much of fight if Mace starts anywhere close to melee range.

I must say though Maul opens the floodgates I mean even if I assume a lightsaber stopped the bleeding by cauterizing Maul shut. There still the fact he falls down a deep shaft and should die of dehydration at the bottom assuming he does not break all his bones on the way down. Mace at least he just has to land on a speeder not nearly as farfetched as I survived based on my hatred. I know Star Wars is Space Fantasy but its not so Magical that I can buy that answer. For Palpatine perhaps but he is suppose to be like an Eldritch Abomination so it fits better.

25. Darth Valkyrus

Apr 12, 2013
    Mace vs Jango could have gone either way if his jetpack hadn't malfunctioned at a critical moment.

In the EU Boba more or less beat Vader in a fight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.