main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    ROTS is SO unintentionally hilarious, every line of it. It's also my favorite movie.

I also think Empire Strikes Back has more than it's fair share of comedy, but for some reason people are reluctant to admit this.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  2. James Skyrunner

James Skyrunner Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    Im really starting to hate harrison ford I wish Disney would tell him that they really don't need him ..every interview I see him do hes making fun of starwars or saying he don't get it .I vote for a new Han solo

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  3. James Skyrunner

James Skyrunner Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 5, 2013
    I agree I really enjoyed the prequell trilogy people say they don't Like them because it the universe looks new and they don't take place in remote locations but that's the whole point behind them isn't it it the original trilogy was about the rebels being oh the run in a universe that was controlled by an empire that didn't care about it that's why it took place on the frontier and looked old and used ....I like the fact they did a prequel that explained how the universe got into the shape and they did a good job at it

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    R2 and C-3PO are hilarious in that movie.

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    THREEPIO: Sir, it's quite possible this asteroid is not entirely
    stable.

HAN: Not entirely stable? I'm glad you're here to tell us these
    things. Chewie, take the professor in the back and plug him into the
    hyperdrive.

THREEPIO: Oh! Sometimes I just don't understand human behavior. After
    all, I'm only trying to do my job in the most...

[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

6. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can't forget the successfully navigating an asteroid conversation, attacking a Star Destroyer conversation, and the negative power coupling conversation and the Han telling Chewie. Also wasn't Han and Leia's kiss interrupted by C-3PO?
    Also R2 and C-3PO as they are trying to escape Cloud City.

VanishingReality and Carbon1985 like this.
  7. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    Can't forget the successfully navigating an asteroid conversation, attacking a Star Destroyer conversation, and the negative power coupling conversation and the Han telling Chewie. Also wasn't Han and Leia's kiss interrupted by C-3PO?
    Also R2 and C-3PO as they are trying to escape Cloud City.[/quote]

=D=

Still love Han's look the first time C3PO boards the Millenium Falcon in ANH and says, "Hello Sir!" And Han just rolls his eyes. [face_laugh]

8. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Oh, I have one more. The podrace. There seems to be a lot of dissatisfaction with its length and whatever. Well, I personally love it! The sounds of the pods and their engies are just so freakin' awesome. I'm a huge motorhead, so that might have something to do with my liking of the sequence. The whole thing is just a great rollercoaster for me.

9. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    See, I don't get this complaint, either. The battle droids are quite toyish, but not completely non-threatening. Kinda like the way stormtroopers look like what they are: men in white plastic, bumbling around like keystone cops. In terms of basic threat level, I'd say the two sets of antagonists come up about the same, except the battle droids are a forerunner to the stormtroopers, so you might expect them to be inferior physical opponents. If, on the other hand, you're talking in terms of how the battle droids look and sound, rather than merely fight, well, I still don't get the complaint, truth be told. Sure, they're a little goofy and inept, but not so much that they can't accomplish anything. As robot slaves, they're kinda being held back -- deliberately, I'd say -- by a limited design, to prevent a major uprising. And they're clearly a mechanized equivalent of the Gungan race. Just think of it: the Jedi killing thousands of Jar Jars, over and over again. It makes a tangible visual sense. At least, to me.

Andy Wylde and VanishingReality like this.
  10. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I'm talking about the personalities. Their look and threat level is alright, but they are not believable as soldier droids. If you are building a droid army the droids are not going to act goofy. They are going to be efficient and to the point. They would be more like the super battle droids. I can believe an organic being can be a little goofy as a soldier, but a droid no.

Sarge likes this.
  11. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    The personality traits they have might be a measure of the tasks they're given -- a hint of their self-awareness at the drudgery of what it is they're made to perform and suffer through. Super battle droids are clearly the school-yard bullies of the battle droid world. I would speculate that they're both made from the same basic parts and information processors. In other words, their goofiness (even the "supers" are a little goofy in ROTS), in the contexts they're put to work in, is also an inevitable consequence of their droid programming, and it cannot be completely erased. Droids in SW tend to exude a bit of 'tude.

12. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    One of the old criticisms of the originals was how the robots had more personality than the people. An unfair slander, but Star Wars has always played with this idea.....do androids dream of electric sheep? Sentience, etc.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Komodo9Joe

Komodo9Joe Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 1, 2013
    I have one... I find Jar Jar to be hilarious!

14. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    I was wondering, if a number of people on here share an unpopular opinion, does that mean that the opinion is still unpopular?

15. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I completely agree. The podrace alone was worth the ticket price for the 3D release of TPM last year.

16. Carbon1985

Apr 23, 2013
    I always took this thread to be 'among your peers' and how your opinion was unpopular among them. I always hesitate to grant any opinion on the internet an overwhelming majority, simply because you never know if people have sock accounts, or some people are just trolling with their posts.

17. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    This is really my first encounter with a mass-gathering of fans. I have only 1 Star Wars fan in real life, so I don't know what's popular and what's not, but I have learned a lot being on for these past few weeks.

18. Michael Skywalker

Michael Skywalker Jedi Padawan

Oct 7, 2013
    George Lucas does not deserve the grief he gets from Mark Kermode. I was watching an interview Mark did about Revenge of The Sith where he said George's writing skills were inferior to the writing skills of preschool kids, have to say if this man actually believes that he must have very high expectations of preschool writers. Heck I know plenty of people whom writing isn't their strong point but I don't know anyone over the age of 5 who is THAT bad.

19. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Last time I checked, Mark Kermode hasn't created anything that has inspired a generation.

There's still time, Mark! Get off your Kermode and start working!

20. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    This is a guy who called Batman 89 a pantomime... I'll say no more

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  21. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Eh, Batman 89 was honestly overrated.

22. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Fair enough, But for me its the best batman film... Yes it's better than the dark knight

23. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    I love that whole "you were right about one thing master" (look) "the negotiations were short" bit. I thought it timed well.

24. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    -I think the PT, if watched prior to the CT, ruins much of what made ESB great. The charm of Yoda and finding out that he's a Jedi Master is ruined in TPM and the "I am your father" twist is ruined in ROTS. Watching the movies in numerical order should never be done for a first time viewer, IMO

-Palpatine's rise to power was a bit disappointing and I wish they had made his rise more like that of Julius Caesar. Someone that ticks off the Senate but has the support of the people. Not someone that the Senate loves.

-Qui-Gon Jinn shouldn't have existed and Obi-Wan should have been the one to find Anakin and have faith in him and fight for him to be trained as a Jedi

-The prequels needed fewer villains

-I prefer the toned down powers of General Grievous to the flashy Jedi-killing abilities of the microseries

-ANH is more enjoyable than ESB

25. Michael Skywalker

Michael Skywalker Jedi Padawan

Oct 7, 2013
    @ TaradosGon : those opinions are actually quite popular, with the exception of being disappointed with Palpatine's rise to power and ANH being more enjoyable than ESB.

I actually have mixed feelings about the whole argument prequels are pointless and spoil the wonder of what happened before, particularly in relation to SW. On one hand I do like ROTS, and it was cool to see Obi-Wan and Anakin's battle with Anakin burning to a crisp as the cherry on top, but Darth Vader's revelation is meant to be the most surprising aspect of the series. Ideally the OT should be viewed before the PT, but alas there will always be people viewing them chronologically due to the "Episode" titles.