main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    They're dancing! How cute!

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I could see it being cool when you're 9, but Kenobi twirling and Maul flipping for no reason............ugh....

Skywalker Thing likes this.
  3. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    the twirling is all about anticipation, deception and reading out our opponent, a lot of martial artists do it in different styles. Maul was up against two people so he took his advantage flipping away and opening the door, expanding his surroundings and trying to increase his chances of defeating the two jedi,

4. DarthBellikose

DarthBellikose Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2003
    The Darth Maul duel was still Nick's choreography work that Ray was performing, my thoughts were more along the lines of would Ray Park make a good replacement for Nick? He was involved in TPM and he has the knowledge and experience to take up the role and he's expressed an interest in returning to the ST. It may fit well...
    Everything is proceeding to plan as I have foreseen ;)

5. markn74

markn74 Jedi Padawan

Sep 5, 2013
    Definitely a mix between the 2. The TESB battle is the greatest out of all of them but Maul is no easy beat. Like earlier posts, the sense of weight I think is the real key. The blades are suppose to draw together like magnates and in the PT they looked like sticks hitting each other. The OB1 - Anakin duel in ROTS starts well but the surrounds become less real and more blue screen like, so the intensity is not felt as much. I hope we have a more real/earthy sense to the fights with not so much shine to them.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I hated all of the unnecessary Force-flipping! Why couldn't Luke just jump straight back onto the skiff like a normal person? And that random flip away from Vader on the Death Star 2 when he could have just leapt without all of the extracurricular nonsense... what? did you think this was going to be about the prequels? They were just following a precedent set by the equally corny OT. :-B

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Luke flipped to get up to the catwalk, Maul flipped for what purpose? walking or running would've got him closer to the door than that needless twirl. Great in figure skating, pointless in the duel.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke could have jumped straight to the catwalk with no less obstacles in his path than when he jumped out of the carbon freezing chamber. Completely excessive. There is just so much pointless action to whine about in these Star Wars films.

9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I wasn't whining about it, just said I hope there is less of it in the ST.

What Luke did in Empire was jump up and hold onto something. No need to flip. What he did in Jedi required the flip since he had to arc backwards. Similar to Anakin in AotC or Maul in TPM when he jumps backwards to the other walkway.

Maul's flip in the gif was pointless. Those are what I was referring to.

Granger likes this.
  10. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    No flipping. Save that for the PT OT Saga.

11. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Not really

12. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    elaborate

13. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Ahhh I take it you didn't see my last reply: the twirling is all about anticipation, deception and reading out our opponent, a lot of martial artists do it in different styles. Maul was up against two people so he took his advantage flipping away and opening the door, expanding his surroundings and trying to increase his chances of defeating the two jedi. Besides martial arts in films has always been about flash. Brandon Lee once stated that real martial arts is ugly

VMeran and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    I saw that response. I understand the use of movement within a martial art to try to anticipate and cause deception. I have no problem when it is used as such during the duel. The spin as he was moving toward the door did neither of these as engagement was broken. Obi's twirling at that point was in the same category as neither deceptive or anticipatory. When he does it later on during the duel it is. (What he and Anakin were doing is ridiculous in any event).

It's like when Kenobi starts running for the red doors, he twirls his lightsaber. Who is he trying to read, deceive, or anticipate at that point?

15. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Maybe he's psyching himself up... Martial artists do weird and wonderful things... its just those niche's they have, as for Maul, as I said he's trying to escape and expand his surroundings he's up against two skilled jedi. Add in the fact he's a Sith Lord, underneath all that machismo they're cowards :p) maybe he thought simple running wouldn't enough and by flipping he would make extra ground. You also have to look at Maul style, he's like a wild unpredictable beast and very unorthodox compared to any ordinary jedi (or sith compare to Dooku)

VMeran and Episode Swag like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah, I saw the flipping as quickly gaining distance from his opponent. The Obi-Wan twirling is something Ewan McGregor did excessively in all of the films. Still, the Maul battle is tied with ESB as my favorite duel in the Saga, so I really have no negative criticism of it.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Maul's flips were definitely tactical. Cannot say that for any other duel, as the others were not necessarily done with a specific nod to martial arts in their style, but Maul's intent in doing flips has roots in Aikido and similarly defensive minded disciplines.

18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope all of the fights are like the Kirk vs. Gorn fight from the original Trek.

19. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    maul's flip in the gif serves no tactical purpose. He could've gained more distance by running

20. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    flip covered greater distance in less time with one leap than running alone, he got himself in a safe distance, and he managed to make more space by opening the door.

21. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    I get what you're saying, it's kinda like if you put to much focus on one area of a painting, how it detracts from seeing the bigger picture. The flashiness of some of the movements within certain PT scenes were focused on catching the eye, thus in doing so sometimes they may have tended to lose a little something; a give and take.

Imo I liken the battle sequences to something akin to the Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris fight in Way of the Dragon. As the battle rages on, Bruce Lee and Chuck Norris switch battle poses, and fighting styles frequently as if testing each other...perhaps even taunting each other as a bit of the proverbial warrior's pride begins to rear its' head. I always figured that's what the fight scenes in the PT showcase, as it seems that the Jedi and Sith are constantly testing, baiting each other. The flips are perhaps showboating, or perhaps an alternating of fighting styles amidst the battle itself, with Kenobi's twirling possibly an example of this as well. A warrior's pride, again rearing its' head.

Honestly, I always thought it was more realistic than not because let's face it, if I were a Jedi or Sith, I would be waving the lightsaber around madly for no particular reason too, ha.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    At least we know who in our community has studied Aikido. Spinning is infinitely more tactical than running because it keeps you facing the opponent. But, I must admit my rank never went past red belt.

23. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    I would love to see them get someone like Hiroshi Kuze to coordinate the fights. His work on Twilight Samurai was minimalist compared with a lot of Star Wars stuff but it was full of pregnant pauses, was emotionally meaningful in the context of the film and you can feel the tension as the actors respect the danger of their opponents weapons. I don't know if it will come across out of its context in the film but something reluctant like this might be a good style for Luke (and it's not without a little acrobatics):

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I adore Twilight Samurai.

Granger likes this.
  25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Well now since I finally saw it, I want every single fight scene to be like the ones from Street Fighter: The Movie. A landmark in cinema.

VMeran likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.