main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

What is the point of Star Wars Black (6 inch)?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Barbecue17, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    OK, calm down! I get that the point is awesome figures in a larger scale that allows for more detail! I own them all and love most of them all (Leia's a bit iffy). I'm asking the question, "What is Hasbro philosophy with these?"

Looking at most figures from series 1 and 2, it would seem that Hasbro was pretty dedicated to releasing a figure that was definitive for the character. With the Sandtrooper, you got three different weapons (granted, they could still do released with different colored shoulder pads); Maul came with both his cloaked and uncloaked looks and with the ability to have a split saber. R2-D2 was pretty versatile for nearly any scene in any of the films. Han's a pretty definitive EpIV Han with his Falcon gunner's gloves and Stormtrooper belt.

Here comes series 3, though: ROTS Obi-Wan, however, and he has no cloak. Bespin doesn't have a beat up face or a missing hand. With the smaller figures minor variants seemed like part of the game, but that doesn't seem as feasible with the 6 inch figures. Do you think series 3 is a fluke or is Hasbro going to try and release variants of characters (beat up Bespin Luke, "cloaked" Ep III Obi-Wan) to pad the line and recoup the unique tooling costs?

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    After seeing the Bespin Luke I thought about that my self. There are some figures that lend themselves to variants because their condition changes over the course of the movie; Bespin Luke, Hoth Luke, ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan. And if this line is a hit I think we can count on seeing them slipped in to waves down the road. I was really pleased that they added such value to the Han Solo figure with the Stormtrooper belt and rifle. I hope they keep that up and don't try to milk things by holding back a few a accessories with the first release just so they can slip them in later and call it a "new" figure.

3. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Yeah, that's absolutely my concern. I think Star Wars Black can be really fragile, but it's also a bit fragile. The figures are pretty expensive and in a completely new scale. I know that I personally would not want to buy a minor variant of a character I already owned. I'm completely OK buying Farmboy Luke, Jabba's Palace Jedi Luke, etc, but I don't want to buy Farmboy Luke with Poncho, Farmboy Luke with Floppy Hat, Farmboy Luke with Stormtrooper belt. I think Han was handled perfectly and from some other forums and talking with friends, I see some people nervous about series 3.

4. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Exactly. I really hope that Han is the rule and not the exception, but I get the sneaking suspicion that they front-loaded the series with value added figures to entice people. Re-tooling figures has long been a tactic with the 3 3/4" line, so I can only imagine economic realities will force them to do the same here.

Using the farmboy Luke as an example, I can see them releasing him initially w/floppy hat, binoculars, long rifle, etc., and then down the road re-issuing the same figure with the Stormtrooper belt and maybe the flight helmet and seeker droid from the Falcon, but sans the Tattooine accesories, as "Death Star Luke".