main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST ST lightsaber battles. Mirror PT or OT?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by therealharvywallbanger, Oct 30, 2013.

?

Should ST lightsaber battles resemble the OT or the PT? You have to pic one

1. OT

120 vote(s)
    45.1%
  2. PT

146 vote(s)
    54.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Haven't seen it yet. Been meaning to, and now I definitely will.

2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    ??? Excuse me? The flip got him less than 5 feet. He surely could've jogged further.

The flip didn't open the door, using the force to throw a droid part at the panel did. No problem with this, tactical sense. Theflip beforehand none at all.

??? How exactly was he facing his opponent while he was spinning in the air? Leaving the ground in that instance left him more open and less focused on his opponent.

You can run backwards or sideways while keeping your eyes on your opponent.

Come on guys, let's be real. It was done for the flash, pure and simple.

Granger likes this.
  3. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    Although it wasn't me who wrote that I agree with everything you said :p. Nice comparison you put there with Bruce and Chuck truly an epic duel for the ages :).

Yes I know he used the force to open the door, the thing is at the end of the day flash or not Maul got to a safe position, maybe he thought simple running or jogging the jedi would have caught up with him, the jedi themselves were overwhelmed at times to to his flash and unpredictable style anyways. I mean look at Vader at ROTJ he was running back to make cover but Luke overwhelmed him. Beside unorthodox and unpredictability shouldn't be underestimated in a fight.

You want to see unnecessary flips... just watch this, this is quite ironic seeing that was Ray Park as well

4. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    There you go. Evidence Ray Park puts in unnecessary flips. Looks cool, but pointless and not needed in the ST duels.

Please don't compare what Bruce and Chuck did in that iconic fight to Maul's flip here. It was pointless and unnecessary. Flash for flash sake, and something that doesn't need to be in the ST.

Let me stress, it's not the flips or lightsaber twirls themselves. Some served a purpose, and others were only there for flash. My opinion is that the ones solely in place for flash don't need to be there.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Not that you are actually interested in understanding this, but in martial arts, spinning and flipping are used to put space between oneself and an opponent while not completely taking your eyes off of them, like say, turning and running away.

6. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    Yes but what I was pointing out was the flip in TPM was necessary while the flips you saw in the vid was long, dull and served no purpose. At the end of the day there will be flash in fight scenes heck even the bourne films there was a sense of a cool appeal there. Like Brandon Lee said real martial fights ain't pretty and if there were in films: they wouldn't look appealing, and they wouldn't last long like the duel in TESB.

VMeran likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    Not like you are actually interested in understanding this, but people can run without turning around. Athletes (including martial artists) run backwards and sideways all the time, in every sport, without taking their eyes off of an opponent or the ball.

What Maul did, in this instance, put less than 5' between him and Kenobi and caused him to take his eyes off of his opponent. Simply running backwards or sideways would've put far more distance between him and his opponents.

8. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Sport. Not a battlefield with random bits of debris (y'know...like what he telekinesed to open the door) to potentially trip over.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  9. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    good try, except he didn't flip over any debris and there wasn't much there if you watch the scene. It was a pristine hangar with a few destroyed droids, not exactly a battlefield

10. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Blah blah blah If I don't have firsthand experience with it it must be stupid. We were being nice, letting you burn page after page bashing the PT. At this point just quit trolling and find something else to talk about.

11. Darth Raiden

Aug 28, 2013
    But not every martial artist is the same, I know one person who competed and utilse very unorthdox and flasy techniques in most of his bouts but he's ended up being a multiple world champion.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Stop talking in circles with each other. He doesn't care.

13. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

No they aren't.

T-R- likes this.
  14. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Like I said, I only rank at red belt. Where are you at in your Aikido studies?

15. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    You are correct, I don't have 1st hand experience with the wushu, the martial art that Ray Park studies, but neither do you. Aikido is nothing like wushu in either style or technique. So please don't act the patronizing expert as we have the same level of knowledge.

Then there is the fact that I was not bashing the PT, I didn't even bash the style, all I said was that I prefer that unnecessary and pointless flips not be included in the ST. That's all i said.

You and others then proceeded to burn page after page trying to justify the flip as a tactical move, all the while being snarky.

I find it funny a MOD, such as yourself, tells me to stop trolling when YOU said "Not like you are actually interested in understanding this"

That's a pretty hard troll comment right there, coming from a mod no less.

This quote of yours could be considered trolling as well:

16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  17. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Or satire. Since, you know... I'm not the one in here with an agenda.

Wushu is a defensive discipline. Similar to Aikido, which is why I clearly emphasized multiple defensive martial art forms during this conversation. But, let's not let informed opinions get in the way of simply opining.

18. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Don't we have a PT basher's sanctuary?

19. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I have a black belt in Gojo Karate, Chito-Ryu Karate, I'm working on my black in Kubudo. I'm a level 1 boxing instructor. And I've done/do training in Kung Fu, Jeet Kune Do, Mai Tai, Judo and Ju Justisu.

In no martial art would you EVER do a flip or a spin to create space and distance. They are moves that take time to preform, and if you must create distance you probably don't have that time. They are also dangerous, as a spin puts you in a vunerable position, and a flip can be missed. A simple step back, to the side or forward accomplished the game goal with none of the draw backs, and you never have to take your eyes off the other person.

20. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    They aren't content to stay there, unfortunately.

Now, this is more like it. Congrats on the ranks. That is quite a commitment. Flips can certainly miss, but are taught. And, spinning is taught in our class for blocks and throws. Probably never going to use them in an actual defensive situation, but momentum has been the primary emphasis with it.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You'd think over a decade later, they'd die out. Do we still have people bellyache about Wild Wild West or Battlefield Earth on the message boards over and over?

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    No, but only because the trolls have no audience to actually feed on with those films. But, lets' not derail this thread with site politics.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    *ahem* Well as I've said before, I hope the duels find a nice balance between OT style and PT style, but please don't make it like the geriatric one from ANH.

VMeran, Pro Scoundrel , Ryus and 2 others like this.
  24. sluggo1313.

Aug 23, 2013

I've trained in 5 different schools and many more different teachers, and never once between taught a flip in martial arts, because it isn't martial arts is gymnastics.

Spinning is taught for certain offense moves (spinning kicks being the most common) but they aren't moves that are done in "real" situation (similar to teaching moves using the chamber hand). But even in that enviroment, they are not for movement.

To bring it back to the gif above - Mauls twirl/flip is completely....fluff. It serves no purpose at all. But its a movie. I prefer less fluff myself, but it doesn't ruin it for me either.

T-R- likes this.
  25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I don't want to derail this with our personal training, so if you want, PM me. If you are remotely close to Philly, I would gladly attend if you have any matches or exhibitions. Kubudo is fascinating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.