main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I never hated The Wizard of Oz until my Brother married someone for whom watching it is a Thanksgiving Day tradition. So in about 6 days I get to watch it for the fifth straight year. *yay* [face_plain] .

I didn't much care for Oz the Great and Powerful either. Truth be told, if I'm going to spend any time in that particular world I'll do with Fairuza Balk in the underrated and overlooked Return to Oz.

2. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    There's always The Wiz.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  3. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    The Lion in Winter (2003) - This is technically a miniseries, but the DVD plays it as a movie so eh, whatever, I'm posting it here. I actually prefer this version to the 1968 original. Not necessarily better; there are parts where each outdoes the other, but in the final analysis I prefer this version. Patrick Stewart is awesome as Henry (which is not at all surprising; I'm not sure the man is even capable of putting in a bad performance), but Glenn Close is absolutely incredible as Eleanor. Her performance alone is worth the watch. The rest of the cast back them up ably, and the set design and production values are all top notch. 10/10

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  4. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Wiz is aptly named, as it's akin to that particular bodily fluid, but I swear I'll have "Ease on down, ease on down the rooooooad!" in my head all day now :p.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I just don't know how any rational person can have any reaction to the Cowardly Lion other than intense annoyance and the urge to commit murder. Jar Jar and Ruby Rhodd got nothin' on that guy; he is genuinely the most annoying character I've ever seen in a movie.

"If IIIIIIIII were the kiiiing of the fooreeeeeessssssttttttt groooooowwwwwfffff snaraaaaaaarrrrff" WHAT THE HELL IS THIS DO YOU WANT TO DIE

6. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    I am so relieved to know I'm not alone in my hatred of The Wizard of Oz.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    If I were going to try and boil down everything that's wrong with this movie into a single moment, it would be when the Lollipop Guild come twerking out with their little jingle. Why do their faces look like that?! They're the Lollipop Guild, not the Sourpatch Guild.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am a lifelong dork for Baum's books. I unashamedly adore Oz the Great and Powerful while condemning that garish MGM celluloid abomination. I much prefer the 1925 silent film of the same name.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I remember seeing Return to Oz all those years ago and was delighted by the style and aesthetic on display over the technicolor musical pukefest that is the Judy Garland film. I think you have to be a mindless two year old in order to enjoy "The Wizard of Oz"; you couldn't pay me enough to make me sit through that thing in my old age.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved Return to Oz as pure nightmare fuel and a gigantic middle finger to the saccharine tripe of the '39 version.

11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I found all the characters annoying, but you just described my reaction to Dorothy.

STFU and click your heels together you whiny little *****.

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  12. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  13. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Isn't Oz The Great And Powerful just Sam Raimi doing a remake of Army of Darkness?

*Maddox*

14. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That is definitely a close second. "WE REPRESENT THE LOLLIPOP GUILD THE LOLLIPOP GUILD THE LOLLI -" *Rogue1-and-a-half begins laughing derisively and can't stop*

Also, I love that this thread has no turned into a huge bashfest of The Wizard of Oz. I wish Zaz was here to see this; he always tried to make me think I was weird to not like it.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  16. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I have to say, I loved it at first as a kid, growing up I despise it. But now, I absouteley love how awful it is except for Raul Julia, he literally is the best thing about the movie

Anyways last movie I watch

Superman (1978)

Well what can I say, best comic book movie in my opinion, an awesome ensemble cast, effects still hold up, snappy writing and memorable performances.
    The scene when Clark bidding an emotional farewell to his mother, to going to the North Pole, to meeting his father for the very first time, the training and then finally flying out of the Fortress, is one of the finest pieces of movie making and its that powerful tense thanks to John Williams epic music. Anyways full 5 stars, this movie is still the undisputed Superman film.

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    One thing I don't understand is the fact that people bash SF, yet they revel in Mortal Kombat: The Movie? Both are equally "awesome".

18. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Batman

Burton and his crew put a lot more effort in than Nolan and his. First of all I enjoy the whole movie. Gotham City is Gotham City. The action is filmed and edited better. The design and production are better. Keaton is way more interesting. The tone of the concept, story and visuals all match.

Darth Raiden likes this.
  19. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I've loved Mortal Kombat so I have a right to defend how cool it is... the fight scenes for a Hollywood movie are well choreographed. A for street fighter yeah it aint that bad at (well nowdays I think) compare it to Mortal Kombat annihilation or street fighter the legend of chun li [face_sick]

20. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    The episode of Full House when Kimmie Gibbler annoys DJ.

Juke Skywalker and CT-867-5309 like this.
  21. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Not really. Mortal Kombat is legitimately awesome, SF is just horribly bad with the only redeeming quality being Raul Julia's legendary camp performance.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    OF COURSE

23. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    The Wizard of Odd

24. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004

I never saw Mortal Kombat, but Street Fighter was a trainwreck. Really incredibly terrible movie.

25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    FTFY

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.