main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

OOC Out of Bounds (The ELL OOC Thread)

Discussion in 'Role Playing Resource' started by Trieste, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    *Is disappointed there is no mention of a Fett Conference* :p

I know it is all hypothetical right now, but would it be 4 equal conferences or would we be going to 4 divisions split up among the 2 existing conferences? Just trying to see how playoffs would work.

[​IMG]

2. CPL_Macja

CPL_Macja Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 29, 2008
    Don't you mean 2 conferences divided into 4 divisions :p

Semantics :D

Sent from a Galaxy far away via R2-N6

3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    You know me, I am always up for some antics. ;)

[​IMG]

4. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    Was waiting for that one

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    Chewbacca Conference for me! :p

6. Trieste

Trieste Chosen One star 6

Apr 10, 2010
    I knew you were going to be. ;)
    It depends. If we went with home-and-aways within your division, that's 6 game divisional schedule. However, if we didn't have conferences you could do that plus one game against one team from each division.

Or we could drop divisions, have 8 team conferences (7 game conference schedule). You get 2 or 3 games against opponents from the other conference.

Or we could have four 4 team conferences (3 game conference schedule). Then you get a complex rotation of teams from the other three conferences, likely a 6 game schedule where you see two teams from each of the other conferences.

Or we just do our current 12 team league, two 6 team conferences (5 game conference schedule), 4 game non-conference.

Or we go to a 14 team league, two 7 team conferences (6 game conference schedule), 3 game non-conference.

The variations are endless! And all of them probably result in the Miners losing. :p

Bardan_Jusik and Rebecca_Daniels like this.
  7. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    I'm probably the only vote to keep Corellia up... but it doesn't matter that much. Just skew slightly with a plot you haven't seen yet. I'm fine regardless of the decision.

CPL_Macja likes this.
  8. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    They'll be here for the remainder of the season, so it'd only be if you were planning further down the road. Which I think a lot of us are. ;)

9. Rebecca_Daniels

Rebecca_Daniels Force Ghost star 5

Sep 3, 2006
    Yep, was thinking down the road too. But I can already think of ways to work with it, can't guarantee any team stays up these days. :p

10. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    North American sport league stability? Bah! This is the Star Wars galaxy. Entropy reigns supreme!

11. CPL_Macja

Nov 29, 2008
    My vote is this....

* Keep the current NPCs.
    * Add the three Newbies and an additional NPC.
    * Keep the current conference alignment.
    * Add two of the PC teams to the Solo conference and the other PC and the NPC to the Skywalker.
    * Divide the conferences into two Divisions.
    * Each division consists of three PC and one NPC team.
    * Each team plays their division opponents twice, one conference/non-division opponent and two non-conference opponents.

This is assuming we stay at a 9 week season and don't expand to 12 weeks. If we lengthen the season the only change is that you would play all four conference/non-division opponents.

Playoffs can be discussed after alignment is agreed upon.

12. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    I'd thought about that idea as well. Things would get very competitive for who is in what division. If you don't get in that division, unless you use friendlies to make up the difference you will very rarely see teams outside of your division. For example, I would see Nar Shaddaa once every four years is my estimate. That does not fly with me. Also, we've had problems in the past where teams drop off the map midseason and that dampens overall activity in that conference. It's why Mando'ade and Nar Shaddaa moved to the Skywalker Conference. Now let's assume that your RPing interactions are dependent on two other teams in your division, plus let's say a two other player teams in your non-division schedule. That's 6 interactions Let's say one of the division opponents drops out. Now you've just had your interactions cut by 33%. That stinks. At this time, I am not on board with playing conference or divisional opponents twice in one season. I would vastly prefer that you see more teams in a season than the same team twice. I think the game will become too insular and really cut back on the opportunities for interactions with more people.

If conversations are to be had on the point, I figured some people might appreciate knowing where I'm not interested in making changes. :)

13. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I'd rather do conferences than divisions and not see major rivals more than once every four years. Friendlies are no substitutes for real counting rivalry games.

As far as NPC teams, get rid of Corellia if and when that needs to occur, and then Hapes. Chandrila must stay because of the opportunity for all of us to punch Reina Keither in the face. :p

And Mr. Nalcrissan approves of the Calrissian Conference name. :D

14. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    "Ondal!"

"Is that a planet?"

"No, it's a conference." :p

Sorry, had to throw in that Superbothan reference. Also, I can't wait for your next installment because I'm pretty sure that his upcoming battle with the crazed (and likely bald) Rex Kethor will be epic. [face_laugh]

15. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    *Makes notes in the Gunny Secret Notebook* [face_mischief]

Actually, I'm keeping the Superbothan stuff out of the game thread. I've used it already, so no need to bring it back here except as a very fleeting reference.

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    If we go with four separate conferences, how will the All-Star Game work? I imagine that some celebrity would randomly draw conferences to pair up two conferences with each other, so one year we might see A/B vs. C/D and the next might be A/C vs. B/D. This could be done on a live ELL Network broadcast.

17. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    In a real world situation, we could go to the NHL and now NFL style of the two highest vote getters (which this year would have been Christine Gamble and either Wai Lin or Corvo Antilles) serving as captains and doing a backyard draft. However, we don't really have the time to do that. Your idea where there's some random combination like that could work for sure.

18. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    In RL, multiple divisions play in the same overall conference (which would add divisional and conference playoffs to the mix). Therefore, even though some teams wouldn't be in your division, they are still in your conference.

Besides, let's see how these how many people actually sign up for the game before getting too far into this. Nothing is set in stone just yet.

19. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    No, everything is set in stone! I am going to chisel it all down onto these stone tablets right now. See? In stone. It's not like anyone in this game could break them.

[​IMG]

*looks at tiny stone pieces in wake of Cundertolness*

So about that whole setting in stone thing...

Vehn and jcgoble3 like this.
  20. Vehn

Vehn Force Ghost star 4

Sep 14, 2009
    *Head spins*

Wowza! Not sure what to say. Uh, Corellia should be dropped, can we keep two conferences and just add teams or is that too complicated?

21. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    No, we could do that pretty easily. ;)

jcgoble3 likes this.
  22. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    So, when do we find out who these new players/teams are? We might as well have enough time to bow down to them before they blow by us in the playoffs on their way to an inaugural season Galactic Cup title. :oops:

Trieste and jcgoble3 like this.
  23. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    [face_laugh]

24. Jedi Gunny

May 20, 2008
    Anyways, update on my end of things: I may not be able to do Power Rankings this week. That means there might have to be a Double-Stuffed Thanksgiving Rankings next week (hopefully Triptophan-free).

25. Trieste

Apr 10, 2010
    jcgoble3 your "probables" and "questionables" are messing up my fantasy limmie league. ;)

Jedi Gunny and jcgoble3 like this.