main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Ah, but LotR's is a speshal magic oh-so-perfect paragon of cinematic perfection made by that Gentle Genius Sir Peter "Geek Bless Him" Jackson, The Great & Sainted Chosen One. Those (grrrrr!!!!) awful nasty rotten terrible Jar Jar filled prequel things are the reason we have poverty, disease, war and erectile dysfunction in the world and they were made by He Who Shall Not Be Named, the Accursed One. Big difference.

Oh and for the record: almost from the beginning of the TPM doco people are giving GL 'negative' feedback, starting with John Knoll. GL and RM congratulated him and gave him a promotion. But maybe I imagined that part . . .

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree - I see absolutely no evidence to suggest that Lucas is an autocrat and hires only 'yes men'... quite the reverse in fact. I think what's more likely is that those without a really strong opinion on something probably defer to Lucas' (given that this is the man who created Star Wars and helped shape popular cinema). However, saying that, the documentary evidence seems to show colleagues/collaborators speaking their mind.

3. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I agree, although the ROTJ story conferences indicate that Marquand had nothing to offer but praise or agreement to anything the others said. Kasdan really pushed Lucas here and there, but it's Lucas' vision and he has the make the final call. As it should be.

4. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013

One thing I will thank Marquand was his suggestion to cast Ian Mcdiarmid as Sidious :)

5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
  6. Ganger

Ganger Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Jetedonne Pur-Pureus likes this.
  7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    didn't he also suggest some major points for Luke's rescue of Han, such as R2 smuggling in Luke's lightsaber?

Darth Raiden likes this.
  8. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Jetedonne Pur-Pureus likes this.
  9. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Hey Marquand talked GL out of cutting the Ewoks. That makes him a God in my book!

10. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Aw, they're still Jar Jar bashing after 14 years. How . . . sad. I wonder how many people will be asking the new director of Star Trek 33 how they will kill off Keenser.

11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, that's a great question! ;)

The-Eternal-Hero likes this.
  12. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    "Yep, yep, yep...yep".
    [​IMG]
    Sadly, I don't even think that fans loathe Jar Jar as much as they claim, as unfortunately he is just a tiny part of a much larger scale hatred aimed at many people's disposition to the prequel trilogy, and sadly I don't even think that fans despise that as much as they claim, as unfortunately the PT as a concept just didn't match up with other fans' fan-fiction...'twas all a downward spiral, doomed to fail from the get-go because of nearly insurmountable expectations.

13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wish people still bashed Tom Bombadil.

14. The-Eternal-Hero

Nov 3, 2012
    Aw, they're still Jar Jar bashing after 14 years. How . . . sad. I wonder how many people will be asking the new director of Star Trek 33 how they will kill off Keenser.[/quote]

Sadly, I don't even think that fans loathe Jar Jar as much as they claim, as unfortunately he is just a tiny part of a much larger scale hatred aimed at many people's disposition to the prequel trilogy, and sadly I don't even think that fans despise that as much as they claim, as unfortunately the PT as a concept just didn't match up with other fans' fan-fiction...'twas all a downward spiral, doomed to fail from the get-go because of nearly insurmountable expectations.[/quote]

I agree with much of what you say especially that the Jar Jar venom is part of a bigger parcel. However, I don't ever want to give the impression that I think GL isn't to blame for some of the PT's lack of success with certain audiences: his strengths are not as a dramatist and he really left the audience behind in some crucial areas in his pursuit of so many different aims (all of which are interesting to me) when his big target was A Good Story Satisfyingly Told. However, having said that, if audiences are expecting well told, satisfying story from JJA . . . yeah, I'll just leave that alone . . .

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    It really depends on the script. JJ's usual writers are terrible, but they're nowhere near this thing. I trust that Kasdan still has it where it counts.

16. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    "By any means necessary." :D

TKT likes this.
  17. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    Absolutely. GL himself has stated time and again that he isn't a writer. He's more of a dreamer, conjuring up idea after idea, but famously doing so as if on a whim, during the course of production, which as you said left some notable inconsistencies in the plot. Having said that though, I feel it's worth mentioning that there has been a single instance in which GL hasn't been at the helm of a Star Wars film, and that was The Holiday Special. So let's just hope that JJA can accomplish something less ill begotten than THS.

Oh, I trust that he does. Hunger Games: Catching Fire is still receiving rave reviews, and great box-office success at present, and as such it would seem Kasdan still rocks.

18. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Kasdan didn't write Hunger Games: Catching Fire. That was Arndt... who they fired. :(

Darth PJ and Immortiss like this.
  19. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah.[face_sigh]

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  20. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    He did... Well that just makes him even more awesome :)

T-R- likes this.
  21. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Michael Arndt didn't eat his apple.:(

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    "Before I even came onto the project, they were talking about 2015, and they made this announcement very early on, which I understand. I understand why they'd want that, but it didn't necessarily have anything to do with the reality of where anything was creatively."

Yeah, the vibe I get from that is apparently the whole Lucas-overseen pre-production on Episode 7 pre-Disney sale wasn't as quite deep as we all thought since they're taking another whack at the script.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Evidence?

T-R-, Darth_Pevra, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.