main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion The Saga & the Sequels: Role of the Skywalker family

Discussion in 'Star Wars: New Films - No Spoilers Allowed' started by Garth Maul, Aug 8, 2013.

1. The Bops

The Bops Jedi Master star 2

Oct 30, 2012
    I'M SO BORED!!

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  2. Bravesteel

Bravesteel Jedi Knight

Jul 31, 2013
    I'd rather see almost entirely new heroes. Reason being, I feel like the universe would fall into stagnation like in Dragonlance where the only stories that seemed to have any effort put into them had the Heroes of the Lance or their descendants in a prime role in one way or another. I'd just like to see someone completely new.

3. JediGirl_Angelina

JediGirl_Angelina Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 12, 2003
    I could very well see Luke rather nurturing all the Force-sensitives as his "children" he mets in his life rather to have one biologically.

4. dva3842

dva3842 Jedi Master star 1

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm fine with seeing new heroes appear in the new trilogy. Very much like the original SW:ANH had older leftover characters from the prequel era. However, I think, like Vader,
    Luke probably should be a prominent character for the rest of the sequel trilogy. Leia as president of the new republic. Solo as the general of the armies or maybe head
    of the hyperspace route exploratory commission or something like that.

5. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm firmly-rooted in the group who hopes to see Luke with a son in the ST, but in a sense, whether Luke has any children, or no, if we do see a New Jedi Order (and I think most of us imagine we probably will), Luke will almost have to serve as a "father," of sorts, to its members, so I think there's a good amount of merit in your idea. :)

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  6. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Odds are he'll be The Obi-Wan in Episode VII.

7. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    [face_dunno]Maybe. We know Lucas has written the treatment, and given George's history of 'rhyming,' it wouldn't surprise me if Luke's story in the ST reflects that of Obi-Wan's from the OT, somewhat.

But that said, with so much having changed, I wouldn't personally feel confident in saying what the odds are for almost any facet of this new story, least of all expecting a franchise character like Luke getting the same treatment that two unknowns did in IV and I. Part of the fun, yes?

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think he'll be the Obi-Wan or Qui-Gon character of the ST. He'll most likely be the mentor figure for the next generation but the difference between Luke and Obi-Wan/Qui-Gon is that Luke is one of two main characters of the saga. I think like his father he'll have a six film arc and when you think about it they had to replace Obi-Wan with Yoda in ESB but who better to be the mentor figure through the entire trilogy than Luke Skywalker (and if they want to mirror a mentor death then they can have Luke die in the final film like Yoda.) So if this pans out Episodes I-VI would be the Tragedy of Darth Vader and Episodes IV-IX would be the Adventures of Luke Skywalker.

The Bops and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  9. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Mentor characters do not have a good survival rate for opening episodes of trilogies. So if Luke is Obi-Wan, he's toast. If Luke is Yoda, he's in the entire ST.

10. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    Aw, I so hope this doesn't turn out to be true. I'd much rather the Yoda idea, to be honest. Mark Hamill seems as if he's been gearing up for this role for years now, and I want him to have as much screen time as can possibly be allotted; they should just have him in the background for every shot, or maybe he can dress up as set pieces scattered throughout the scenes he's not partaking in, ha.

As for the role of the Skywalker family, I think that the Skywalker legacy will continue to play a central role, and Anakin will somehow be cast into the storyline, as well. It's been about the Skywalker's for so long now that it'd be kind of bizarre to not include them in some way in the ST. It's hard to imagine Luke not forming a Jedi Council by the time the events of VII unfold, too. I'm hoping that Leia is a Jedi this time around also, because the books kept her as much more of a political figure.

Jeff Zach likes this.
  11. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012

I'm hoping for both on some level, though I could see her spending more of her time as politician. Though I am hoping to see her use the Force and in a lightsaber duel. And after the duel, someone could be like, "You're a Jedi?!"

"Part time"

12. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    ^ IF the ST had been made back in the 90's with a younger Carrie Fisher I could've gotten on board with this. But at this stage I can't see Carrie wielding lightsaber. However, I titally think Mark will (and probably has) dedicated himself to getting into shape for any possible duels he may have.

13. ObidioJuan

ObidioJuan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2002
    Hmm. Not sure that Leia can be a politician AND Jedi Master. It would be too much like Palps being in power. For the other people.
    I actually thought she would be full on Jedi but now in her older age a bit more as a retired General/diplomat.
    Luke has to be the new Yoda for the new Jedi. I expect there will be a NJO with some aspects of what we saw in the PT changed.

14. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    For me, I'm ok with keeping the Skywalker family as the central characters, but I'd prefer to see a passing of the torch to the next generation. This way you still have a connection to the original saga, but allow for a new story arc or to expand the story beyond just the Skywalker family. The story of Anakin has been told. The story of Luke and Leia have been told. At this point, it's time to tell the end of their stories and move to the next generation of characters.

15. titansupes

titansupes Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 30, 2013
    Well, to be fair, Obi-Wan was toast... and still fulfilled the mentor role on screen in the next two movies. So if they do indeed follow the Obi-Wan pattern, we'll still get Mark on screen as Luke for three more movies.

Personally, though, I still feel like Han will inherit that spot, and Luke will be equivalent to Yoda (though with an important role in the first movie of the trilogy).

16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Okay, here's what I see for the Skywalkers:

Luke:
    Luke's a busy man. Not only did he recreate the Jedi order, he now leads it and trains new Padawans. His life is one of constant duty, but also rewarding. Luke still honors his friendships and allows himself some downtime. The relationship to his students is very fatherly compared to that of PT master-student pairs. This leaves him open to betrayal and in the course of the story he is hurt very badly by someone he trusted. How do you bring someone as powerful as Luke down? By betrayal.

Leia:
    Wise leader of the Republic and mother. Quite possible we will see her give a speech about the necessity of upholding peace. When the senate chamber (or something) is attacked, she suddenly whips out a lightsaber and surprises everyone in the audience.

Han:
    This is the hardest. How can you portray an aged Han Solo without losing his essence? As a general? Nah, generals are bound by regulations and orders. As a loving dad mowing his front yard? Boring. I have given this some thought and now I would like to see him as a sidekick for the new heroes. If they visit the seedy underbelly of the Republic together, he can show them a lot of awesome scoundrel tricks and show us that the real Han Solo is still alive and kickin'.

Han and Leia's daughter:
    Trains as a Jedi while Han is distrustful of the "hokey religion" business and wishes his daughter were less "Jedi" and more wordly. It gnaws at him that she is in many ways closer to her uncle than to him, but he can't really do anything about it. So when they travel on an adventure together, he sees an opportunity to bond with his daughter. This plot is the backbone of the movie.
    I chose a daughter here because we've seen enough father/son relationships now. It would be nice to focus on females a bit more than in the past.

17. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The idea with Han and his daughter could be very good. I noticed that you didn't list Luke having a child of his own, though. Are you against the idea of him having one, or do you just think he won't?

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  18. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I'm absolutely not opposed to Luke marrying and having kids. Its just that they have to fit so many things into this movie already, so I doubt they will burden themselves with introducing a wife and a kid too.

19. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    There doesn't have to be a wife — people have kids out of wedlock all the time, and Luke having a child could be the big surprise in the ST. I'm only saying this because I want the Skywalker name to continue in the next trilogy or trilogies, of course. :p

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Maybe Tatooine wasn't so boring after all. :p

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  21. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Who knows, maybe he took up Podracing and met some hotshot mechanic. :)

Well, anyway. What if someone, like say, the daughter of some imperial governor or some such plotted to have a child with the famous Luke Skywalker in order to gain an edge over her adversaries in what was left of the Empire? And after doing so and going into hiding, this woman has helped elevate her son to be the next ruler of the Imperial Remnant, but not before he has studied from a Sith Holocron that her family had kept as a souvenir for centuries.

22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Hm, it's kinda like Luke's and Vader's roles reversed. Could be interesting.

23. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    The ST would feel really strange to me if it didn't center on the Skywalker family. And I'm partial to it continuing Luke's story and the story of any family he may have picked up over the past 30 years. It'd be odd to abruptly shift the focus 2/3 of the way through the saga. Imagine you're reading a 300 page novel and all of a sudden the protagonist of the last 100 pages is someone different. Not the best storytelling.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  24. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    But you could also look at it as how would you like to read the same book over and over again. I think they need to pass the torch to a new generation of Skywalkers. It's time to close the book on Luke, Leia, and Han, and move on to new Skywalkers and Solos. I'm not saying kill them off, just move beyond them. The other thing, is we need to see these three movies summarize and wrap up the entire saga. These next three movies have to start pointing towards a finishing point. Which, in my humble opinion, means in doing so, they need to close the chapters on the characters from the original story arc. And the beauty of introducing a new generation of characters is if they choose to make movies beyond the next three episodes, you have a base group to build those stories on, instead of trying to hold onto and milk as much as possible out of an old story.

25. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I wouldn't want to reread a book with bad storytelling that switches protagonists 2/3 of the way through.