main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Man of Steel - Still awesome

The Conjuring - Second time i've seen this movie, and it still scares me, bloody heartbeat rises up, but still, a great horror movie

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  2. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Fun filmnerd fact: Michael Douglas' real last name is not Douglas. Michael Keaton's real last name IS Douglas, but he had to change it because of Douglas.

Frank T. likes this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    500 Days of Summer (2009)

A quirky little romantic comedy that I very much enjoyed on many levels.

4. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I don't like that movie. JGL's character and Summer were insufferable ludicrously self-absorbed hipster twits, each for different reasons. And why is the little sister the "wise" one? wtf? Who goes to a 14-year-old for advice on anything, let alone romance? And the movie outright says it's not about "romance" but then what is it about? Hahahahaha the woman at the end is named Autumn because fate. I'd complain about it more but I saw it like a year and a half ago.

Mortimer Snerd, Bacon164 and tom like this.
  5. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Whatever one may think of Mortal Kombat, at least it embraced the game it was based on. The people who made Street Fighter were like "Forget the game, let's base it on Megaforce.".

6. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I never saw Street Fighter, but Mortal Kombat is pretty bad. The only thing that really makes it any good is Christopher Lambert's totally committed, insane performance.

And I come back to you now, at the turn of the tide . . . [face_rofl]=D=

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  7. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
  8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I like the sequel, Big Fish: The Revenge.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    House on Haunted Hill (1999) - The heck was this? The cast wasn't even in a house, it was a freaking asylum, disaster of a movie

Todd the Jedi likes this.
  10. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    The East

Another very good film featuring Brit Marling. I really like her style.

And she sleeps on the floor.

11. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    White House Down a ridiculous movie wherein, despite acknowledging the fact that the USA has a pretty obvious, well-known line of Presidential succession, the plot procedes as if it doesn't have one at all, thus allowing for barters like a complete, permanent withdrawal of the US from the Korean DMZ in exchange for the life of the President. And nuclear launch codes. The protagonist is Bruce Willis from Die Hard, complete with taunting the villain via some sort of walkie-talkie as the two sides stalk each other through the building. This is a thoroughly stupid movie that should not have been made or watched.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004

(Language warning)

13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    Independence Day - Awesome movie, can't wait for the Sequel

Juliet316 likes this.
  14. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Apollo 18- Really, I only saw the credits. But never has my heart felt so full. Everyone go see this tremendous film. Now.

Chancellor_Ewok likes this.
  15. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012

Please never breed.

Anyway...Thor 2: The Dark World. I thought it was trite, formulaic, and lacking, save for a few pretty funny moments. Oh, and I still love Loki, so there's that.

16. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    Lambert always has that look on his face like he just passed gas and he's waiting for everyone around him to smell it.

We're the Millers (2013) - I love you Jennifer Aniston. Oh, and your movie is predictable, but funny. - 6.5/10

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    lol, you know Lambert is basically blind without his glasses, right? Still funny, though.

18. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    And apparently he can't wear contacts, so when you see him slashing around with his sword in those Highlander flicks, he's like a blindfolded kid swinging a stick at a piñata... if that stick weighed 15 lbs and was semi-sharp and the piñata were alive. Clancy Brown deserved hazard pay.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    A Christmas Story:

I've practically got this one memorized but no matter how many times I watch it, it's still great. The movie takes an ordinary family in ordinary situations, with the entire premise of the movie revolving around a kid wanting a BB gun for Christmas, and makes it entertaining.

"My father worked in profanity the way other artists work in oils and clay. It was his true medium, a master." I love The Old Man, even in the scene when he's too lazy to get up and serve his own damn red cabbage.

Randy in so many coats that he can't move; my warm-climate no-school-in-snow brain is still working on that one.

The flag pole. "I triple dog dare you." 'Nuff said.

Ralphie's melodramatic fantasies over his theme and getting his mouth washed out with soap. And saving his family from convicts with masks. LOL.

And yes, Ralphie, um, kept the bully from terrorizing other kids. :D

That lamp, holy hell, that damn lamp. One thing I noticed on this viewing that I had never seen before, was the mother snickering in the background as the hastily glued lamp fell apart in the Old Man's hands.

That was a pretty rude department store Santa but the boot on the head was probably the funniest scene in the film.

Nice family scene on Christmas morning, with the pink bunny suit thrown in for good comedy.

My extended family all have dogs and there are plenty of Bumpus hound jokes when we get together on Thanksgiving. "Sonsof*****es Bumpuses!"

And the final scene with the kids asleep, adult Ralphie musing over his greatest Christmas gift...Awww.

Sarge and CT-867-5309 like this.
  20. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    The World's End, I'm not sure if this was supposed to be a comedy because it was rather depressing. It had good moments though.

21. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Cloud Atlas (2012)

I thought this was really good. The Wachowskis have certainly come a long way from The Matrix. I loved how each story intertwined, as if time itself was not actually linear, and the actions of the past have huge impacts on the actions of the future, and vice versa. Some of the makeup effects wound up in the Uncanny Valley, but for the most part they looked really good. And I thought everyone gave great performances, especially Hanks and Broadbent. Whasisface, Q, was also pretty good in a more nuanced way. I did like some of the hamminess all around, from Hugo Weaving's Witch Doctor devil to Jim Broadbent's activities in the mental asylum/retirement home.

As for the idea of reincarnation, I saw two possible interpretations. A. All of the characters with the comet birthmark are the same, and it's a character arc that doesn't necessarily go in chronological order. Or B. All of the characters played by the same actor are the same person. This makes most sense with Hugh Grant and Hugo Weaving's characters, who are all consistently antagonistic in nearly every story they're in. This also makes sense with Jim Sturgess and Doona Bae's characters. It could also be a little of both, but that's the fun part of this movie- figuring out just what is going on.

Ananta Chetan and Frank T. like this.
  22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Quest (1996)

I don't really know if this was Van Damme's attempt at directing and starring in potential Oscar bait or not. If it was:[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]

Darth Raiden likes this.
  23. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    the world's end. it was a lot better than "this is the end", but i thought it suffered a bit from the same problem where once the plot kicked in it kind of stopped being funny. the part where simon pegg was trying to take a drink of his beer while fighting off robots was priceless though.

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Adventures of Tintin: Secret of the Unicorn. Again.

25. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Nixon, directed by Oliver Stone.

Read someone here really liked it.

It was definitely worth the watch. Anthony Hopkins looks nothing like Nixon, of course, but that doesn't matter. He nails the mannerisms and the voice, which is what really counts when it comes to portraying Nixon, although having the ski jump nose wouldn't have hurt. I am still doing my research to find out which parts of the movie are fact and which parts are the usual Oliver Stone bull****.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.